The man accused of killing seven people and wounding three others in a shooting rampage at Oakland's Oikos University earlier this month is
refusing to eat because he feels shame for his situation, an Alameda County sheriff's spokesman said Monday.
One Goh, 43, has not eaten since he was booked into jail after the April 2 shooting, sheriff's spokesman Sgt. J.D. Nelson said.
He said Goh has indicated to deputies that he feels shame for being in jail and accused of murdering seven people.
Goh was moved from an isolated cell at the Santa Rita Jail to the infirmary on Friday so doctors can monitor him but Nelson said there's no cause for alarm at this point and he's still in good health, although he has lost about 20 pounds.
"He's not trying to kill himself," Nelson said.
Goh's attorney, Deputy Public Defender David Klaus, couldn't be reached for comment Monday.
Classes resumed Monday at the Christian vocational school on Edgewater Drive for the first time since the shooting, which occurred at
about 10:30 a.m. on April 2.
Goh, a 43-year-old Korean national who lived in Oakland, has been charged with seven counts of murder, three counts of attempted murder and
Goh is a former student who had left the school voluntarily. Prosecutors have said he appears to have wanted a refund of his tuition, and may have been targeting an administrator who was not present the day of the shooting.
He allegedly fled the campus in a car belonging to one of the victims, but was arrested in Alameda a short time later after he confessed to a Safeway security guard that he had just shot several people, according to police.
According to a probable cause statement filed in court by Oakland police Officer Robert Trevino, Goh has admitted that he carried out the shooting.
Those killed were students Lydia Sim, 21, Sonam Choedon, 33, Grace Kim, 23, Doris Chibuko, 40, Judith Seymour, 53, and Tshering Bhutia, 38, and
administrator Katleen Ping, 24.
Goh, who is being held without bail, is scheduled to return to court April 30 to enter a plea.
Nelson said that at this time sheriff's officials expect that Goh will be able to make it to his court hearing even though he hasn't been eating.
Other news from around the Bay by Bay City News.
A 38-foot yacht that was involved in a deadly crash earlier this
month was recovered from the Farallon Islands Monday.
The yacht, Low Speed Chase, was hit by large waves and crashed
into rocks during the Full Crew Farallones Race on April 14.
One sailor, Marc Kasanin, 46, of Belvedere, was pulled out of the
water by rescuers and pronounced dead at the scene.
Four others -- Alexis Busch, of Larkspur; Alan Cahill, of Tiburon;
Jordan Fromm, 25, of Kentfield; and Elmer Morrissey, of Ireland -- are still
missing and presumed dead.
Crews set out for the Farallon Islands to recover the wreckage at
around 3:30 p.m. Monday, U.S. Fish and Wildlife spokesman Doug Cordell said.
Ballard Diving and Salvage crew members flew to the island in an
Aris helicopter, prepared the wreckage and hoisted the roughly 15,000-pound
vessel to Half Moon Bay by around 7 p.m., Cordell said.
"The operation went fairly smoothly and quickly," Cordell said.
Cordell added that in order to recover the yacht, salvage crews
had to negotiate a number of obstacles, including rocky terrain, inclement
weather, and a fragile ecosystem.
The Farallon Islands are host to a wide variety of wildlife,
including the largest nesting seabird colony south of Alaska, Cordell said.
Those birds are expected to begin laying eggs as soon as next
week, which meant the salvage crew had a limited opportunity to access the
wreckage, he said.
"If we didn't do it within the next several days, we would have
had to wait until probably October," Cordell said.
Cordell said Monday's recovery was successful with minimal impact
to the islands' wildlife.
A suspect who was shot by a police officer in Fairfield Monday
evening has died, a police spokesman said.
An officer contacted the suspect in the 700 block of Gold Coast
Drive, near Dover Avenue, at around 6 p.m. to follow up on an investigation,
police Officer Cleo Mayoral said.
The officer made contact with the suspect, a 51-year-old Fairfield
resident, in the doorway of his house and a violent struggle ensued, Mayoral
The officer, a 16-year veteran of the department, called for
backup but before they arrived, the officer shot the suspect, Mayoral said.
The suspect was taken to a trauma center where he died, he said.
The officer will be placed on administrative leave pending an
investigation by the Fairfield Police Department and the Solano County
District Attorney's Office, which is the protocol for an officer-involved
shooting, Mayoral said.
