Helmet checks on Saturday

Original post made on Apr 17, 2009

Danville police will be out Saturday enforcing the helmet law for young bicyclists, using money from a state grant. They will stop cyclists without helmets and, instead of citing them, will give them cards with information on the helmet law.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, April 16, 2009, 4:56 PM

Posted by Ray
a resident of Charlotte Wood Middle School
on Apr 17, 2009 at 8:55 am

I like the idea of our police officers educating our children and parents on bike safety, It would be nice to see a simular program started for people who use there cell phone while driving a vehicle.

Posted by Jennifer
a resident of Charlotte Wood Middle School
on Apr 17, 2009 at 9:40 am

I met a 12 year old boy who had been involved in a bike accident. He was riding around with his older brother and his friends-just messing around. We wasn't wearing a helmet and had been so seriously injured that he had to wear a medical helmet for a year (to school and to bed, even) so the plates in his head formed/grew back together correctly. Had he been wearing a helmet, his condition would have been less serious. I hope the helmet checks on Saturday are a success.

Posted by Jonathan Multhaup
a resident of John Baldwin Elementary School
on Apr 17, 2009 at 10:41 am

I'm happy to hear that children will start getting some information on safe bicycle riding. Having a child helmet law on the books designed to protect them from permanent injury, is of no real value if it is never enforced. Talking to the kids is very good, but the parents of each child contacted should also receive an appropriate note.

The kids don't ride helmetless without parental knowledge and complicity. Good behaviour in children usually starts with effective and positive parenting. One contact by a law enforcement officer won't teach a child to wear a bicycle helmet when his/her parents don't require it.

Posted by Suzie
on Apr 17, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I fell off my bike and broke my front tooth in half. It was very frightening,I wish I had a helmet. The memory still haunts me - and that was over 40 years ago. What are the current helmet laws?

Posted by John Lieswyn
a resident of Blackhawk
on Apr 18, 2009 at 6:52 am

Hey folks. In New Zealand, when the helmet law was passed, the numbers of school kids cycling to school dropped by 70% overnight. So now for every 1 life saved by helmet wearing, 1200 are lost in sedentary lifestyle related diseases. Safety is in numbers! Don't mitigate the effects of a crash, treat the symptom (too many cars, no cycle skills training). When was the last time that a bike helmet helped AVOID the crash in the first place?

Posted by Danville Mom
on Apr 18, 2009 at 6:59 pm

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!! This is so needed in our town. I live down town and see kids every day not wearing helmets. I always wonder why these kids are never stopped and the helmet law is not enforced. I've even emailed the Danville P.D.. I agree with Johnathon, the parents need to be held accountable. Handing kids a card that will be tossed in the trash is a waste of this grant money, a phone call to the parents or a fine would be more educational. My kids think I am such a mean mom because I make them wear helmets. Too bad so sad!!! It's called parenting...