News

Hosting the Congressman

McNerney meets supporters in Alamo home

Chia-Chia Chien, head of the Culture to Culture Foundation, introduced U.S. Rep. Jerry McNerney (D., Pleasanton) to a room full of friends and supporters at her Alamo home Sunday. The Congressman thanked those in attendance for their support and their work in the community, and also mingled to meet people and answer their questions.

Chien, a widely recognized social worker, founded Culture to Culture 10 years ago to promote mental health and emotional wellness within the Bay Area's Asian-American population. She has integrated the Chinese seniors group that formerly met in Alamo into the Danville Seniors, which holds a popular exercise and dance meeting from 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesdays, open to all.

Culture to Culture also sponsors the annual Senior Volunteers Awards, now in their fourth year, that are presented in October, with nominations due Sept. 1. Learn more here.

Comments

Posted by George
on May 3, 2011 at 7:04 am

This is a story? When he left the function, did he stop to put gas in his car... or maybe he stopped off at the dry cleaners? When he comes up with a solution to the federal deficit (which he created through his votes), stimulating the economy, bringing gas prices down, or something meaningful... THAT would be a story.

Posted by Duffy
on May 3, 2011 at 8:28 am

I misread the headline, I thought it said "Hoisting the Congressman"

Posted by jrm
a resident of Vista Grande Elementary School
on May 3, 2011 at 12:43 pm

jrm is a registered user.

Typical asinine comments from you two miscreants, in particular to Duffy, I suggest you think twice before you threaten a member of Congress with lynching. It's not at all funny.

Posted by American
on May 3, 2011 at 7:59 pm

JRM: Take a deep breath and relax, nobody(but you) thought that Duffy suggested lynching a member of Congress. I also agree with George, this seems like a non-news issue.

Posted by jrm
a resident of Vista Grande Elementary School
on May 3, 2011 at 8:11 pm

jrm is a registered user.

Sorry American, but I happen to be in Tucson on business and folks down here are a bit sensitive about this. But given your high level of literacy demonstrated in the past, if you were "hoisted" by Duffy and George what exactly would they be doing to you? Hoisted on their shoulders? Or nautical terms of deserved physical punishment of recalcitrant sailors? Or hoisted up on a horse, noose on neck and having the horse shooed away. Figures you Chevron boys like this kind of swaggering locker room bullying of my congressman. I just think it is in bad taste and I am not alone. Enough already, Jerry won...find the middle ground and be proactive with a positive view of compromise.

Posted by American
on May 4, 2011 at 7:08 am

JRM: If you have actually been reading some of the recent stories on the Danville Express, you will note that the editor unfortunately has made several spelling mistakes, which people have commented on, and I assume Duffy was referring to that, rather than some kind of threat of violence. However, as usual, you immediately respond with angry, nasty, labels, calling George and Duffy "miscreants" and that their opinions are "asinine". You then call me a "Chevron boy"(f.y.I. I have never worked for, or any business, connected to Chevron) and a "swaggering locker room bully"(f.y.I., trust me, there is no swagger in my old body, and when I was an athlete I was the last person you would ever call a locker room bully)

JRM, you do not have to agree with the opinions of people on this blog, and in fact, you do not even have to attempt to understand the factual basis of any opinions. But I, and most readers, would love it if you kept your angry, nasty, labeling to a minimum. Every once in a while, I even agree with your opinions(Town Manager being overpaid, concerns about public employee pensions on the budget, etc), but you lose credibility when you immediately start throwing personal flames at people. Take a walk in that beautiful Tuscon dessert, and calm down.

Posted by billr
on May 4, 2011 at 7:55 am

Does the Danville Express endorse McNerney? Why don't you just give him his own page to talk about all that is in his world!

I know he is not in mine!