Timber!

Original post made on Jan 19, 2010

The redwood and cedar trees are removed to make way for the renovation of the Veterans Memorial Building in Danville. ==B See story at right, including a video.== Photo by Dolores Fox Ciardelli.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, January 19, 2010, 1:27 PM

Posted by TL Nelson
on Jan 19, 2010 at 3:46 pm

What awful, needless destruction of these heritage trees! All for what? .... a few more square feet of floor space in a building that benefits only a small percentage of Danville's residents. I must say that this has left a sour taste in my mouth for the Veteran's groups and city officials ... these can only be people who care little about Danville's natural environment.

The redwoods and cedars on the corner of Hartz and Prospect will be remembered for giving our downtown shade and a sense of place for nearly 70 years only to be senselessly cut down while still in their youth.

Of course, new trees will be planted. These will be Pistacia trees, something normally seen in parking lots. The majestic redwoods and cedars are gone forever .. lost to our generation and all future generations.

The new Veteran's Hall could have been built on another site, one that would not have required the destruction of 70 year old trees (and please don't tell me a suitable site could not have been found).

On the other hand, maybe the town council is right. What Danville really needs is more and bigger buildings and fewer trees. In fact, why not make Hartz Avenue a four lane highway with a 65 mph speed limit? If the existing trees get in the way .... just cut them down!

Posted by David R. Miller
on Jan 23, 2010 at 11:24 am

I am a very active supporter in the rebuilding of our Historic Veteran's Hall. I had listened to the comments regarding the removal of the Redwoods, and I was starting to feel guilty in having them removed. Today I parked my car and view the Hall after the trees were removed and I must say honestly "I IMMEDIATELY SAW AN IMPROVEMENT TO THE BUILDING,THE STREET AND THE COMMUNITY" WHAT A BREATH OF FRESH AIR! The street looks cleaner, wide open and for once in 70 years you now can finally see the beauty of our Historic Veterans Hall. It was like finding a time capsule for all to enjoy. The building must be rebuilt and its antiquity and historical significance will be preserved. When we have our RIBBON CUTTING..........we will all come together and view it with tremendous community pride for all to enjoy. When new trees are selected and planted, all will see our town made the right decision!! God Bless America, Our Veterans,Citizens and the Town of Danville. Prospect and Hartz never looked better.

David R. MIller

Posted by Bainter the Painter
on Jan 23, 2010 at 2:44 pm

It could use a coat of paint. But know one cares...

Posted by Duffy
on Jan 25, 2010 at 9:18 am

There is nothing that says Danville more loudly than the color of weather stained stucco.
I think the town leaders are tearing the wrong thing down!

Posted by Mike, 16-year Danville resident
on Jan 25, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Redwoods and cedar trees are not native to this area. The tree in front of the Veterans Memorial Building were also totally out of scale with the neighborhood.

Posted by Dianne
on Jan 25, 2010 at 12:55 pm

My husband and I now drive only on Railroad Ave. to avoid the stark emptiness where those beautiful trees stood. We didn't realize what an ugly building they hid. Nature is always more beautiful than most things man creates.

Posted by Cranky
on Jan 25, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Mike, you're not native to this area either.

Posted by Frustrated
on Jan 25, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I'm still having trouble navigating your site. It says see story at right, but I don't see a link. Would really like to see the story!

Posted by Mike, 16-year Danville resident
on Jan 26, 2010 at 7:51 am

Dear Cranky, your name says it all.

Posted by Amory Gutierrez, Danville Week
on Jan 26, 2010 at 8:57 am

Here's the link:

Web Link

Posted by Julia
on Jan 26, 2010 at 9:24 am

I can not believe you people...you give more attention to trees then you do the more important issues...if you have to ask what they are...then keep worrying about trees.

Wake up folks, it only a tree. I enjoy trees as much as the next person. I drove by yesterday and the corner looks great...clean and open.

And...Dianne, you and your husband are pathetic...only drive on Railroad Ave...my, my...you both really need to wake up and look around.

Farewell to the trees...they were removed for a good reason.

Thanks, Julia