Drought may be drawing mountain lions

Original post made on Aug 14, 2008

Police searched the area where a mountain lion was sited last week but didn't see any tracks, dead game or other evidence of a cougar. They are calling it an unconfirmed sighting but took care to notify neighbors door to door.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 10:34 AM

Posted by Carl Russell, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 14, 2008 at 9:59 pm

My father-in-law spotted a mountain lion, Today at 7am, inside the Enfield St. wash, heading back into the drain pipe underneath E. Branch Parkway/ Enfield St. intersection in San Ramon only a block from Live Oak Elementary School. He was close enough to its green eyes.

Once I found out about this I immediately called the police department. The officer called me back checking for signs this evening.

Posted by Helene K., a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 15, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Makes sense, I saw a coyote in Bishop Ranch last night on Camino Ramon near the main entrance for AT&T, heading towards the duck/goose pond :-(

Posted by Kathryn Rousey, a resident of Danville
on Feb 19, 2009 at 11:46 am

I live in Bettencort Ranch Developement in Danville and I spotted a mountain lion in the open space behind my house heading up the hill towards the backside of Fleetwood Rd.

Posted by Mrs. R., a resident of Danville
on Feb 20, 2009 at 10:23 pm

I live two blocks from Blackhawk/Diablo/McGee Ranch development in Danville -- close to Mt. Diablo, open land and to creeks.

A mountain lion charged over our 6 foot fence into our backyard back in October while my cat and I were on the deck. My cat took off running, with the mountain lion in pursuit ... outstretched, fangs displayed...My cat got away, and so did I. (The mountain lion was within 3 feet of me while I was standing on the deck...)

With the apparent government funding cuts, this is the response received when I called the following:
o Danville Police: Sheriff's department answered for Danville Police and replied "We don't handle these types of calls. You need to call Animal Control"
o Animal Control: "We don't handle these types of calls. You need to call the Department of Fish and Games"
o Department of Fish and Games: I was routed several times, winding up talking to an answering machine. "We pick up messages every day between 2pm and 5pm and will return your call." Department of Fish and Games never called.

Four days later, at home the Whitegate neighborhood of Alamo (which backs to Mount Diablo as well), a group of us sitting in the backyard observed a mountain lion coming down the hill behind the house...apparently heading for the owner's cat sitting in the backyard. The owner scooped the cat up and took it into the house.

Both of these mountain lion sitings took place between 2pm-4pm in broad daylight -- During the severe drought, mountain lions are nowing entering neighborhoods and see pets are easy pickings.

Be alert -- the mountain lions are coming down into the neighborhoods.

Posted by Leah, a resident of Danville
on Feb 22, 2009 at 7:41 pm

They are coming down into our neighborhoods because you are taking away their "backyard" by building and building and building all of these new homes.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.