News

Fire in Alamo hills was 'human caused'

Crews from the San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District extinguished a fire in the Alamo hills Thursday afternoon. Officials said the blaze was human caused.

"We don't know exactly how they did it, but an investigation is under way by CalFire," said Jack Barton, San Ramon Valley assistant fire chief.

The fire was first reported at 4:52 p.m. at the end of Hemme Drive in Alamo, which backs to Las Trampas Regional Wilderness. Crews from CalFire, San Ramon Valley Fire and the East Bay Regional Parks Fire Department hiked into the hills to extinguish the blaze, which took a little over an hour.

No injuries were reported.

Comments

Posted by frankly, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 20, 2012 at 6:48 am

Human caused?

In what manner, shape or form?

How far back into the hills was it?

Off the trail or on it?

Posted by JT, a resident of Danville
on Aug 20, 2012 at 7:08 am

The end of Hemme typically gets middle and high schoolers parking there and either smoking in their cars or by walking up the trail a short ways. How do I know? I have seen it many times as I frequent the trail head.

Posted by Michelle, a resident of Alamo
on Aug 20, 2012 at 7:12 am

I run on the ring cat trail at least 3 times a week, and I have done that off and on since the late 80's. Recently i have seen more kids up there, lots of kids smoking pot and cigarettes at the trail head. I was nearly run off the trail by 4 kids single track riding way too fast the day before the fire. I had to jump off the trail into the poison oak to avoid being hit.

Im not surprised that the fire was started by a human, and not to blame anyone, but there have been too many kids up to no good up there as of late. Since our parks and rec departments have been suffering such bad cutbacks i know that patrols are never happening, so i am going to the sherrifs meeting on 9/5 to discuss this and a few other issues with local parks.

Posted by Lin, a resident of Alamo
on Aug 20, 2012 at 9:30 am

Too bad the YMCA never got built, ther would have been a place for young people to go and do interesting things. The problem with our community is that there is nothing for young people to do, no place for them to be.

Posted by bob, a resident of Danville
on Aug 20, 2012 at 9:38 am

Lin is absolutely right about the kids having nothing to do. I have kids at SRV and I was shocked at the prevelance of pot smoking and many other illegal and harmful substances by middle schoolers to high school seniors and the good students and athletes that we tell our kids to look up too are the worst offenders. This has got to be a priority at all levels and particulary at all schools

Posted by Julia, a resident of Alamo
on Aug 20, 2012 at 10:31 am

Dear Lin and Bob...you folks are dreamers.

Yes, if only the YMCA was built, the kids could have a clean environment to smoke their weed.

Lin, Bob and all you other dreamers...the kids that would be going to the YMCA are not the kids we are talking about that head to the hill and smoke a few joints before they head home to their head in the sky parents.

Michelle has her head on right...Michelle tell the sheriff to send just one patrol car up the street one a day and the message will be heard even from some of those bran head students.

We are too easy on our children...what they need is a swift kick in the butt, before their small fun things become big things...like the fire. That situation could have been very serious. Especially if it burned a few homes and heaven forbid burned some elderly person in living in one of those homes.

We take things too lightly when it involves those little angels. Well folks...those little angels have horns...some parents are too blind to see that...

Thanks for listening, Julia Pardini from Alamo.

Posted by Julie, a resident of Danville
on Aug 20, 2012 at 10:57 am

I live in a neighborhood that the highschool kids from Monte Vista come and smoke pot before school.
My neighbors and I have called many times regarding this, not only because it's illegal - but the trash these kids leave behind. You know what the Danville police told police told us?? Well .... There is nothing that we can do... They are gone before we get here....yeah it takes you three hrs to respond.. Also. Here in Danville we don't have a real "drug" problem. what???
We need to get together and figure this out. It's a community problem.

Posted by bob, a resident of Danville
on Aug 20, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Julia, not sure about your response to Lin and myself ? I happen to agree with you 100%. I have also called the Danville PD about that activity in my area and the response has been lukewarm at best. I for one do not take the postion lightly. Just the opposite. I have shown up at these gathering and these kids scatter and have even contacted the parents of those I recognize. Not to get them in trouble but to try and get the parents engaged. My point was that the problem is far worse than bioth the community and the school system realizes. Frankly 300% worse or more

Posted by JT, a resident of Danville
on Aug 21, 2012 at 6:41 am

Does everybody on this forum seriously believe that pot smoking is a huge problem? I agree it is a problem, however it is a problem for the parents of the kids involved, not the Danville police. If you are so concerned, snap some pictures from your smartphones and if you can forward them on to the parents, or post them on a website. Snapping pictures will drive them off, I can guarantee that.

