Danville Police Chief Chris Wenzel reports that accident rates are down by one-third in this town, which he attributes to safety campaigns, including Click It or Ticket, which began in 2005.
California is hoping to get to the top in the nation in seatbelt usage; currently it is ranked fourth highest, at 94.6 percent. To this end, more than 280 law agencies throughout the state will participate in Click It or Ticket, which uses public education as well as enforcement. Nighttime patrols will boost compliance at night.
The disturbing news in California is that teen seatbelt usage lags behind the general population. In 2007, it was 88.9 percent, well below the overall state rate of 94.6 percent. This campaign is a good time for the remaining 5.4 percent of the population - and the 11.1 percent of teens - to get into the habit of "clicking it."
This story contains 294 words.
If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.
If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.