Danville woman goes over the rainbow

Original post made on Dec 9, 2009

Sue Anderson of Danville hit the jackpot. Literally. She stopped in at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio for a little fun last week – and walked out $1.3 million richer - after playing the Wizard of Oz slot machine because it reminded her of her childhood. Casino patrons walked by and congratulated Anderson, telling her, "Gosh, you're a millionaire," as the winning slot machine continued to play "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, December 8, 2009, 5:14 PM

Posted by Maria
on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:09 am

Congratulations to her for her winnings. What a lucky lady she is. Of course Uncle Sam, the tax man, will grab a big bulk of it. But at least she will have some of it. Good for her!!

Posted by concerned
on Dec 9, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Is this lucky?
Does your "newspaper" promote gambling, an addictive process like smoking and drinking??

Posted by Hope
on Dec 9, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Dear "Concerned",

Ease up!! Can't you just be happy for this lucky lady?

Posted by Citizen Paine
on Dec 10, 2009 at 7:56 am

"Hope" is a good name for a gambler.

"Flunked Math" would be even better. ;-)

Posted by Dick P
on Dec 10, 2009 at 9:42 am

It's about time someone took back the money that those people stole from us, in terms of land too historically. Congratulatoins Sue. America is proud of you.

Posted by Shannea
a resident of Blackhawk
on Dec 10, 2009 at 9:48 am

CONGRATULATIONS SUE!! You did find the pot of gold at the end of the Rainbow! Merry Christmas to you and your family, you are a lucky woman!! :)

Posted by Jane
on Dec 10, 2009 at 4:41 pm

"Those people" Are you referring to the native Americans who lived here long before "we" did? I think it is debateable as to who stole from whom.
Oh, and to Citizen Paine--I don't think many gamblers are guilty of "flunking math" Sounds like a little sour grapes to me.
To concerned--Anything that is done to excess can be addicting. Nobody seems to want to outlaw sex and I hear that it can be a real problem. Lighten up.
Sue, congrataulaations on your good fortune. Have a beautiful Christmas and enjoy your winnings.

Posted by Citizen Paine
on Dec 10, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Right Jane -- gamblers are GOOD at math. And Caesars Palace was built by the Roman Legions.

No sour grapes here -- I just don't believe I'm Special enough to beat the odds that are so clearly stacked in favor of the House.

Posted by Kathy
on Dec 10, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Citizen Paine & Concerned sound like they are married to each other.

Posted by Hope
on Dec 10, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Citizen Paine, you're a real dumb---!

Posted by Roundhouse Muley
on Dec 11, 2009 at 1:12 am

They said I could never be an engineer 'cause I'm touched. Don't matter, 'cause you're all right. The house almost always wins, but good for the lady who won this this time.

No one cares what Ol'Muley thinks. I never got a break, and it's back to the roundhouse for Ol'Muley.

Posted by Citizen Paine
on Dec 11, 2009 at 6:52 am

Garsh, Hope and Kathy -- I must've struck a sensitive chord with you-all.

Hope: my ---, though ample, is not dumb. In fact, it sometimes gets itself accused of being smart. Go figure.

And Kathy: if you think my take on gambling and Concerned's stiff back on the subject are similar, then you're just not paying attention. She seems to find it sinful -- I do not, at all. Please eat, drink and make the mob merry -- have a ball. I just think it's fascinating that folks so willingly donate their hard-earned sheckels to the Casino, when it's so blindingly obvious that it's a losing proposition. I dunno, maybe when you're in Las Vegas, you look around you, swell with pride and wonder, and reflect: "I helped build this place!"

I also had occasion recently to be in Vegas, and to look around and notice the grim determination with which folks "feed the meter," or the wheel, etc. Suffice it to say that most of the people who appear to be having fun in casinos are shooting commercials for the house.

I will defend to the death your God-given right to blow your dough, and I'm happy for the lady who temporarily beat the odds. But please allow me to also marvel at your choices.

Posted by CDSI Research
a resident of another community
on Dec 11, 2009 at 9:55 am

Dear Dolores,

More "Disgustions" and less discussion?

Hal

Posted by OH WOW
on Dec 15, 2009 at 8:06 am

Medical marijuana - bad. Gambling - good. Hypocrites.