News

Danville boy, 11, injured in van/bicycle crash

Cyclist hospitalized with broken leg

A Danville boy was hospitalized Monday after he was struck by a van while riding his bicycle near Diablo Vista Middle School.

CHP Officer Steve Creel said the incident occurred at 3:50 p.m. Monday on Camino Tassajara near Hansen Lane. The victim, an 11-year-old Danville boy, was riding on Hansen Lane crossing Camino Tassajara at the signalized intersection.

"Witnesses said he was crossing against the light," said Creel. "He made it across the eastbound lanes but was hit in the westbound lanes by a Toyota Sienna van."

The impact reportedly smashed the windshield of the van and threw the youth to the ground. Creel said the young cyclist was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash.

Paramedics were called to the scene by CHP, and the boy was airlifted from the roadway and transported to Children's Hospital Oakland. He was reported in fair condition Tuesday, having suffered a broken leg in the crash.

Creel said no charges have been filed as the investigation of the crash has not been completed.

Comments

Posted by Kathy
on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:21 am

I drove by the scene at 3:55. My first thought was "I hope this is not a child from Diablo Vista". Unfortunately this was the case. The importance of bike safety needs to be stressed with our children. As drivers we need to exercise extreme caution around all school zones. What a awful experience for both people involved. I wish the best for both families.

Posted by Linda
a resident of Stone Valley Middle School
on Sep 23, 2009 at 8:02 am

I agree with Kathy, that as drivers we need to exercise extreme caution around all school zones, but the dangerous and illegal actions of the bicycle riders must be addressed! Bicycle safety must be enforced. The laws must be understood. Parents, help enforce this. Teach your child the law, don't let your child get on the bike without a helmet. School Administration and teachers, spend a day out in front of your schools, and watch what is going on. Danville Police, Contra Costa Sheriff, stop looking the other way. Let's not wait until a child is killed.

Posted by Mark
on Sep 23, 2009 at 8:31 am

It was so disturbing to have arrived at Diablo Vista just minutes after the accident. My whole family is relieved to hear that the injuries were not more serious and we send our blessings and prayers to this child and his family.

It is so unfortunate that a child got injured but we must all learn the importance (as previously mentioned) of bicycle safety and wearing a helmet.

Parents, please enforce these safety rules. Thankyou!

Posted by Renee
on Sep 23, 2009 at 8:41 am

EVERYONE should be wearing a helmet while riding a bike!! Camino Tassajara is like a speedway!! I just wish more tickets were issued, to spread the word! I do not think any of us want to have that "Call" or knock on the door. We all need to talk, not just to our children...I see adults daily on CT, not wearing their helmets!! Lets all work together, sirens mean trouble....and most times UGLY trouble!!

Posted by Anono Mouse
on Sep 23, 2009 at 9:00 am

It is frightening that kids aren't obeying the rules. Recently, after I've dropped off my child at middle school (not DV, I've seen boys biking and skateboarding to school in the MIDDLE of a street! I'm sure their parents would be horrified. I wasn't close to them, but if I see it again I'm going to stop and talk to them. Maybe they will think twice if I tell them someone just was hit.

Posted by Ravi
on Sep 23, 2009 at 9:06 am

It is good to hear that this was not a fatal incident. I agree with all the poster that kids needs to take needed precaution. Luckily my son, who does wear helmet, takes the back road to bike to school, but such incident could happen anywhere. But, us drivers need to be careful too. In many occasions I have noticed that the speed on Camino Tassajara has been going up - let's show down. Secondly, we live in community where more large SUVs compare to regular cars on the road. The visibility and impact are much larger.

Posted by Roberta Motter
a resident of Los Cerros Middle School
on Sep 23, 2009 at 11:17 am

What my husband and I have our three kids(8yrs, 12yrs, 15 yrs.)do,
is read the article of any accident involving kids. Yes, we do talk to them, inform them, and teach them. But we feel that by having them read about it will be another way to learn a lesson.
We all, parents and driving teenagers, need to drive with caution around schools.
I'm so thankful for this boy and his family the he got away with a broken leg and not more serious injuries. Thank you God!

Posted by MOM
on Sep 23, 2009 at 11:05 pm

As a parent(s) living right down town, I have been very concerned about this for a long time... I expressed my concern "directly" to the Danville PD via an email... I actually received a response.. I was told that my children and I should attend a "bike safety program" at my local school.. I explained that I enforce bike safety rules daily with my own three kids...But according to my teens "it's not a big deal mom, no one wears helmets, the police pass right by us and dont care" So I asked the authorites about the comments/opinions of my teens and there friends. I explained as a parent these rules are very hard to enforce when the police officers dont follow thru with the law. I told them, daily I see kids/teens riding in front our local PD.I have never once seen a ticket issued..Or even a chld pulled over.... I was told we (The town of Danville/ Police agencies) had rec's several thousand dollars in grant money to enforce and educate our children about bike safety rules. The crack down would be forth coming...That was at least 6 months ago...hhhmmm!!!!!Still waiting!!!

Posted by 4Mom
on Sep 24, 2009 at 8:49 am

Do you know when my kids realized the seriousness of bike safety? When they became drivers! Although they wore helmets and followed the rules when they were young, now that they drive they frequently complain about how bikers (of all ages) make them nervous by not obeying traffic rules. Kids may not think clearly at all times, but parents need to set examples of bike safety, just like everything else we model for our children. Everyone should follow the rules and wear helmets!

Posted by A concerned mom
on Sep 24, 2009 at 2:02 pm

THANK GOD for both families involved that the boy is alive! This could have been tragic for both families! First of all, we need to enforce the helmet law as well as traffic law, and it needs to start at home when they are very young to get them used to obeying traffic signals and wearing a helmet. Secondly, I always see people speeding down CT. The speed limit is 45, but we all need to adjust our speed according to conditions of the road and children present.

Posted by karen
on Sep 26, 2009 at 6:09 pm

It doesn't matter how cautious drivers are or how slow they go. If basic traffic signals are ignored someone gets hurt! Look both ways, green means go, red means stop.

Posted by karen
on Sep 26, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Posted by karen
on Sep 26, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Posted by Annonymous
on Sep 28, 2009 at 9:36 am

Danville drivers need to be more aware of pedestrians in general. This is a small town where there is a constant flow of children and adults walking, running or riding bikes around town. Drivers need to be more alert and conscious of the people in their community.

Posted by Simple Rules
on Sep 28, 2009 at 9:29 pm

When growing up years ago, we were taught that vehicles were something to be cautious of when encountering, either, on foot or bicycle. You stopped at the corner, obeyed the traffic lights, or looked both ways, and only when it was clear you crossed. As the years have worn on, the entitlement attitude by bike riders and pedestrians have gotten ridiculous. A litigious mentality of, hit me and I'll sue you for everything you're worth, has taken over to the point that following the law has been shoved aside. Pedestrians that step off a curb without looking any direction, those that make jaywalking a way of life because they can't take the time to cross properly, bicyclists that ignore stop signs and signals, and cruise right on through, are beginning to out number those that follow the law. We will only see more and more of these tragic car verses human incidents unless the entitlement attitude is replaced with one of common sense. But until that happens, if it ever happens, it will be these accidents that cull those that don't follow the simple rules.

Posted by Davide