News

Man robs Danville Chase, escapes with approximately $20,000

A man robbed the Chase bank at 661 San Ramon Valley Blvd. around 10:15 Monday morning, according to Police Chief Steve Simpkins.

The suspect, a male in his 20's described as African American or Middle Eastern and wearing a white turban, approached a teller and demanded money. No weapon was seen and no one was injured during the robbery, but the suspect escaped on foot with approximately $20,000.

"The suspect matches the description of a variety of bank robberies around the Bay Area and California. We have a very strong lead as to his identity," said Simpkins.

Witnesses told responding officers that they had seen a person matching the suspect's description running north from the scene.

The FBI is assisting Danville Police and a suspect has been tentatively identified in the robbery. The person of interest is believed to be involved in five or six other bank robberies in the Bay Area since February.

Any person with information on the robbery or the suspect is encouraged to contact Sgt. Allan Shields at 314-3703 or ashields@danville.ca.gov.

Comments

Posted by cardinal, a resident of Diablo
on Mar 8, 2011 at 7:43 am

Thief answers to the name "Robin." Portly gent seen driving the getaway cart.

Posted by spcwt, a resident of Danville
on Mar 8, 2011 at 8:03 am

Am I the only one who gets grossed out looking at that fat belly on that banner ad up there for the Tri Valley Laser Clinic? Jessica, any chance they might consider using a different picture? Thanks

Posted by cardinal, a resident of Diablo
on Mar 8, 2011 at 8:48 am

You need an ad blocker -- wish I remembered where I got mine. Maybe someone under thirty could post a solution?

Say -- you don't suppose he might have been the getaway driver...?

Posted by Questions, a resident of San Ramon
on Mar 8, 2011 at 8:58 am

You can try: Adblock Plus...an Add on for Firefox.

Posted by Marie, a resident of Danville
on Mar 8, 2011 at 11:13 am

Dear Danville Express:

Thank you for posting the picture, but now I have more questions…

1. Why didn't you post it before I asked?
2. Why did you delete the 3 comments from yesterday?

I understand that you don't want your competitor's name posted. I can appreciate that! You could have deleted the weblink and name instead of the entire comment(s).

I have been viewing your website since you opened it and prefer it over your competitor. The only reason why I go to that other site is because they always give more details. I prefer the look and feel of the Express better, so I'm hoping that maybe you can release more information in the future so that I won't have to look else where.

Please answer my questions. I have asked in the past, but you never replied. Thanks.

Posted by Jessica Lipsky, a resident of Danville
on Mar 8, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Marie,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you in a timely manner.

I didn't post the pictures until after you said something because I didn't receive them until after business hours. My mother is in town from Atlanta and I didn't spend the evening attached to my laptop as I normally would (even journalists need some R and R). As for the comments, I just wanted to save face. I meant no disrespect.

I appreciate your loyalty to Express and I understand why you compare us to Patch. They're able to have more information because they a) have more funding as they're owned by AOL and, thus, b)can afford freelancers and reporters to provide a wealth of information -- we have a staff of five.

As you have probably noticed, I'm new to the Express. I'm trying to integrate as much information as possible on to all of our sites on a daily basis, but I know I have a ways to go. It's difficult sometimes, because even if there's big news like the bank robbery, I still have to put together the rest of the site (the more mundane stories still need their headlines too).

Keep reading and I'll keep trying harder.

Jessica Lipsky
Editor

Posted by Marie, a resident of Danville
on Mar 8, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Thank you!

Posted by whats up Jessica, a resident of Danville
on Mar 8, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Jessica you are a great editor and i love the Danville express. however, deleting posts that are not filled with expletives and trash that go against public opinion and are constructed intelligently and creatively is really not a good way to maintain your objectivity and does not do anyone justice. think back to your journalism classes in college. are you providing a forum for public opinion regarding current events and newsworthy material to the people of Danville? OR are you adding to censorship in privileged areas helping to maintain the facade that everything is all right. please do not be insulted by this post. just ask yourself, what would my professor say? we all know you don't plan to be editor forever and i hope you have a rewarding career in whichever direction you choose to take it. Pls fox news coulk always use someone like you. keep it up. and i am an avid fan of fox. this is not a slam.

Posted by jrm, a resident of Vista Grande Elementary School
on Mar 9, 2011 at 12:53 pm

jrm is a registered user.

Jessica...I think you are doing an awesome job...many times I have noticed updates posted after 9:00 P.M. and I always think...geeze...what the heck is she doing working so late? I and many others appreciate your great work. I am not slamming the competition, but I do not like their layout at all. Too confusing to follow, the Express is far superior in my view. I bet your Mom enjoys perusing the results of her daughter's hard work everyday!
thanks again---
JRM

Posted by Derek, a resident of Danville
on Mar 9, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Okee dokee, put de money in de bag vedy, vedy quickly, tank you, and bye bye now. Have nice day.
This guy has some serious brass you-know-what's. Think about the location. You have to get out of a somewhat congested parking area, and then (whether you veer south or north from the bank) you have to wait for a light to get across San Ramon Road before you can get to 680. And still he/they didn't get caught.
I guess all our constables were tied up at The Vine watching for intoxicated yuppies............

Posted by Chuck, a resident of Danville
on Mar 10, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I believe that "whats up Jessica" meant to say "Faux News."

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.