Why so many cops?

Original post made by Andrew on Mar 2, 2010

I drove to school today about a 10. min drive and then sat waiting for class to start so another 7 min. between the two I saw a total of 16 cop cars that is outrages in only 17 minutes. When sitting in my car in front of the school I saw 4 people get pulled over so that's a 100 meter distance and 4 people got pulled over? That is absolutely ridicules. I though this state need to cut back on spending? Obviously I didn't see that this morning. You can literally go out in front of the high school before class starts and finishes and set up a lawn chair and just watch all the cops go by. They need to get off our case and you wonder why kids hate cops.

Just had to vent, let me know what you think!

Posted by jrm, a resident of Vista Grande Elementary School
on Mar 3, 2010 at 8:17 am

jrm is a registered user.

Andrew.....you may want to consider taking an english composition class in this upcoming Summer session. Glad you got to vent, but the police presence during peak traffic times at SRV is in the interest of keeping everyone safe. Those ticketed were obviously breaking the law.

Posted by beckyjean, a resident of Los Cerros Middle School
on Mar 4, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Actually, the traffic around the schools is very scary. I know that people are in a hurry, but I see people almost killing kids daily for just a few seconds. If the police are making a concentrated effort to clean up traffic violations during school time, more power to them.

Regarding the opinion that it makes Kids hate cops, if you are obeying the law, you will not have a problem. Drive like your Grandma is watching.

Posted by sandy n., a resident of Danville
on Mar 5, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Andrew - In your first sentence alone you committed numerous gramatical errors. I think you should concentrate more on your school work. Also, how do you think revenue is raised? You get a ticket, you pay the ticket, the city gets the money. The police were out doing their jobs, making the streets safer for the pedistrians, now go do your job and become a good student.

Posted by Andrew, a resident of San Ramon Valley High School
on Mar 6, 2010 at 12:23 am

"if you are obeying the law, you will not have a problem"

Just incase you didnt know people make mistakes, most people dont break the law cause they want to get a ticket.

"In your first sentence alone you committed numerous gramatical errors."

I really could care less as I am discussing a topic about cops not a college entry essay.

"I think you should concentrate more on your school work."

What if I want to join the army and not wright poems!

If they want to protect people go to oakland where they can acctually do something.

Posted by Floyd, a resident of Danville
on Mar 6, 2010 at 9:35 am

Hmmmm....the boy has a point!

Posted by sandy n., a resident of Danville
on Mar 6, 2010 at 11:52 am

Andrew drove to school, so I will assume he is a junior or senior in high school. At this point in his life, it doesn't matter whether he is writing a college entrance essay or commenting on the Danvile popo (police) handing out tickets, his grammer and writing abilities are terrible. This will affect him the rest of his life. And, we need the protection of the police in Danville too. If the officers wanted to fight crime in Oakland, they would have hired on with that department.
By issuing tickets to those deserving of them (law breakers)in front of the school, the law enforecemtn agency is hoping to deter others from repeating the same mistakes the scoflaws made. Most people break the law because they either think they are better than it, or they think they can get away with it.

Posted by Officer Krupke, a resident of Danville
on Mar 7, 2010 at 10:20 am

Awww, grammer don't matter none. Jes stay out of trouble.

Posted by samiam, a resident of Danville
on Mar 8, 2010 at 8:10 am

Actually, the fact that a student out of elementary school writes so poorly reflects badly upon the school. I was under the impression that we had good performing schools, at least that is what I am told everytime the district wants more money via parcel tax. The student in question also answered his own query about police at the school. Drivers obey the law to AVOID A TICKET, not to be safe. The police are at the school to train the student drivers properly.

Posted by Andrew, a resident of San Ramon Valley High School
on Mar 9, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Gotta love all the people thinking danville is "perfect" and the education is top of the line.. Not every thing is perfect and Danville sucks all these stuck up ritch people. Just incase you wernt aware not every one is skilled at grammer or spelling you foucus on your streangths and thats all that matters not how well you can spell a word now get out of your perfect danville bubble state of mind and look around.

