"Some members always say 'yes,'" said President Richard Wood before announcing Schuyler as his choice. "Some say, 'What can the Chamber do for me?' This person said, 'What can I do?'"
The event was also the installation of the 2009 Board of Directors. County Supervisor Mary N. Piepho did the honors, adding some light touches to the event.
"Do you solemnly swear that if a seat on the board becomes vacant because a member gets elected to a higher office that you will not sell that seat?" she asked.
The board members for 2009 are:
• President Richard Wood (E-Paynow.com)
• Vice President A.J. Nisen (Bank of America Mortgages)
• Treasurer Bruce Marhenke (Alamo Communications)
• Secretary John Lineweaver (Stone Valley Center)
• Event Chairwoman Sharon Schuyler
• Membership Chairwoman Terri Silva (Room2Move Home Staging)
• Mixer Chairman Bill White (Allstate Insurance)
The crab feed was also a fundraiser for the Chamber's scholarship program, with drawings, a silent auction and a Super Bowl pool. Chairman Joe Combs reported on the scholarship program as well as recognizing the tree lighting committee.
"The scholarship program is, next to the tree lighting, the most effective thing we as a Chamber do," said Combs.