The fire started in the barn and spread into a detached garage plus another garage that was attached to the home shortly before 3 a.m., said Jack Barton, battalion chief for the San Ramon Fire Protection District. It destroyed the barn and the two garages, and killed the owner's three pigs.
"She was pretty distraught," Barton said.
The inferno also burned a car and a boat inside one of the garages. One of the residents living on the property called the fire district at 3:05 a.m., he said.
Seven fire units and a total of 26 firemen - including fire chiefs - arrived at the scene.
They doused the fire with foam and hosed water to quell the flames, said Barton. The property is in a rural area, and the barn was full of hay, he said.
No one was injured, and there were no other damages.
The fire was contained at 3:55 a.m., Barton said, adding there were also horses on the property.
"We had to deal with panicky horses," he said. "They were pretty spooked."
The approximate financial cost on the burned property is around $300,000.
Barton noted it was somewhat fortunate the fire occurred in May as opposed to August, which is much dryer and hotter. The hot weather is conducive to fires spreading, he said, adding that people need to abate their weeds and vegetation, especially in rural areas.
"We were lucky," he said.