Haha to Officer Krupke.. Not saying any thing bad about cops just why so many in one concentrated place, my friend was pulled over on crow canyon and said the cop was so nice he wishes he was his dad.

Posted by Officer Krupke, a resident of Danville
on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:29 am

Andrew, I wish I had a son. But that probably means that I'd have to have a date first. That's a problem because women don't like me. Come to think of it, no one likes me.

Stay out of trouble.

Posted by Danville mom, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 1:26 am

Moreover you idiots stop picking on an insightful high school kid trying to make a valid point. And learn how to spell grammar. You're an adult. Read at the library since clearly the education system in CA is an utter failure.

Remember that cops just want to keep their jobs. they will do whatever they can to generate revenue. Why don't we fire them and hire qualified teachers instead of laying off educators?

Posted by Longtime Resident, a resident of San Ramon
on Mar 11, 2010 at 1:42 am

Longtime Resident is a registered user.

Andrew, your comprehension of the English language (or lack thereof) causes me to question your arithmetic as well. I highly doubt Danville has that many officers on duty at any one time. I suspect they probably don't even have that many patrol cars.

And Danville Mom, feel free to pull your head out of the clouds. I don't have any idea how much "revenue" is generated from a ticket that I write, nor do I care. I don't work in Danville but I suspect the drivers are just as bad - I don't have to "make up" violations. They typically fall into my lap.

Posted by Come on..., a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 7:18 am

Let's face it. A lot of the kids driving to school DO drive to fast and need to slow down. They are also talking on the phone and texting. If putting in a speed trap promotes safety--so be it.

Posted by eAGLE, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 7:32 am

ANDREW
WHATEVER YOU DO, PLEASE DON'T JOIN THE ARMY. THE LAST THING WE NEED IS ANOTHER ILLITERATE AND ARMED MALCONTENT!
AND- IN REGARD TO "DANVILLE MOM" - - WOW; WITH THE ATTITUDE YOU ARE SHOWING, I SURE FEEL SORRY FOR YOUR KID(S). WHAT AN EXAMPLE OF CITIZENSHIP, ACCEPTING RESPONSIBILITY, AND SENSE OF RESPECT YOU ARE TEACHING YOUR KID(S). IT'S A SAD WORLD AROUND US!

Posted by Andrew, a resident of San Ramon Valley High School
on Mar 11, 2010 at 8:05 am

Besides the fact that Danville Mom acctually knows what she is talking about California is really close to having the worst education at the moment. So mayby next time you start saying that Danville education is top of the line you should go turn on the news and just listen to all the education cuts and pink slips being handed out. Belive it or not the majority of people getting pulled over are impactient parents rolling stops or getting impactient and busting illegal uturns.. You guys clearly don't know what your talking about we spend more on prisoners then education that's pretty sad. To all the stuck up Danville people y'all need to get out and explore the world and be happy for what you have and not that you live in perfectville. For example I remember reading on here that there was a druggie from oakland came to Danville with a gun and was behind dennys or something many comments were suggesting having all the main entry points to Danville set up with checkpoints to keep people that don't belong in Danville out. All most every one agreed that's pure crazyness last I checke this is a free country and I can go where ever Portion removed due to disrespectful comment or offensive language] I want. On top of that at least I can bring up a reasonable topic about how indebt we are but there are so many cops in one area it's bot worth the money to have them their.

Posted by Paul, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 8:20 am

Wow so many comments!

I agree too many cops AND apparently kids in high school can barely write! What a shame on both counts for something which should be good go to waste.

By the way not everyone one in Danville is rich, many just appear to be OK. The fact is sooo many are struggling, ever notice how many foreclosures and short sales there are in our "upscale" community?

Posted by EAGLE, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 8:24 am

ANDREW
SHOULDN'T YOU BE IN SCHOOL?
TRY IT, IT MAY DO YOU SOME GOOD AND YOU MAY EVENTUALLY BECOME A PRODUCTIVE MEMBER OF THIS SOCIETY.