Local police chiefs joined Congresswomen Anna Eshoo and Zoe
Lofgren in San Jose Monday to highlight a new law that will create a
nationwide broadband communications network to connect police, firefighters
and other first-responders.
The law is part of the larger "Middle Class Tax Relief and Job
Creation Act," which was signed by President Barack Obama in February.
It allows a government-owned broadband spectrum known as the
"D-Block," worth about $2.8 billion, to be used for the new nationwide
first-responder network, Eshoo said.
The law also sets aside $7 billion in federal funding to go toward
the creation of the network, Eshoo said at a morning news conference.
San Jose Police Chief Chris Moore likened the sought-after D-Block
spectrum, which had been coveted by wireless companies, to "beachfront
San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed said the law's passage is "proof that
things can get done in Washington."
Eshoo explained that currently, police within one department can
communicate with each other but they often lack the technology to quickly
share information with firefighters, outside police departments or other key
The new network will eventually replace the existing system of
radio communication, which Moore called inefficient.
Eshoo described the law as having a neutral impact on the national
The law raises money by allowing the Federal Communications
Commission to buy under-used but valuable broadcast spectrum from TV
broadcasters, then re-sell it to wireless companies at higher rates.
The venture is expected to raise $25 billion, $7 billion of which
will go toward the creation of the nationwide network, Eshoo said.
States can choose to opt out of the network if they demonstrate
that they can build their own network and connect it to the national network.
The law also provides $155 million in grants to state and local
emergency responders to improve 911 services, including by enabling 911 call
centers to receive text messages, photos and video, according to Eshoo's
Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan Monday announced a series of
reforms in his department's crowd management policies in the wake of
criticism of how it has responded to Occupy Oakland protests that began last
Joined by Mayor Jean Quan and City Administrator Deanna Santana at
a news conference at City Hall, Jordan said, "We want to be a national leader
in crowd management and balance both public safety and free speech."
Jordan said that since Oct. 25 the Police Department has handled
numerous Occupy Oakland events involving a total of more than 60,000 people
and most of them have gone without incident "but in the few individual cases
of alleged and known police misconduct I have acted quickly to investigate
and hold officers accountable."
He also noted that two outside agencies are investigating the
department's handling of Occupy Oakland protests and are expected to announce
their findings soon.
Jordan said one reform he already has instituted is having experts
provide crowd management training to all officers, including the command
staff and himself. That training will be completed by the end of the month,
A second reform, the chief said, is the formation of a community
advisory working group to review the department's crowd management policy and
making recommendations on how to improve it.
Jordan said by the end of April every officer also will have
received training on media relations and press-related First Amendment
rights. He said Quan, her staff and Police Department personnel have met with
individual journalists and photographers and their news organizations to
discuss First Amendment rights in covering protests.
The Oakland Police Department has been criticized for the slow
pace of its use of force investigations, so Jordan said the department has
modified its investigation strategy to make it more efficient and
That includes assigning additional investigators to assess use of
force incidents, improving the collection and review of evidence and
improving reports on use of force incidents, he said.
The San Francisco Ethics Commission Monday night decided a
framework with which to move forward with an official misconduct hearing for
Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi.
Mirkarimi last month pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of
false imprisonment in connection with a Dec. 31 incident in which he grabbed
his wife's arm during an argument, causing a bruise.
Mayor Ed Lee officially suspended Mirkarimi without pay on March
The five-member Ethics Commission is responsible for making a
recommendation to the Board of Supervisors on whether or not Mirkarimi should
keep his job.
Before entering the hearing room at City Hall where the commission
was about to meet Monday evening, Mirkarimi said the whole experience had
been "completely surreal," and said he had faith that the commission would
find a fair way of proceeding into "uncharted territory."
"It's been a nightmare," Mirkarimi said. "I hope that a fair and
just protocol is established because this has never been done before."
With a focus on avoiding a long and arduous hearing process,
commission chairman Benedict Hur said he wanted to establish a process that
moved forward as quickly as possible while being fair to both sides.
Over the next four weeks, the city attorney's office will provide
a list of witnesses to the commission whose testimony would be key to proving
that the sheriff is guilty of misconduct and should be permanently removed
Attorneys representing Mirkarimi will likewise prepare a list of
factual and expert witnesses that could potentially testify on his behalf
during the misconduct hearing.
The commission is expected to decide by May 29 whether to hold a
hearing that requires live testimony from witnesses from both sides, or if a
recommendation could be made to the Board of Supervisors using only written
testimony and documentary evidence.
