News

'Scary Larry' retiring after 20-year reign of 'terror'

Infamous DMV instructor isn't so scary, after all

Drivers-to-be in line at the Pleasanton DMV smiled uneasily at the thought of the legendary man who might be their driving test examiner.

"I hear that he wears a lei and he's really strict," said Allie Dutto, 16, of Danville.

A few feet behind her in line, Divya Eppiah, also from Danville, who was getting her learner's permit, chimed in with her own warning: "First of all, he's scary -- and it's very unlikely he'll pass you on your driver's test, so you should go somewhere else."

She added that when the time came she planned to be tested at the Walnut Creek Department of Motor Vehicles even though it would mean navigating the twists, turns and right-of-ways in that city.

Larry Chan's reputation obviously precedes him, even among teenagers who have been alive less than the total amount of time he's worked as a licensing registration examiner.

Known as "Scary Larry" Valley-wide, Chan has been the supposed terror of the Pleasanton DMV for 20 years. But on July 29, he will officially retire his clipboard and checklist to "drive into the sunset."

Chan, 63, who has a long ponytail and regularly dons a Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses, says the legend he leaves behind isn't important.

"I have no control over that. I have no control of my nickname. A couple years ago it kind of bothered me, but now I accept it," he said. "I'm here not to be friends, I'm just here to make sure they don't hurt themselves or other people."

While Chan said he is called Scary Larry because he once "slipped" and called a driver scary, an informal survey of Tri-Valley residents told quite a different account. These drivers also told tales of avoiding the Pleasanton DMV.

"Of course kids want to use my nickname to blame me for their fail. That's natural," said Chan, who was quick to point out that his fail rate last year was 32 percent, right in line with the state average of 30 to 33 percent. "They always tell their friends, 'Scary Larry failed me.' I always say it's not me that failed the test it's their driving that failed the test."

Although he accounts for some of the nervousness during the 15-point examination, the thought of driving with Scary Larry made teens at one driving school so anxious that the owners took matters into their own hands to demystify him.

"I had so many students that passed with him, but half get nervous because he's famous as a 'mean man.' Most of the kids have a nightmare about him," said Pari Eshtehardi, office manager and partner at Driversity of Dublin.

Five years ago, the employees at Driversity hung a picture of Chan on their classroom wall with a sign underneath reading: "Larry is our friend." They are still there.

"We just try to let them know that he's not so scary. He's very serious and he goes by the book," Eshtehardi said.

Regardless of the origin of his nickname, or the lore it's created, Chan said the job is his calling. After working at Sears Driving School for three years, the San Leandro resident applied to the Pleasanton DMV where he worked at the window for five years before being promoted.

"If you're a cop you may get shot at, if you're a fireman you may have to go into a burning building. I feel like this job is for me even if it's dangerous," he said.

Chan estimates that he's given approximately 25,000 tests over the past 15 years and has had more than a couple close calls. Fender-benders happen once or twice a year, so "it's not if you have an accident, it's when."

"Fender benders I can take, but close calls are scary," he said. "I had a major head-on collision where a teenage girl was making an unprotected left turn in front of an oncoming car. The car was coming right toward my door and I thought I was going to die. It hit the front of the door, the windshield shattered, and the axle was broken."

During another test, an elderly woman ran into a light pole when she hit the gas instead of the brake -- an incident that may have been catalyst for Chan's nickname. This was but one case of many confused drivers.

"The first year I was an examiner, a teenage kid came to the first intersection at a red light and stated, 'Do I have to stop for this red light?' As soon as I said yes, we had to pull over, park and walk back because I did not trust his driving," Chan said.

Close calls and collisions aside, Chan said it's hard to tell whether young drivers have gotten better or worse over the course of his career.

"They stopped driver's ed and training in high schools around here, so only kids with money could take driver's ed, that cuts out a lot of kids," he said, adding that the education process used to be better. "I do think it's beneficial to take driver's ed from a professional rather than a parent because they pick up the bad habits from their parents. Especially if they're from another country, they drive like they're in that country."

Although Chan enjoys his job, particularly the part where he consults with the parents of his "drives" about their child's strengths and weaknesses, Scary Larry is looking forward to sleeping in and taking road trips to Southern California and Las Vegas.

"I'll probably miss the coworkers," he said. "I look forward to retirement but I am scared because after I clean up the house and paint, I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm thinking about joining a gym.... I don't want to be vegetating."

Chan jokes about opening a driving school called "Scary Larry's" in a few years but until then he takes any recognition as the terror of the Tri-Valley in his stride.