Posted by Jan, a resident of Diablo
on Mar 11, 2010 at 8:34 am

Andrew is quite obviously an angry young man. Perhaps instead of "bashing" Danville he could be assisting the homeless and food banks in Oakland. Then he just may have a brand new appreciation for his pathetic life in Danville.

Posted by Danville Mom II, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 8:54 am

Andrew. I appreciate your points and they are good ones but like others have said, the police are pulling people over because of something they've done wrong.

Not all people in Danville have their heads in the clouds and most certainly not all are rich. Just like kids in school, people feel they must look and act a certain way to be accepted.

It sounds as if you have a pretty good idea of what you want to do with your life. Just be the best you can whatever you choose, and make your choices in a positive manner. Anger and retaliation are useless ways to spend living. Focus on doing what's right and you'll make the best decisions. I wish you the best.

Posted by Rick Pshaw, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 8:56 am

Andrew, your message is important, but it disappears because of how its presented.

Posted by Jeanie, a resident of San Ramon
on Mar 11, 2010 at 9:06 am

Well, this DOES increase revenue!

Posted by Charles Fiedler, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 10:00 am

I own a townhouse in the Danville Oaks complex on the upper street level, next to the tennis courts. What I observe on a daily basis is excessive speed, excessive noise and reckless driving. I appreciate the Danville Police officers for the great service in this area and they actually need more enforcement. Another concern is the boom-boxes and that noise and the children on their Harley motorcycles with excessive noise, speed and drag racing (especially on the week-ends.

Talked with a city official about a four way stop on Danville Blvd. and El Cerro. No response! Also suggested a 25 MPH speed sign well west of El Cerro. No response!

My property is presently on the market; please come by and make an offer! I have had enough of the small town charm.

Cordially,

Charles Michael Fiedler

Posted by Rose, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 11:11 am

HOW VERY RUDE! If this kid is for real, it doesn't say much for the school system. In the mean time...how very rude to jump all over his grammar. This holier than thou attitude, speak volumes!!

Andrew is the product of your schools!! Perhaps you should pile drive the system and not show your inappropriate put down on the child.

Sounds like River City!!!

Posted by Diane, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 11:31 am

Eagle, you are jumping all over a CHILD who is likely entering their contribution to this thread from a phone - I have a hard time with that myself.

Andrew - good points and thanks for sharing your perspective. Not sure if I am on board with your reasoning re: traffic tickets, but you have a right to your experience and opinion. Next time keep it clean and we can get your whole post.

Posted by Alamo Resident, a resident of Alamo
on Mar 11, 2010 at 11:48 am

Thank you Andrew - for posting your comments. I totally agree that there are too many police ready to pounce on anyone for the slightest infraction on that stretch of road.

Posted by Eagle, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 1:00 pm

No, Andrew is not a product of the school system; he is the product of his parents. The school system can only do so much for a child whose basic personality has been molded by parents for however many number of years. It's expecially hard for the school and the teacher to influence a child who is "entering their (sic) contribution to this thread from a phone" rather than paying attention to class work or getting ready for the school subjects at hand. Any pile driving, as suggested by a writer above, should be aimed not at the school but at the parents and others who condone and excuse ,mediority, shunning responsibilities, and placing blame on others!
Obviously the "child" is well off since he drove himself to school. Obviously his parents opted to live in the relatively safe neighborhood like Danville. Obviously you all, as well, decided to live in this neck of the woods- mostly inhabited by law abiding citizens and protected by a vigilant police force. Yet how you all enjoy bashing the very fabric that brought you to this place. Charles Fiedler has it right! This small town charm is wearing thin.

Posted by Willy T, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 1:04 pm

to Charles F.
The intersection at El Cerro and Danville Blvd is signalized. Do you want to tear it all down and put in stop signs? Also there are 25 MPH signs posted all over that area including a large one southbound on Danville blvd at the tennis courts. No wonder the Town is not responding, they can't figure out what you talking about. Good luck selling your home, hope you find what your looking for.

