http://danvillesanramon.com/print/story/print/2009/04/03/chimney-causes-house-fire-in-alamo


Danville Express

Newsfront - April 3, 2009

Chimney causes house fire in Alamo

Damage limited to second story and attic

The San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District responded to a two-story house fire at 220 Cross Road in Alamo at 10:04 a.m. Monday. A total of three engines, two trucks, one paramedic ambulance, one breathing support unit, two chief officers and one fire investigator were dispatched to the scene. The first crew arrived to find the second story heavily involved with fire.

Firefighters immediately began an offensive interior attack and were able to contain the fire by 10:55 a.m. Fire damage was limited to the second story and the attic area.

The home was unoccupied at the time, and the fire was reported to 911 emergency dispatch by several neighbors. There were no injuries reported, and firefighters successfully rescued two cats from the residence.

The cause has been determined as a chimney fire that burned into the attic. The structure sustained about $350,000 in damage and $100,000 in content loss.

"It is essential that all chimney improvements be permitted by your local building department and inspected for proper installation," said Fire Marshal Christina Jamison. "There have been several chimney-related fires in our district over the past few months, many of which could have been avoided by proper construction, inspection and maintenance."

San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District reminds residents to have their chimneys inspected by a licensed company and cleaned at least once a year. Also, remember to allow ashes to cool before removing them from the fireplace, and dispose of ashes in an approved metal container outside the home. For more information, visit www.srvfire.ca.gov.

Comments

There are no comments yet for this post