A 19-year-old Danville man was sentenced to six years in state prison today after pleading guilty to the February rape of a 14-year-old girl.
The rape took place on Feb. 18 in Nesis' car while he was parked at the Walnut Creek BART station, Deputy District Attorney Nancy Georgiou said.
Attorneys in court today said the 19-year-old has also been ordered to pay restitution in another criminal case.
"You have preyed on at least two vulnerable individuals in such a way that it causes great concern," Judge Clare Maier said in Contra Costa County Superior Court today.
Last month, the judge heard comments from the victim in the case, who is now 15 years old.
Maier said those words moved her and in addition to other allegations against the defendant, caused her to reject a three-year sentence in exchange for a guilty plea proposed last month.
She ordered Nesis to register for the rest of his life as a sex offender and to undergo three years of parole upon his release from prison. He has so far served 300 days of his sentence since his arrest earlier this year.
Nesis was also ordered to pay restitution costs to the victim, referred to in court as Jane Doe.
For her, the heftier sentence imposed today comes as a relief.
"It's like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders," she said. "(The judge) listened to my voice, and I know I got a big opportunity there."
This story contains 286 words.
If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.
If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.