San Ramon Valley elementary schools had 386 students participate in this spring's Street Smarts Walk/Bike Challenge, a contest that challenged students to get themselves to and from school by walking, biking, skateboarding or riding a scooter.
Students from the following San Ramon Valley schools were challenged to "Walk and Roll" to school as many times as possible: Creekside in Danville, Green Valley in Danville, Hidden Hills in San Ramon, John Baldwin in Danville, Quail Run in San Ramon, Vista Grande in Danville and Walt Disney in San Ramon.
Over the course of the five-week challenge, participating students made 7,403 trips to school by walking, biking, skateboarding or riding a scooter.
Students walked over 4,000 miles to and from school; and biked, rode a scooter, or skateboarded over 1,500 miles.
The following classrooms from each school had the highest amount of participation and received a gift card for a classroom party:
* Creekside Ms. Miyamoto's kindergarten class
* Green Valley Mrs. Ransdell's 4th-grade class
* Hidden Hills Mrs. Van Aken's 5th-grade class
* John Baldwin Tie between Mrs. Swanson's 3rd-grade class and Mrs. Daniels' 4th-grade class
* Quail Run Ms. Sun's 1st-grade class
* Vista Grande Mrs. Littlejohn's 2nd-grade class
* Walt Disney Mrs. Windham's transitional kindergarten class
In addition, all participating students were entered into a raffle to win a gift certificate from a local bike shop, ranging from $50-$150. The more trips the students made, the more raffle tickets they earned.
The following students are the gift certificate raffle winners:
* Kate Millis from Green Valley, $150 gift certificate
* Augi Madia from John Baldwin, $100 gift certificate
* William Pierotti from Creekside, $50
The Walk/Bike Challenge is one of the many programs offered by Street Smarts, a traffic safety education program serving the San Ramon Valley.