* Life-Saving Hero: Some who performed an extraordinary life-saving act, using life-saving skills such as CPR or first aid;
* Act of Courage Hero;
* Act of Kindness and Philanthropy Hero;
* Community Service Hero, Individual;
* Community Service Hero, Organization;
* Animal Rescue Hero: An animal that has protected a human in a time of need or a person who has rescued an animal from a traumatic situation.
All nominees must work or reside in Contra Costa County, and the deadline is Aug. 15. Award recipients will be selected by a committee of community leaders. Nominations may be submitted online at www.redcrossbayarea.org/heroes.
The heroes will be honored at a breakfast Oct. 17 at Scott's Restaurant and Garden in Walnut Creek.