Montair Elementary celebrates 50th year

Original post made on Oct 17, 2008

The world was a different place in 1958. Gas was 24 cents a gallon, houses cost $30,000, and the 680 freeway didn't exist. October of that year marked a new beginning of sorts in the Danville School District with the opening of the brand new $600,000 Montair Elementary School.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, October 16, 2008, 3:28 PM

Posted by B. Lynn Goodwin, a resident of Danville
on Oct 17, 2008 at 8:54 pm

Congratulations to Montair School. I had alumnae/i of Montair in my classes at San Ramon High in the 1970s, back when computers were main frames and no one had e-mail accounts or My Space pages.

Once in a while, I'll run into a former student. Many of them have children of their own. I hope they sometimes remember their teachers--from Montair or any school--as they help their own kids with homework and imagine what the world will be like for their offspring in another fifty years.

B. Lynn Goodwin
www.writeradvice.com

Posted by Kelly Sinon (Mulry), a resident of Montair Elementary School
on Mar 6, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Oh, I am sorry I missed the carnival. I would have loved to have brought my kids. I went to scchool at Montair in the 70's and it was a great time to be a kid. Someone hit the nail on the head when they said their memories of Montair were of a happy place.
I think I remember most of my teachers... Mrs. Buckley, Mrs. Hanson, Mr. Kelly, Mrs. Mecario, Mrs. Bishop, Mrs. Henzie, Mrs. Pauslitch, Mrs. Vasquez, Mr. Donhert and of course, the school secretary, Mrs. Davis and Principal Mr, Deffenbaugh.
I hope all of them continued in teaching as they made an impact on me, if I can remember all of those names after 30+ years.
Happy Birthday, Montair...

Posted by Susie Walker Gamm, a resident of another community
on Mar 17, 2012 at 11:49 am

Was the previous school on the same campus? I began kinderg in 1959. We had just moved to Danville from Illinois for my dad's job with Kaiser.
Fellow Montairians and I were recently reminiscing on FB about our blankets
in Mrs. Randall's kindergarten. One special child got to be the fairy who
woke everyone from their naps. One child would get to sleep in the cradle!
My first kiss (definitely a quicky) was in a barrel on the kinderg playground.
My other teachers were Mrs. Hogan, Mrs. Burkett, Miss Harrison (who later married teacher Mr. Lowery, much to our titillation), Mrs. Ledger, Mrs. Hartley, and Mrs Bryant. Yes, Mrs. Davis was the ever-present secretary. Mrs Wood seemed pretty old to us. It also seemed weird (at the time) that her sister was principal of Charlotte Wood. I have some very strong, good memories of Montair. I now teach third graders in Gilroy. My dad (age 92 and pretty healthy) lives in Rossmoor, now, and my sister-in-law lives in Alamo. I always miss Danville when I drive through. Many things still stand, but boy, are many things different. I had a great childhood there, roaming the hills, climbing trees, fence-walking, and wading in the creek.

Posted by Dan Holland, a resident of Montair Elementary School
on Jul 11, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I sure wish there was a way to know where these teachers are now. I attended Montair from K-6th in the 70's and have many fond memories of many teachers. Dueplante (spelling?), Donhert, Bishop, Davis, Hansen, Buckley and Isola. Where are they now? I'm sure most if not all have long retired as I'm now a 45 year old dad myself. Ahhh the days of Montair, sure do miss them.

Posted by Debby Gallagher, a resident of Montair Elementary School
on Jul 15, 2013 at 11:51 am

Montair School has been a real family affair for our family. My brother Sean and I attended Montair when it first opened in 1959. It was such a wonderful neighborhood school. We walked to school with all of our friends. I still remember playing jscks and jump-rope at recess!! My 5 daughters all attended Montair school and I hope someday some of my grandchildren will be able to go there also!! Congrats Montair!!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.