Cops to visit residents during "National Night Out"

Original post made on Jul 20, 2009

As a way of promoting the Police/Community partnership, Danville Police are urging residents to come out and be a part of "National Night Out 2009." Both Danville and San Ramon police are participating in the national event, which emphasizes residents and police officers working together to prevent crime.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, July 19, 2009, 4:48 PM

Posted by Danville Mom
on Jul 20, 2009 at 7:55 am

And what night would that be??

Posted by Geoff Gillette
Danville Weekly reporter
on Jul 20, 2009 at 9:36 am

Geoff Gillette is a registered user.

The date was left out in error. It has been corrected. Apologies for the omission.

Geoff Gillette

Posted by Shirley
on Jul 20, 2009 at 9:42 am

According to Web Link the gatherings would be held Tuesday, August 4th.

Posted by Rick
on Jul 20, 2009 at 10:26 am

Let's talk about keeping our kids safe from gangbangers. Let's talk about the Rylan Fuchs case

Posted by Rick
on Jul 20, 2009 at 10:29 am

I gotta say, I love the idea of the community looking out for itself, neighbor looking out for neighbor. Let's get back to the ethic of the fifties, where people knew when someone didn't belong or was doing something suspicious, and we weren't afraid to put a stop to it ourselves. The block parties are a brilliant way to nurture this ethic.

Posted by Rick
on Jul 20, 2009 at 10:32 am

PS: I've been doing this with my neighbors for a while. We orchestrated our own version of the neighborhood watch, not quite as benign as most that you see. Our watchers actually have the teeth to do something if they see a problem.

Posted by Fuch's Neighbor
on Jul 20, 2009 at 10:50 am

I, and many others I know,continue to judge the Police Dept. by their actions.Their failure to bring the Rylan Fuch' homicide case to closure after 6 months tells me all I need to know when it comes to their performance.Homicides in our Community are very rare and for that we are fortunate,however, what is it about this case that makes the Dept. reluctant to tell us what is happening.It is extremely rare that status reports never reach the Papers over that period-if mistakes were made then own up to them.The Danville Weekly has a policy of not engaging in investigative reporting so don't expect reports from them.I am skeptical but I do assume the PD are at least keeping the parents aware.I think I'll sit this one out.

Posted by Marie
on Jul 22, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Yes, let's talk about the Rylan Fuch' homicide case…

I am tired of hearing that Rylan brought it on himself. ALL kids make mistakes, NO child is perfect. Danville parents need to wake up. Use Rylan's death as an example to teach your kids, talk to them, watch over them, know who they are hanging out with, know your child's friends parents. Then…pray for Rylan and his family. May God bless and watch over all of our children.

I hope that "National Night Out" is a success. It is a good idea. I have always taken the time to meet the local police officers, whether it was to have them install a car seat or have my children take a tour of the police station. Kids need to know they are here to help and protect us.