No charges will be filed against the teens involved in an altercation that left a Pleasanton man bleeding and unconscious outside his Middleton Place home last September.
"The Alameda County District Attorney has chosen not to pursue criminal charges citing lack of sufficient evidence to conclude a public offense was committed," Pleasanton police said Friday.
David Lamont was struck outside his home early Sept. 21 after confronting noisy teens in the quiet cul-de-sac where he lived. He was found lying in the street, bleeding and comatose, when he didn't return inside following the altercation.
Lamont was moved to a rehab center after a lengthy stay at Eden Medical Center in Castro Valley. He continues what a family friend described as a long period of rehabilitation, learning to talk and walk again.
In the weeks that followed, police said they had "credible leads" and narrowed the investigation to three local teens -- "people who are high school age," police Sgt. Maria Munayer said early in the investigation. One, an 18-year-old from outside the area, was described as a "person of interest."
During the investigation, Pleasanton police detectives worked in collaboration with the DA's Office and kept them informed of developments and leads in the case.
Friday, police said, "the case has been closed and no further investigation is pending."
Last month, Lamont's wife, Agnes, talked about the family's ordeal in an open letter.
"Dave was left for dead but thanks to a wonderful miracle and outstanding medical care, he is now on a journey towards significant recovery," she said in an email statement. "Multiple surgeries and intense rehabilitation have taken their toll but Dave's innate strength and extraordinary work ethic are propelling him through important milestones like breathing independently, relearning to walk, and being able to swallow again."
She also thanked the people who donated to the family in a fundraising effort initiated by Craig Mullins. To date, more than $24,000 has been raised.
"The Lamont family has requested that no further media attention be given to the case and that they not be contacted for comment as they would simply like to put the incident behind them and continue to focus on healing," police said Friday.