* The Danville Oak was a sprout in the 1700s.
* In April of 1772 a Spanish expedition came through the valley for the first time and camped in Danville.
* The Rancho of the San Ramon Valley was granted to Mariano Pacheco and his uncle Bartolome Pacheco in 1833. It covered all of today's Alamo and Danville, over 8,000 acres.
* The California Gold Rush began in 1848, bringing thousands of new settlers to California.
* California became a state in 1850.
* The first post office in the San Ramon Valley was established in Alamo in 1852. Danville's post office began in 1860 with Danville Hotel owner Henry Harris as postmaster.
* Danville was named for Dan Inman, a successful miner who bought land in today's Old Town with his brother Andrew in 1858.
* Danville Grange No. 85 was founded in 1873. The Grange was a fraternal order that focused on good farming practices and good citizenship. Members built a Grange Hall in 1874 on Front Street.
* Agriculture was the business of the valley for over a 100 years. Walnuts and fruit trees predominated in the twentieth century.
* The San Ramon Branch Line of the Southern Pacific opened from Avon (near Martinez) to San Ramon in 1891, bringing a new era to the Valley. A large depot was built in Danville.
* Also in 1891, John Hartz subdivided his ranch land just east of the Danville station, which created Hartz Avenue and, eventually, a new downtown.
* In 1892 the Danville Hotel opened for business on Railroad Avenue, operated by George and Mary McCauley.
* The new Danville Grammar School was dedicated in 1896 on Front Street.
* The Social and Fraternal Hall was constructed on Front Street in 1913. The old Grange Hall became the second story. This structure is now called the Village Theatre.
* The brick San Ramon Valley Bank opened on the corner of Prospect and Hartz in 1908.
* St. Isidore's Catholic Church was dedicated at Linda Mesa and Hartz in 1912.
* The San Ramon Valley Union High School opened to students in 1917.
* In 1925 the Veterans' Memorial Hall was constructed to honor veterans of the Great War.
* Mt. Diablo State Park opened with public access to the summit in 1931.
* In 1932 the original Presbyterian Church (1876) on burned down. A new, mission-style church was constructed in 1933. This building was restored by Danville and opened as the Town Meeting Hall in 1989.
* Eugene and Carlotta O'Neill lived in the western hills of Danville from 1937 to 1944. Here the Nobel-prize-winning playwright wrote "A Moon for the Misbegotten," " Long Day's Journey Into Night" and "The Iceman Cometh."
* 1958 marked the Hay Days celebration of Danville's Centennial, including a parade, carnival, Miss Pioneer Belle contest and barbeque.
* In 1982 voters created the Town of Danville and elected a Town Council. John May was the first Mayor.
* After Southern Pacific abandoned its right of way in 1978, advocates organized to create the Iron Horse Regional Trail in 1984. Today the trail is 30 miles long.
* In 1996 the Danville Library and Community Center were built.
* The Oak Hill Community Center opened in 2007.
Museum of the San Ramon Valley, May, 2008