Off duty San Ramon firefighter saves jogger's life

Original post made on Oct 28, 2009

An off duty firefighter/paramedic from the San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District performed CPR on a collapsed jogger in a remote section of Anthony Chabot Regional Park in the Oakland Hills on a recent Saturday and is credited with saving his life.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 2:57 PM

Posted by Greg
on Oct 28, 2009 at 9:41 am

Julia......what are your thoughts on this. You probably think there is no reason to give credit to this firefighter. Im sure you feel he was just doing his job !!!!!
How do you live with yourself?

Posted by Louise
on Oct 28, 2009 at 10:08 am

LOL Greg, so true, I was thinking of making the same comment to Julia, but was beaten to it! A big thank you to Medley, and ALL of our community heroes!

Posted by Bainter the Painter
on Oct 28, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I paint houses for a living. I learned cpr because I think that everyone should know how to do cpr. Anyone who knows cpr would have done what the fire man did. I saved a man with cpr 20 years ago. There was no headline line "off-duty house painter saves man's life." If a off duty fire man or a dog saved a life, that would be in the paper. That's ok.

Posted by Dolores Ciardelli
editor of Danville Express
on Oct 28, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Dolores Ciardelli is a registered user.

Dear Bainter,
We'd be happy to write about a house painter saving a life. Although, I admit, a dog saving a life is a better story.

Also, come to think of it, it would be a story if an off-duty house painter painted a house (besides his own). The off-duty firefighter got the story because his organization sent us the information. So keep in touch!

Dolores

Posted by Diane
on Oct 28, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Dolores, I just love your comments!

Painter, a good reminder that we should all keep up with our CPR certifications. I'll take that message from your post and leave the sour grapes behind.

Posted by Bainter the Painter
on Oct 28, 2009 at 8:07 pm

I did paint a house when I was off duty. The house was brown and I thought it should be green. The owner was surprised that I painted his house because he didn't ask me to. He did not like the color I used. He was not happy. I will not do that again.

Posted by Guy
on Oct 29, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Mr. Bainter, may I suggest that had you used a more neutral color perhaps trouble with the homeowner may have been averted. Most people like neutral colors, or at least feel "neutral" about them (no pun intended).

Posted by Truman
a resident of Diablo
on Oct 30, 2009 at 1:27 am

Yes, beige always works well. And, the next time you save someone with CPR, Mr. Bainter, be sure to send a press release to the Danville Weekly. Apparently that's what our paid public servants do. No harm in blowing one's own horn, it seems, especially when one or one's organization is on the public dole.

p.s. Did you know that a firefighter/EMT in the city addresses as many calls in a typical day as our entire district gets? Hmmmm...

Posted by Jake
a resident of Stone Valley Middle School
on Oct 30, 2009 at 6:23 am

Truman (Wolske) is missing the bigger message here – CPR Saves Lives. A man who would be dead now is alive and well because someone, in the right place at the right time, was trained in CPR. The FD is not promoting one of their own – they are promoting the message. Learn CPR and maybe you'll be able to save the life of a family member, a friend, or even a complete stranger. Maybe someone who knows CPR will save your life one day. Get over your petty beef with the FD and be a better citizen. The District offers CPR classes on a regular basis. It would be a much better use of your time at the District. Web Link

Posted by Danville Mom
on Oct 30, 2009 at 8:31 am

Dear All,

While I appreciate reading stories of note in the Danville Express (I admit that I do miss the "paper variety") as well as the opportunity to comment on such articles; I do not appreciate the albeit (usually) friendly banter that goes back and forth on such unrelated subjects such as what color one should paint a house.

Please, folks, let's stay on task and save the useless banter for Facebook. Thank you.

Posted by Danville Dad
on Oct 30, 2009 at 9:40 am

I respectfully disagree with Danville Mom. I enjoy discussing paint color, or at least listening in on discussions about paint. What's for dinner, Mom?

Posted by Danville Mom
a resident of Vista Grande Elementary School
on Oct 30, 2009 at 10:37 am

LOL, what's your Facebook page Danville Dad??

Posted by Zack
on Oct 31, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Can anyone tell me when I need to use a primer? I'm painting the exterior of my house, and I've heard that it's best to primer the surface before painting. Is this always true?

Posted by Scruffy
a resident of another community
on Nov 2, 2009 at 10:34 am

Zack-primer is not always needed. There is no substitute for good surface prep. If the undersurface is resinous wood and knotty, a good primer coat before painting might be a good idea. Good luck!

Posted by Bob
on Nov 4, 2009 at 8:03 pm

I'm planning on bar-b-queing a brisket. Can any of you firefighters (the ones from SRVFPD) suggest a good dry rub and the best cooking conditions? I understand that you guys are experts.