News

Local college student among 3 charged with drug manufacturing, house fire in Chico

2008 Amador Valley grad arrested while fleeing blaze with housemates

Three Chico State University students, including a 2008 graduate of Amador Valley High School, were arrested Saturday night after their house caught fire in Chico.

According to a report, the three were trying to cook up hash oil on their kitchen stove when they set the house afire.

The Amador grad, Nicholas Glasco, 21, was charged with manufacturing a controlled substance, along with his housemates Devin Murphy and Cheyenne Havens, both 19.

A Chico police officer cruising past the house in the 1000 block of Warner Street near the college at about 10:15 p.m. spotted the fire and watched the three run outside. The Chico Fire Department responded and put the fire out within minutes. No one was injured, but the home was severely damaged.

"We recommend that people don't try this kind of silly thing, " Chico police Sgt. Billy Aldridge told News 12, the CBS affiliate in Chico.

The three were booked into the Butte County Jail and are being held on $100,000 bonds.

Comments

 +   Like this comment
Posted by Pedal Power
a resident of Danville
on Apr 10, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Hash browns anyone? This is NOT why you should teach your kids how to cook, before sending them off to college, but you should do that anyway. And there is still time for those graduating HS this summer. My first attempt at making French fries, in a shared rental house, nearly caught the place on fire and a roommate stunk the place up by burning frozen peas.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Grateful4
a resident of Danville
on Apr 11, 2012 at 8:13 am

Seriously Pedal Power? Cooking hash and burning frozen peas? Minimization isn't proactive. Those same HS seniors coild be reading this article and getting a good laughfrom your contribution, but it's light-heartedness could be fatal to the next person willing to try. I suspect another situation like this isn't far behind.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by spcwt
a resident of Danville
on Apr 11, 2012 at 8:29 am

I was a paperboy in Chico back in the 1970's. Sounds like things haven't changed much.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by I am an idiot
a resident of Diablo
on Apr 14, 2012 at 8:26 am

I agree with pedal power, completely. You should always teach your kids how to cook with electric AND gas flames. Simply irresponsible of the parents, in this case. Those mischievous children should also have been taught to create fire by rubbing two sticks together.
This is outrageous and never should have happened! Oh my!


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Email:


Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: *

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

Vote YES on Measures 45, 46, & 47, NO on 48
By Roz Rogoff | 32 comments | 2,229 views

Prop 47: not perfect, just preferable.
By Tom Cushing | 2 comments | 907 views

The Vranesh situation heads to court
By Tim Hunt | 9 comments | 765 views