Posted by Joe, a resident of Alamo
on Mar 11, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Speaking as a student, I must point out that the school system (even in Danville) is a complete and utter failure. If only the parents could really see what goes on behind the doors of San Ramon Valley High; there are quite a few exceptionally bad teachers employed at SR. [English] Teachers will usually do anything to pass students, subjecting them to silly, poorly thought-out tests that somehow allow the student to get by with a "C". Repetition was the name of the game in the English department - I remember doing the classic "book vs. movie" report every year of high school.

In regards to police presence - yes, there are police seemingly everywhere in Danville. They pull kids over for reasons that have no weight while many of the truly dangerous drivers get away. I have never been pulled over in my 3 years of driving, but I suspect I have always been in the right place at the right time.

Posted by Eagle, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Joe
Your comments were well thought-out, expressed very succinctly and were well written! Congratulations.
Despite the poor quality English teachers you described, you seem to be doing very well- I sure hope your grades reflect that fact.
I also admire your character whereby you spoke up for your fellow student. That was BIG of you; you are a true leader and have courage to stand up for someone who needs help.
I wish you all the best in your future

Posted by Danville Entrepreneur, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I stand by Andrew and Joe. Both speak volumes about the false image of the police as defenders and protectors. Eagle, you in particular, have your head in the clouds. You are a finger-pointer. I would hope that you do not have children, the way you speak to these young people.

Your comments are biased, uninformed, and just completely naive. I hope that someday you have an opportunity to step outside of California and see the real world. Guess what? Cops sometimes just want to keep their jobs. How often do you see someone pulled over for a minor infraction when they should be pulling over those people texting while driving (potentially fatal).

Regaring the poor grammar skills, I'm just taking a wild guess that you can't text to save your life. He is probably texting (like all kids do these days). Get more hip, be less judging, and take a world tour. Do you still use a typewriter? Step out more - maybe you'll get a clue. Andrew and Joe - you guys rock! I'd be proud to have you as my kids, and proud to see you serve on behalf of this (still) great country.

Joe's comments are spot on about the teachers in this state. Their jobs should be merit-based, which means most of them (but of course not all) should be fired and replaced with ones from the midwest or East coast. You know, where schools rank in the top 50 (and remember the US is just the "tallest midget"). You self-righteous people make me so sad.

Posted by Renee, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Andrew, you need to do a ride along with the Danville PD, then maybe you would understand how it works, try to ride along on a weekend night. I am sure you have driven Sycamore to Camino Tassajara and then up towards the East gate of Blackhawk...it can be like a raceway. In front of SRVHS, kids are crossing Moms are in a hurry, cell phones, texting and Starbucks are in the way and then you have a disaster...first thing anyone says "where are all the cops". The cops are there to make a presence and people complain!! Sixteen sounds like a huge number, but there is a posibility that there was a traffic sting going on (several officers work together and concentrate on an area). If you know anyone at other High Schools in the area, the same is done around their schools. My suggestion to you and your friends is stay under the radar and they WILL leave you alone!

Posted by bz, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I might be a bit "tainted," but I do think there is a bit of "overkill" in this area with what I think is frivilous tickets. In Nov I was given a ticket for wearing my BUCKLED seat belt under my arm rather than over my shoulder. As a result of that experience, I now am "second guessing" the motives of our local police. Too bad: I have always appreciated and respected police until now. Now I just view them as more "human."

Posted by Curious, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 7:58 pm

bz - I hope you thanked that eagle eyed officer, for noticing that you were not wearing your seat belt properly and educating you in its proper use, as it is not wise to push Darwin too far.

What were you thinking when you put it on that way?

Would you "wear" your mandatory motorcycle helmet over your elbow?

I'm just,

Curious.

