News

iPads taken from John Baldwin school

Nearly three dozen iPads were stolen from John Baldwin Elementary School in Danville on Tuesday night.

"Of course, our students were very disappointed, but are handling the loss like champions," principal Darlene Hale said in an email Thursday.

The culprit or culprits forced entry into a fifth-grade classroom and took 32 iPads from the school on Brookside Drive just before 10:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to Hale.

School officials first reported the theft to police before classes began Wednesday morning, according to Danville Police Chief Steve Simpkins, who said his department is "pursuing an investigation" into the incident.

Comments

Posted by C. R. Mudgeon, a resident of Danville
on Jan 17, 2014 at 9:27 am

I'm guessing that the thieves knew that the iPads were there, and also knew how they were stored and secured (or not secured), so there was probably some link between the thieves and either a student, or an employee at the school. (Obviously just a guess on my part.)

I also don't know how in-class iPads are stored and locked up overnight, but given that tablet thefts from classrooms are becoming more prevalent, it seems clear that schools need to pay more attention to securing these devices (given their high "value/size" ratio, and the ease of transport).

I'm also curious about what these iPads are used for, and whether it is primarily as a reader for e-books and e-textbooks, or for specialized education apps, or even just web-browsing/searching. With the exception of specialized education apps, which might be Apple iOS-specific, it has never been clear to me why $150 Kindles (color touch-screen version), or other lower-cost Android tablet, wouldn't be just as functional as a $400 (or whatever the school district pays) iPad. There may well be a valid set of reasons, which perhaps someone from the school district can chime in on. (I had the same question related to the story from earlier this year, regarding the Los Angeles school district's abandoning their "an iPad for every student" program.)

Posted by John, a resident of Danville
on Jan 17, 2014 at 11:29 am

What the heck does a 5th grader need an iPad for?! Is that what my measure a, b and c money went to?

Posted by Susan, a resident of Walnut Creek
on Jan 17, 2014 at 2:12 pm

All of those comments are valid, however is this the time and place to be questioning the use of the iPads? This article is about the fact that someone (with obviously no morals and or values) decided to break in to an elementary school and steal items that are used in a classroom! Which is pathetic and disgusting....the real issue here is safety, and not making judgement calls on how much money is being spent and what type of tablet is being utilized! If you're so bent out of shape over that, then why don't you get out from behind your on computer, tablet or whatever it is your using and go down and see for yourself! Instead of complaining......there's sone food for thought.

Posted by Derek, a resident of Danville
on Jan 20, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I had posted about this on the Town Square board earlier before this article was printed, and while I am not privy to what all the kids use these for, apparently there is a separate "technology donation" that parents can make at the beginning of the year to fund things like IPads - so it's not likely these came out of anyone's tax dollars. Hopefully there was insurance. I don't know the answers to CRM's other questions.

The few details I know from a neighbor lady whose kid is still in Baldwin are that a pry bar of some sort was used to enter the classroom. And there is no doubt, as I said in my previous Town Square post, that the burglars had information as to which room or rooms they could find this little treasure trove. They had to have a sibling in the school, or know someone pretty well that did. There are known burglars who live on Paraiso within a block and a half of the school.

Most importantly, the IPads have a Baldwin embossment of some type on the back side. Not being in the IPad fencing business myself, I don't know if it is easy to remove the name. My neighbor thought the name was something not put on by the school (like an easily removed label), but rather applied by the supplier or Apple. I am not certain of the specifics though.

As Susan said, this is not the place to be crabbing about the details of acquisition. Anyone who lives here or has kids in school should be very angry about what these scumbags did. And they should have their fingers crossed for an arrest. The dollar sum makes this grand theft, no?

Posted by C. R. Mudgeon, a resident of Danville
on Jan 20, 2014 at 5:27 pm

I agree that the main concern should be apprehending the thief, or thieves, and also agree with Derek (as stated in my earlier post, also) that the thieves had some "inside knowledge" of where, and maybe how, the iPads were stored.

OK, Susan, I'll withdraw my question (which at least in my case was only a question) regarding usage. It IS a separate issue. Maybe it will be an appropriate topic sometime down the road....

The other question I had, as to how well the iPads are secured (locked up, or whatever) was also just a question, without implying lack of care by the school. It seems relevent, though, given the "temptingness" of the items.

Posted by Louise, a resident of Danville
on Jan 21, 2014 at 9:01 am

Everyone knows that Danville is an easy target. I was walking in town and saw a new car with all windows down and parked in city parking lot. There is just one example of residents not being aware. Obviously the thieves figured this out at the school and saw the opportunity and took action. I blame the school and its staff. They should have been more careful and could have engraved or put a lock somehow on each tablet so they were password protected. I hope they were insured and figure out a way that next time they won't make it so easy for thieves to steal.

Posted by Dave, a resident of Danville
on Jan 22, 2014 at 11:32 pm

All hail "Louise-the-Speculator!"

Posted by johnbalwin student, a resident of John Baldwin Elementary School
on Jan 23, 2014 at 5:13 pm

answer is we use are I-pads for every single thing at school so now that we have been robbed it harder for us yet we still are handling this problem fine.

Posted by johnbalwin student, a resident of John Baldwin Elementary School
on Jan 23, 2014 at 5:16 pm

also they had a crow bar Louise they used it to open the case and also I agree a password would have saved our work from being deleted...

Posted by john baldwin student, a resident of John Baldwin Elementary School
on Jan 23, 2014 at 6:39 pm

It is really tough, but our whole class is more happy it happened to us, because we are mature enough to handle it. And on Friday, another class donated us brand new ipads that they wanted their grade to have, and we are really happy about that.

Posted by johnbalwin student, a resident of John Baldwin Elementary School
on Jan 23, 2014 at 6:46 pm

and also the school does this they do self ensure so in fansy words that means we pay for them are self witch really sucks because the amount of time to get them is not worth it.

Posted by Xin Han, a resident of Blackhawk
on Jan 24, 2014 at 10:45 am

@John Baldwin student
You don't need an iPad, you can barely write. Learn the basics first. My god, your post is so incomprehensible!!

Posted by Derek, a resident of Blackhawk
on Jan 24, 2014 at 11:32 am

Chill out Xin, he's just a 5th grader, not a fine Blackhawk republican military school grad.

Posted by Chris, a resident of Danville
on Jan 27, 2014 at 9:09 am

I'm with XIN---what a disgusting display of poor writing by one of the stoodents from our illustrious schools. But keep that tax money flowing into the cesspools so they can crank out more climate change believers for their long term agenda.

Posted by Derek, a resident of Danville
on Jan 27, 2014 at 9:42 am

Congrats on posting the most ignorant rant of the month Chris.
You win a free all-expenses-paid trip to the Faux Nuus headquarters in New York, where you will get to hang out all day with Shun Sanity & Brit Hume, and act as their fill-in fluffer.

Posted by 1979, a resident of Alamo
on Jan 27, 2014 at 11:41 am

Wow. So a fifth grader gets on, comments on a news site, displays maturity and grace in the face of getting his/ her classroom materials stolen, and the ADULTS on this site trash him/ her. A ten year old. Stay classy. Congrats, 'John Baldwin Student' on your handling of an otherwise unfortunate situation.

Posted by Derek, a resident of Danville
on Jan 27, 2014 at 12:35 pm

My feeling exactly 1979. It's hard not to be overwhelmed by the irony in Chris' post. Him calling a 5th grader's posts "disgusting", then showing the entire world (well, at least a tiny segment of Danville) what a complete fool he/she/it is.
Thankfully, Chris is not a teacher.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.