News

Solo car crash kills Monte Vista grad

Jason Cox, a resident of Danville and graduate of Monte Vista High School, died in a solo car crash Saturday morning, Dec. 12, the day after he turned 21.

"At about 7:25 in the morning, Danville police received a call there had been a traffic collision, a solo vehicle accident near Dustin Lane," reported Danville police Lt. Mark Williams. "The solo driver was driving westbound in a Chevy blazer, and for unknown reasons left the road."

The vehicle ended up in Green Valley Creek, and the driver was apparently killed on impact. San Ramon Valley firefighters responded as well, and Mr. Cox was announced dead at the scene.

"At this point it looks like he drove straight off the roadway, launching off the bridge. The vehicle rotated upside down and landed on its roof," said Williams.

An autopsy was performed this morning, said Williams, although it looks so far like Mr. Cox died from internal injuries. He was not wearing a seatbelt.

"There were no skid marks," Williams added, noting that even in rainy conditions there will be some kind of skid marks.

The complete investigation could take up to six weeks, said Williams, as an impact team shoots the scene, takes measurements, interviews people, and recreates the accident as closely as possible. The vehicle will also be examined.

Mr. Cox attended Los Cerros Middle School and graduated from Monte Vista in 2007, where he played varsity baseball. He currently attended Diablo Valley College and was employed by Sports Authority.

He is survived by his parents, Marcia and David Cox of Danville, and numerous aunts and uncles. A Memorial Service will be held at 11 a.m., Thursday, Dec. 17, at St. Timothy's Episcopal Church, 1550 Diablo Road in Danville with a reception to follow. Donations may be made to Tony La Russa's Animal Rescue Foundation or the Monument Crisis Center in Concord.

Comments

Posted by nolan
on Dec 14, 2009 at 6:20 pm

RIP jason

Posted by kerrey Saunders
on Dec 14, 2009 at 7:36 pm

I am so sorry for your loss...I remember Jason playing ball with Grant on several teams. Our prayers and thoughts are with your family at this time.

Posted by . . .
on Dec 14, 2009 at 10:02 pm

RIP Jason :(
He used to drive me crazy in middle school, but I will never forget his funny ways.
By the way he went to Los Cerros Middle School, not El Cerro.

Posted by lil
on Dec 15, 2009 at 5:19 am

This is so devastating. I am so sorry for your loss my thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
Jason was the sweetest person I have ever met.
Rest in peace Jason you are truely missed and never will you be forgotten.

Posted by wes
on Dec 15, 2009 at 8:38 am

R.I.P. Jason you will always be missed

man did we have some great times playin ball freshmen and soph years...every good time we had i will always remember

Posted by John Vasquez
a resident of another community
on Dec 15, 2009 at 10:55 am

Jason you will be missed, Love you man -your big brother "Sancho".

Posted by Pam
on Dec 15, 2009 at 10:57 am

My heart goes out to Jason's family. My prayers are with you.

Posted by Christopher H. Khan
a resident of another community
on Dec 15, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Jason you will be greatly missed. I wish there was more that I could have said to you while you were part of my life. I don't understand why these things happen. May God give your parent peace and strength during this difficult time. Your extended family in San Jose will miss you greatly.

Posted by heather
a resident of another community
on Dec 15, 2009 at 7:04 pm

hi everyone my name is heather. ive known jason since i was born. i am getting a website together in honor of jason. i will post the link when its done. you can leave your comments on there too. if anyone know one of his favorite songs will you please let me know by posting it here that would be great.

Posted by Coco
on Dec 15, 2009 at 8:13 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Jason. May I send my condolences to his family.

Posted by chris trout
on Dec 15, 2009 at 8:22 pm

jason my best friend, ive known you since i got out of high school although it feels longer...i will always remember the great time we have had, ill never forget your laught. may all the good times be remembered and you of course never forgotten how could i forget you were such a big part of my life...miss u forever chalup!!!

-chris trout

Posted by Charlie Rigolfi
on Dec 15, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Rest in Paradise Jason- I wish I was back spittin' seeds on the field, playin' ball freshman year. God bless you and your family.

Posted by Nicole Newsom
on Dec 15, 2009 at 11:31 pm

R.I.P. Jason. I miss you so much. Although I am so glad I was about to talk to you on your birthday, there was still so much more I wish I could have said to you. You are so sweet and I will never forget you. I know you will be watching over us.

<3 Nicole Newsom

Posted by Mike
a resident of another community
on Dec 16, 2009 at 3:13 pm

www.jasoncoxmemorial.webs.com
Please visit the site, share your thoughts about Jason, any prayers for his family, email me any pictures of Jason that you may have. Thank you.

Posted by Theo
on Dec 16, 2009 at 11:23 pm

RIP Jason. Ill never forget the adventure we had in that golf cart lol

Posted by Jay c.
a resident of another community
on Dec 18, 2009 at 11:32 am

Jason, you were a dear friend to me and really touched my life. You will always be a guiding light in my heart. Thanks for the incredible amount of laughter you brought me. You helped me through some pretty tough times more than you will ever know. To his parents, he will remain an inspiration deep into my soul forever. Thank you for such a great son!!

Posted by Katherine Dewitt
a resident of another community
on Dec 20, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Jason,

Although I only knew you a short while, I will never forget the bond we shared, we laughed together so many times, we shared our hopes, dreams and fears, and I will always remember your childlike wisdom and fabulous smile, (and your Chilean french toast.) My heart goes out to your family and I can only hope God had a bigger and better plan for you in heaven. You will be missed my friend!

Posted by Heather stretch
a resident of Blackhawk
on Dec 23, 2009 at 8:47 am

jason - i didn't know you but i am a parent. you have obviously touched so many in your short life. this is so devastating; sweet boy - may you rest in eternal peace. my prayers are with you, your parents and family. god bless you.