Posted by David, a resident of Walnut Creek
on Mar 11, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Curious, I think that a warning would have been quite appropriate in bz's case. That "eagle eyed officer" could have done that, and it may have helped the image of Danville's "finest." Yes, that was indeed a frivolous ticket. Cops like that are the main reason I avoid going to Danville. It's not worth the risk of being hasseled by cops who are either on a power trip, bored, or over-zealous.

Posted by Danville Neighbor, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Cops in Danville do not know how to give warnings. They are out for themselves. Don't kid yourselves, any of you, that they are "looking out for you". Cuz they are not. Danville cops especially have huge egos and nothing to back it up. That's why they pick on good people doing very little wrong. No one is perfect, but a warning would be appropriate in many cases. I've lost all respect for the law since moving to Danville CA. These cops do not have the correct mission - to serve and protect. Instead, their purspose is to suck us dry out of our hard earned money for no reasonable excuse. Her seatbelt? What about the guy weaving back and forth in his lane because he is texting while driving? Stop with this nonsense about the cops protecting us. It's an absolute false notion based on ideals, not reality.

Posted by Michael, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Curious - what is your beef? Danville police are known for their inability to go after the big crimes - instead they give tickets to the people who won't fight back (you know, people like you). They don't want any problems, they are totally frivolous. They go after moms, kids, and old folks (oh yeah, and middle-aged white men). Dude, get real. Eagle eyed cop - LOL. Thanks for making me laugh at your naive humanity.

Posted by Andrew, a resident of Danville
on Mar 11, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Eagle you clearly dont have the slightest idea of how or where I was rasied dont even try and guess. Lets just say I know what is in the world and I am thankful for what I have. Both my Dad and Grandpa went from nothing to something. Your ability to succecd in High school rarely affects your future, as I said before foucus on your strengths and you will live a prosperouis life. If you would spend a day in my shoes you would be very upset to see the quality of teachers. You cant possibly blame parents if the teachers dont know how to teach. To all that have had reasonable replys thanks for the input. To add to the worthless tickets my friend was ticketed for having an out license plate bulb. Tell me thats not stupid.

Posted by Rick Pshaw, a resident of Danville
on Mar 12, 2010 at 8:51 am

Cars need license plate bulbs so that the evil cops can come and drag you away when you rob a liquor store.

Here's a training lesson for you when you go out into the world. Repeat the following until you have them memorized:

"You want fries with that?"

"Here's your shopping cart."

Posted by Concered Parent, a resident of Danville
on Mar 12, 2010 at 9:54 am

Rick, that is truly inappropriate, and just plain mean. Do you look down on people who work at McDonalds, or at Safeway? Are you so much better than anyone else? Try this "You want to jump off this bridge" and do us all a favor? Grab Eagle and Officer Krupke and the rest of the evil cops on your way down.

Posted by Andrew, a resident of San Ramon Valley High School
on Mar 12, 2010 at 11:04 am

Rick, I have a suggestion for you.. How about you learn how to give some one some respect. People that work at Safeway or Mc. Donalds are trying to make an honest living. I give them FULL respect for that, they could be on the corner asking for hand outs. But no they are working minimum wage just to get by. For you to degrade them like that is very disrespectfull and you need to grow up. At least I treat people like human beings.

Posted by Real Estate Law, a resident of Danville
on Mar 12, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Charles Fieldler: Please make sure that when you sell your home, that you have fully and accurately listed in the disclosures all the noise, traffic problems, etc you allege about from SRV...

Posted by Rick Pshaw, a resident of Danville
on Mar 12, 2010 at 2:54 pm

The people who are giving you a ticket are also trying to make an honest living. I'm glad you treat people like human beings, even the cops. But what was it you said in your original post? "They need to get off our case and you wonder why kids hate cops."

Do you hate cops, Andrew? Do you treat them like human beings?