I don't hear anyone claiming that smoking cigarettes is a huge problem. But I am honestly equally alarmed with underage cigarette smoking. It may even have a worse downside than pot smoking.

And of course non-adult drinking is huge. Is that not worse than pot? Since many students have killed themselves or others drunk driving.

Posted by Sallie, a resident of Alamo
on Aug 21, 2012 at 9:57 am

r u kidding? I have no agenda re. the "Y." But somewhere for the kids to go and "do interesting things?" How about the family go to one of the trails and take a hike? Go to a park and play a little frisbee? Take BART and go to a museum? Join a volunteer group? Dare I suggest a religious activity of one's choice?

The "good" students are already OVERBOOKED. The kids who are NOT ALREADY in sports, drama, academic enrichment, music, leadership, dance, volunteerism, etc. etc. etc. are not likely to embrace more community offerings. Danville and SR community centers offer an array of non-school activities.

(btw: Who remembers good ole' high school dances that were held on Friday nights just because dancing was fun? Now-a-days, dances have to include a lot more than music and moderate lighting to draw a crowd. These kids are so overloaded with "add-ons" that they don't have experience in enjoying a no-frills dance. If regularly scheduled dances were offered, these poor kids would be texting each other waiting to see who was going.... until the dance was over and no one attended.)

Posted by Bob, a resident of Danville
on Aug 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm

You go Sallie !! Our kids are so enriched to the point of excess it is crazy !Simple is good. To : JT, pot is a problem. it is illegal and as such the Danville PD is paid to get involved. Drinking and driving is also an issue at all age level and this community has so much to offer but we cant seem to get the fog out of our faces and let our kids know they can have fun without all the excess.

Posted by Rick, a resident of Danville
on Aug 21, 2012 at 4:41 pm

There are parents and breeders. It is not a socio-economic thing. The public schools do not promote values----the kids learn early to chuckle about pot use. Many teachers I worked with were "stoners.". They are fed liberal pablum by oh so cool staff. Credentialing colleges will block/ban any candidate that hints of conservative thought. Get permission for ear piercing but let's get an abortion at lunch behind your parents' backs. If you took their pictures, some would possibly belt you or at least trash your phone. Vote NO on more $ for the schools.

Posted by Michelle, a resident of Alamo
on Aug 22, 2012 at 7:07 am

Wow, what a thread! Sounds like all of us care a lot and that is a GREAT THING! This is such a special community.

I have called the cops on some kids at Rudgear park. I dont believe that the pot smoking is a big problem, but combined with the drinking, graffiti, cigarettes and trash it is part of a larger problem.

I will be at the meeting at the alamo police station on 9/5 at 5pm to discuss this and a few other issues. I talked to a policeman that said that meeting is the "only way to get the ball rolling".

Its easy to talk about changes, but if you want to take action go to the meeting! Its open to the public :) M

Posted by JT, a resident of Danville
on Aug 22, 2012 at 9:03 am

Bob, The revolutionary ideas being espoused here in this thread of relying on the police to "parent" our kids regarding pot, is setting my sights to a higher standard. Are you so afraid of these Danville "hoodlums" these local "gangsters" that you can't say something to them, that you can't even snap a picture. Try it and see what they do. Keep the video camera rolling on your smart phone to get their reaction. "Community" policing is the way to do this. I believe that what kids fear most is parents finding out.

"I saw teen pot smokers in Rudgear and called the police..." Panzy answer. Or is it you are so checked out of the local community that you don't even know who these kids are. That's it. Our kids grow older, our modern automobile dictated society allows us to not even know our neighbors. So maybe YOU are part of the problem and the police are not the solution.

For those that believe that schools are populated by community and value destroying liberals infecting the minds of our children, I offer you move to Texas and join Rick Perry. I also offer you Saudi Arabia and Iran, where the conservatives are so concerned about society norms that they relegate women to their homes and burkas.

Posted by Christa, a resident of Blackhawk
on Aug 22, 2012 at 9:39 am

Rick obviously hit a nerve in JT who had to go liberal on him. Rick called it the way it is---to leap to a Rick Perry/Texas/burqa/ etc was a nice try to say conservatives are similar to the cretins. But JT--we are not a public school captive audience of mush heads. Just wander to some south bay cities to get your oppressed burqa fix--it's here. I'd rather have a "Rick" protecting my rights then "JT" who is busy embracing leftie liberalism. I too will vote no on the srvsd TAX.

Posted by bob, a resident of Danville
on Aug 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Bottom line is it takes a vilage ! In spite of the comments from JT 100% of a childs character buidling does not come from the home exclusively amd therefore the schools, the police, other parents need to stay engaged especailly given the very fast pace our children at.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.