The American Red Cross Bay Area Chapter is seeking nominations for the Hero Awards. Winners will be presented at the 2014 Contra Costa County Heroes Breakfast on Oct. 24 at the Crow Canyon Country Club in Danville.
The Hero Awards recognize members of the community who have shown courage, dedication, and character through acts of kindness and heroism.
Contra Costa County residents are encouraged to nominate a hero for one of the following categories:
* Lifesaving Hero: An adult or youth who has performed an extraordinary lifesaving act, using skills such as CPR or first aid.
* Act of Courage Hero: An adult or youth who has performed an extraordinary act of courage.
* Act of Kindness & Philanthropy Hero, Individual: An adult or youth who has shown an extreme act of kindness or selflessness.
* Community Service Hero, Individual: An adult or youth who has performed great community service.
* Community Service Hero, Organization: A business or organization that has performed great community service.
* Animal Rescue Hero: An animal that has protected a human in a time of need or a person who has rescued an animal from a traumatic situation.
All nominees must work or reside in Contra Costa County, however the heroic acts could have occurred elsewhere. The heroic acts must have occurred between Jan. 1, 2013 and June 30 of this year.
Nominees must be submitted by June 30.
Visit the Contra Costa County Heroes website for more event details, the online nomination form, or information on becoming a sponsor.