Posted by Danville Resident, a resident of Danville
on Mar 13, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Way to many police, giving idoitic tickets. Just compare the number of calls with the number of patrol cars on duty. Not enough calls to keep 1/2 of them busy. It is the reason you see 2 or 3 patrol cars at one incident. Also someone should look at the amount we spend on fire services. San Ramon Valley spending on fire equipment and personnel are the internal joke of the fire community.

No disrespect to our those that serve, but you need to look at the quantitative justification. And Joe C, I don't care if we are the lowest per capita of Contra Costa cities, what is the supply vs. demand?

Posted by Danville Resident, a resident of Danville
on Mar 13, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Posted by Danville Resident, a resident of Danville
on Mar 13, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Posted by Officer Krupke, a resident of Danville
on Mar 13, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I am glad that Rick Pshaw thinks that we should be treated as humans, because we are human, dammit! Sure, I give out tickets, sometimes frivolously, but I'm lonely. It seems that handing out tickets for cracked windshields, not signalling for a right-hand turn, or improper use of seatbelts is the best way for me to have interaction with other humans. I'm just trying to meet people, and if one day I manage to find Ms. Right, or just find a date through of one of my routine "suspicious stops", then it will be all worth it.

The rest of you, stay out of trouble.

Posted by itold you so, a resident of Danville
on Mar 13, 2010 at 9:15 pm

everyone knows the danville police come from other bad areas of ccc before they get hired on in danville. so when they come to a community filled with all white people, they do not know what to do as there are no more black, mexican or other less desirable minorities groups around for them to harass. so they pick on the kids of the rich folk who live here. also a a lot of the kids dabble in cocaine, meth, marijuana, and beer/alcohol so 5 out of 10 times they have a chance of searching and finding something illegal going on. be smart. leave your weed at home and do not give them a reason to harass you, and if you ever feel like you are being harassed take a badge number and file a formal complaint. police know that a mark on their jacket will follow them for years and keep them from being promoted. so mess with the cops the legal way. they only act tough when they pull you over and shine the lights in your eyes. use your parents influence and stature for your benefit.

Posted by Hate it here, a resident of Danville
on Mar 14, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I wish the cops would pull over all the MOMS in the SUV's who are TALKING ON THEIR DAMNED CELL PHONES

The School area is the best place to find them too..and I don't mean the kids, I mean the adults in this town....
If you want to see them in action, try to park in Trader Joes lot on a weekend....

OMG--- can you say RUDE PEOPLE??

Posted by itold you so, a resident of Danville
on Mar 14, 2010 at 2:44 pm

take a video shot of the lady talking on her cell phone and a picture of her license plate and proceed directly to the danville police and pursue a citizens arrest/enforcement of violation of the law. its easy to make the people that live here comply with the rules and regulations. hit them where it hurts. a little public embarrassment will make many of the danville mothers and their fake plastic parts comply. and once you establish a 1st offense voilation , they will most likely think twice before violating the same law/ ordinance again.

Posted by katie, a resident of Danville
on Mar 14, 2010 at 8:03 pm

To the Danville mom who wrote "Danville cops are not protecting anyone. They are trying to generate revenue by making up violations and having them supported by the sleazy justice system."

I presume you live in Danville exactly because the cops are protecting you, your 2.5 white children, your Tahoe or Suburban, and your million dollar home.

Posted by Kari, a resident of Danville
on Mar 16, 2010 at 9:12 am

Give Andrew a break. I am impressed that he is using his voice and writing to the paper. He clearly feels strongly about the subject. Writing to the paper is not an easy thing for a high school student to do.

I agree with Andrew. There are way too many police out lately. I am guessing they are suppose to pull over more people to help with the Calif. budget problem. My son has been pulled over 2 times at SRVHS and both times were ridiculous. He got off by the judge on both accounts. These police are unjustly targeting these high schools.

I know we need police and I appreciate what they do, but let's be fair about this. Don't pull people over just to hit your quota!

Posted by Andrew, a resident of San Ramon Valley High School
on Mar 16, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Thanks Kari, you hit the nail on the head!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.