Dozens of San Francisco residents packed the hearing room and
addressed the commissioners in support of Mirkarimi, some of them pleading
for the commission to expedite its proceedings in order to get Mirkarimi back
with his family and back to work.
A Sonoma Valley man suspected of setting fire to his 17-year-old
ex-girlfriend's home over the weekend will be arraigned Tuesday afternoon.
Adalberto Jimenez-Barajas, 19, is suspected of lighting the
one-story wooden house in the 800 block of Boyes Boulevard in Sonoma on fire
around 4:50 a.m. Sunday, according to the Sonoma County Sheriff's Office.
Barajas was arrested at the scene, sheriff's Sgt. Carlos Basurto
He was booked into Sonoma County Jail on suspicion of attempted
murder, arson of an inhabited dwelling and child endangerment, and is being
held on $1.1 million bail.
Barajas' ex-girlfriend and her father were not home when the fire
started, but his ex-girlfriend's sister and the sister's two young children
were asleep in the house at the time, Basurto said.
They were able to flee the burning house and were not hurt, he
Barajas was detained by the ex-girlfriend's family members and was
arrested outside the house, Basurto said. He was taken to Sonoma Valley
Hospital for treatment of a burn to his leg before he was booked into jail,
Barajas and his ex-girlfriend were together about three years
before they broke up several weeks ago, Basurto said.
Sonoma Valley Fire and Rescue Authority Division Chief Spencer
Andreis said an accelerant was used to start the fire on an outside corner of
The blaze spread rapidly, and destroyed the roof and attic,
Andreis said. The interior of the house sustained smoke damage, and
firefighters pulled down ceilings to access the attic, he said.
Firefighters arrived at 4:52 a.m. and controlled the fire at 5:30
a.m. Damage is estimated at $100,000, Andreis said. He estimated the size of
the home as 1,200 to 1,400 square feet.
A 63-year-old man pleaded not guilty Monday to charges that he
sexually assaulted and murdered a 13-year-old Oakland girl 38 years ago.
The killing of Julie McElhiney on Aug. 9, 1974, had gone unsolved
for nearly four decades but DNA evidence finally gave Alameda County
prosecutors enough evidence to file charges against Curtis Tucker last month,
according to the district attorney's office.
In addition to murder, Tucker is charged with the
special-circumstance allegations of committing a murder while carrying out
lewd or lascivious acts on a child and committing a murder during a robbery.
Oakland police Sgt. Michael Weisenberg said in a probable cause
statement filed in court that McElhiney, who was a sixth-grader at Sequoia
Elementary School, was found at about 5:40 p.m. the day of her murder face
down on the second floor of her family's apartment at 3022 Pleitner Ave.
She was transported to Highland Hospital, where she was pronounced
Weisenberg said an autopsy indicated that McElhiney had been
murdered, and the primary cause of her death was determined to be blunt force
trauma to her head.
The coroner also documented that there was an injury to the girl's
vaginal area, Weisenberg said.
The Oakland Police Department's criminalistics team processed the
clothing that McElhiney was wearing at the time of her death for biological
evidence, and Tucker's DNA was found, according to Weisenberg.
He said Tucker has previous arrests and convictions for sexual
assault and burglary.
In addition to the murder charge and the two special
circumstances, the Alameda County District Attorney's Office charged Tucker
with having a prior conviction in 1972 for second-degree commercial burglary.
His prior conviction could increase his sentence if he is found
guilty of the murder.
A man in a wheelchair who was struck by a San Francisco Municipal
Railway train at the Civic Center station late Monday morning has died, Muni
spokesman Paul Rose said.
The man, described as in his 50s, was struck by an outbound
M-Ocean View train around 11:45 a.m., Rose said.
He suffered severe leg injuries and was taken to a hospital, where
he died, Rose said.
San Francisco police have responded to the Civic Center station to
investigate the incident, he said.
Rose said it is not yet clear why the man was on the tracks.
After the collision, Muni Metro service was shut down between the
Embarcadero and West Portal stations, and bus shuttles were set up to carry
riders along that stretch.
Rose said around 1:20 p.m. that underground service was expected
to resume shortly.
Pleasanton and the Tri-Valley can expect mostly cloudy skies today, with highs in the 60s.
Mostly cloudy skies are likely tonight. Lows are expected to be in the mid 50s.
There is a slight chance of thunderstorms on Wednesday, with showers likely in the afternoon. There may be small hail from thunderstorms. Highs are expected to be in the 60s.