Suspect arrested in Rylan Fuchs slaying

Original post made on Nov 19, 2009

Homicide detectives from the county Sheriff's Office, with assistance from the Danville Police Department, have arrested a suspect in the killing of 17-year-old Rylan Fuchs of Danville in January. Arrested was Walter Bell, 19, of Berkeley, who was at the Santa Rita Jail in Dublin about to be released at 1 p.m. after being held on an unrelated charge.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, November 19, 2009, 3:29 PM

Posted by Susan, a resident of Danville
on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:46 pm

It took some time... Great job Danville PD. let's make sure it sticks!

Posted by paulina, a resident of Danville
on Nov 19, 2009 at 4:11 pm

10 months.. it wont bring him back but itll finally bring some closer.

Posted by Don G., a resident of Alamo
on Nov 19, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Thank you Danville P.D.

Posted by Sharon, a resident of San Ramon Valley High School
on Nov 19, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I so hope this brings some sense of closure to the family. They have been through so much.

Posted by Neighbor, a resident of Alamo
on Nov 19, 2009 at 7:04 pm

A big step in the right direction. My son left for Central America in July and took Rylan's photo with him. I am forwarding this article to him. Rylan's parents can be reaffirmed that none of us have forgotten Rylan or the daily struggles they face.

Posted by Kelly, a resident of Monte Vista High School
on Nov 19, 2009 at 7:23 pm

A huge thank you to the Danville Police Dept.

Posted by Janine, a resident of Blackhawk
on Nov 20, 2009 at 6:30 am

Amazing how team work truly got the job done. To the Danville Police and CC Sheriffs Dept. way to go!

Posted by steve, a resident of San Ramon
on Nov 20, 2009 at 6:35 am

So sorry for Ryans passing but hope that this arrest may bring some peace to his family.

Posted by Thisisreallysad, a resident of Danville
on Nov 20, 2009 at 7:21 am

I never knew Rylan all that well. I had gone to school with him since middle school. He was always nice to me, even if others weren't. I didn't expect his passing to affect me the way it did, and I can't even imagine what his family and friends are going through. I am so so sorry for your loss. The people that committed this crime will pay for what they did. Justice always prevails. His family will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. It's been 10 months, but I know the pain never goes away. May the Lord be with you during this difficult time.

Posted by Still Sick of Rick, a resident of Blackhawk
on Nov 21, 2009 at 11:34 am

A Rick by any other name is still the same reactionary windbag. The guy who pulled the trigger is most likely going to get life without possibility of parole. Because it's a homicide that stemmed from a robbery he gets special circumstances. Either death penalty or life. Either way he won't get away with anything. Stop trying to make people think you know something you don't.

And stop making threats about all the guns you own. You are all talk no action so stop talking. It's not interesting anymore. If it ever was.

Posted by Gunslinger .45, a resident of Danville
on Nov 21, 2009 at 1:10 pm

I'm equally sick of you as you are of me. I wasn't professing anything more than a declarative sentence as to what seemed to be apparent from merely knowing about the case, the degree of noise made outside the house (none), the length of time he was gone, which apparently wasn't long, and where the poor kid was shot. That suggests an ambush behind the back hit.

Posted by Katie, a resident of Monte Vista High School
on Nov 21, 2009 at 4:11 pm

I'm so glad they finally arrested him. I miss Rylan so much and this makes me feel that there is some closure.
Ron and Karen and Trey I love you all and of course Paulina :)
Thank you Danville P.D!

Posted by Marie, a resident of Danville
on Nov 23, 2009 at 6:53 am

Am I missing something? Was someting deleted? The comments from/about Rick, Still Sick of Rick, and Gunslinger .45 don't make sense.

I respect you Thisisreallysad!

God bless the Fuchs family!

Posted by Greg, a resident of Danville
on Nov 24, 2009 at 11:17 am

You are thanking the wrong people. It was the C.C.C. Sheriff's Homecide Unit that made the arrest. danville police could not have done it! I would love to see a danville cop in an Oakland P.D, uniform for one day.............they would quit their job! Where were they when every other police department was helping O.P.D. while they were attending the funerals for the FOUR HERO'S? Think about it. Every other department was there to help out but DANVILLE.
Were were afraid!!!!
I am glad for the Fuchs family.........I hopr they rot in jail!

Posted by Sir Betemore, a resident of Danville
on Nov 24, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Greg, I agree with your assessment of our police department, and my heart also goes out to the Fuch's family. And like you, I think that Rylan's murderer should reap as he sowed.

That said, we must remember that according to our laws the person in custody is "the accused" until he is convicted. I sympathize with everyone's sentiments in this forum, but I fear that trying "the accused" in this forum or in other media will be used by the defense to claim that this guy cannot get a fair trial. We should not give the defense that excuse.

Posted by Gunslinger .45, a resident of Danville
on Nov 25, 2009 at 9:37 am

Yeah, I don't think so. We should air this out good in the public forum, see where all the hitches in the system are that got this kid killed. Then, make damn sure it doesn't happen again.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to login

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

A Norman Rockwell Town
By Roz Rogoff | 7 comments | 1,381 views

David Brooks at his Best and Worst
By Tom Cushing | 11 comments | 935 views

Anti-fracking folks rail against railroads

Be an Exhibitionist!