"I walked into hamburger place in San Leandro and mentioned that I worked for the DMV and the owner said, 'Do you know a guy named Crazy Harry?' I said, 'No, I work in Pleasanton, do you mean Scary Larry?' And then I pointed to myself and said, 'That's me,' so he bought me my hamburger."

Comments

Posted by Safe Driver, a resident of Monte Vista High School
on Jul 27, 2011 at 12:24 am

I passed on my first try with Scary Larry...he isn't scary...he is only making sure that kids drive safe. His "tips" to my parents after I passed my exam made me become a more "mature" driver.

Happy Retirement Larry!

Posted by miss drea, a resident of another community
on Jul 27, 2011 at 6:51 am

I hope everyone will stop by this week and wish him goodbye...he truely is a icon of DMV.....we are going to miss his crazy smiles....his stories of ten years ago (hand on head as if your sighing)...sun glasses of every color...Hawaiian shirts....disco music....presents from Vegas.....bright red suspenders....the bag of everything (band-aids...tums...stickers..sodas...filters...)....always has many flashlights on hand.....LOL.....we will miss you Scarey Larry....love bun bun and miss drea

Posted by a parent, a resident of Danville
on Jul 27, 2011 at 7:58 am

Some kids preferred to avoid the Pleasanton DMV so they could avoid Scary Larry. I told my son it was best to have Larry as a tester. If he could pass with Larry, I would feel comfortable that my then 16-year old could safely drive. Thank you, Larry. Your hints were very helpful, too.

Posted by Thanks!, a resident of Monte Vista High School
on Jul 27, 2011 at 8:20 am

All 3 of my kids had their driving tests with "Scarey Larry". They had heard about him and were nervous but he was fair and wanted them to be ready before they hit the road. I am thankful that he expected this for our kids and the communities safety. They all left the test feeling like they were good enough drivers to just pass the test but not cocky enough that they felt like they owned the road. Good job Larry! Enjoy your retirement!

Posted by Deano, a resident of Danville
on Jul 27, 2011 at 10:05 am

My daughter had Scary Larry and I'm glad she did. If she can pass the test with Larry in passenger seat then I trust she can handle the road with her friends in the car. Thank You Larry. Enjoy your retirement

Posted by Monte vista high school graduate 2008, a resident of Alamo
on Jul 27, 2011 at 10:05 am

I had "scary Larry" and passed the first time. If you can drive properly, you'll pass. It's friend that easy! The hawaiian shirt is awesome and he just tells you straight up how you drive. happy retirement Larry, you are awesome!

Posted by Joy Beth, a resident of another community
on Jul 27, 2011 at 10:42 am

Larry, it has been a long road, having worked with you at sears and talking you into working for the DMV with me--glad to see that you are finally going to retire and enjoy what life has to offer you. Enjoyed working with you over the past 20 years-- I am going on 21 myself!! Wishing you all the best.

Posted by Claudette , a resident of another community
on Jul 27, 2011 at 10:45 am

I really like Larry ~ 2 of my 3 kids had Larry and the one that didn't test with him, told me about him. I was nervous about it too, but I found him very casual in his manner of dress so you would think it would relax the drivers... I also found him fair and personable, easy to talk to. He passed both my kids that had him, but the last one he was iffy about. He said to me "He passed but you know, he needs more practice." Larry's got heart. He pointed out my sons weaknesses and gave him great credit for things he felt was very well done and beyond the normal driver he tests.

A good man doing a great job making our streets safe ~ Best of Wishes Larry and thanks for bringing your Unique personality and perspective to your work.

Posted by Pedal Power, a resident of Danville
on Jul 28, 2011 at 9:07 pm

In driving, as with the economy, if you are not at least a little bit scared, you are not paying attention! Larry had the right idea, his job was not a popularity contest, so best wishes in his retirement...

Posted by oakland high dai day, a resident of Danville
on Jul 28, 2011 at 9:23 pm

hi larry, so its scary larry from oakland high !
i passed with you too whew..glad i made it..hope i can stop in to wish you happy retirement!
cheers,
dai day from ohs 65/danville

Posted by C. R. Mudgeon, a resident of Danville
on Aug 1, 2011 at 5:04 pm

My two kids both took their drving test at the Pleasanton DMV - I think from "Scary Larry". One thing that we did do beforehand was to spend a bit of time having them drive around the vicinity of the DMV, so they were a bit acquainted with the area. A little familiarity helped to ease the nerves...

I told my kids to be thankful that they were taking the test in CA, and not in Illinois, where we had previously lived. Although the Illinois written exam is quite a bit easier than the CA written exam, the Illinois driving test required a few things not required in CA, such as backing around a corner in reverse. I want to say that it also required you to parallel park, but maybe that was back in the dark ages, when I got MY driver's license....

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.