The home was unoccupied at the time, and the fire was reported to 911 emergency dispatch by several neighbors. There were no injuries reported, and firefighters successfully rescued two cats from the residence.
The cause has been determined as a chimney fire that burned into the attic. The structure sustained about $350,000 in damage and $100,000 in content loss.
"It is essential that all chimney improvements be permitted by your local building department and inspected for proper installation," said Fire Marshal Christina Jamison. "There have been several chimney-related fires in our district over the past few months, many of which could have been avoided by proper construction, inspection and maintenance."
San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District reminds residents to have their chimneys inspected by a licensed company and cleaned at least once a year. Also, remember to allow ashes to cool before removing them from the fireplace, and dispose of ashes in an approved metal container outside the home. For more information, visit www.srvfire.ca.gov.
This story contains 254 words.
If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.
If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.