http://danvillesanramon.com/print/story/print/2009/04/10/smoke-alarm-alerts-resident-in-danville-house-fire


Danville Express

Newsfront - April 10, 2009

Smoke alarm alerts resident in Danville house fire

Early morning blaze began in garage

Firefighters responded to a second alarm, single story house fire at 191 Plaza Circle in Danville, at 1:40 a.m., Thursday, April 2 The first crew arrived to find the garage, attic and front porch heavily involved with fire.

San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District firefighters immediately began an offensive interior attack and were able to contain the fire by 2:35 am. Fire damage was limited to the garage and three of the front rooms.

One resident was home at the time of the fire. She escaped after being alerted by her smoke alarm. The fire was reported to 911 emergency dispatch by a neighbor. There were no injuries reported.

"The resident made a smart choice, she was sleeping with her door closed," said Fire Inspector Natalie Kurtz. "An ordinary bedroom door can keep smoke out of your bedroom for up to 20 minutes, which is the time you will need to escape."

A total of five engines, two trucks, one paramedic ambulance, one breathing support unit, three Chief Officers and one fire investigator were dispatched to the scene.

The cause has been determined as an electrical fire that began in the garage. The structure sustained about $100,000 in damage and $75,000 in content loss.

"Smoke Alarms save lives," said Fire Marshal Christina Jamison. "Install one on every level of your home, in hallways and in all bedrooms."

Fire Chief Richard Price said the house fires in the last several weeks are just a coincidence, that this is not fire season.

San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District also reminds residents to test your smoke alarms once a month and replace the batteries twice a year.

--Staff reports

Comments

There are no comments yet for this post