summer job for high school kids

Original post made by James on Mar 4, 2010

Does anyone can post how and where my high school son can find a summer job in Danville? He is a Monte Vista high student.

Thank you!

Posted by CDSI Research, a resident of another community
on Mar 4, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Dear Dolores,

Likely a contact to Community Presbyterian Church Jobs Connection program would allow high school students to use the connections to regional employers for summer work. Be assured it will be difficult.

Another source is www.snagajob.com that offers hourly jobs to part-timers, students, seniors and even managers.

It seems that Doug at CCC-JC and you could create an article or let the young man, as your columnist who covers school activities, create a list of job connections.

Hal/CDSI
CDSI Info: halbailey@yahoo.com

Posted by Horatio Alger, a resident of Danville
on Mar 4, 2010 at 3:15 pm

When I was much younger I promised myself that I would never tell "when I was a kid" stories when I got to be old, but here I am, breaking a promise made long ago. Please forgive me.

James, first, you are to be admired and congratulated for caring about your high school aged son so much that you are willing to do his footwork to find a job. Perhaps you should consider that learning self-reliance is an important part of education. A high school aged young man with enough ambition and gumption will figure out how to find a summer job, even if McDonalds or the local service station are not hiring. When I was 12 I put hand-printed circulars in people's front doors, advertizing my services as an expert at lawn care, car washing, car waxing, weeding, painting, babysitting, snow shovelling, you name it. In time I built up a list of customers who'd use my services regularly, and in a typical summer I'd make more than $3,000, and that was 45 years ago. These jobs, which got me through high school, earned me ample money, taught me a little about how to run a small business, the importance of being reliable, the importance of hard work, and, most importantly, self-reliance.

James, I think that if your son has the desire, you can point him in the right direction and he can find the answer to your question by himself. Good luck.

Posted by Leandro, a resident of another community
on Mar 4, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Horatio's is the best! I'm not talking about the restaurant on the marina named after Horatio Nelson the British admiral and hero of the Battle of Trafalgar, but Horatio Alger the author of the original, great American rags-to-riches story made famous in the late 19th century.

Posted by A Suggestion, a resident of Danville
on Mar 5, 2010 at 8:18 am

My teen daughter just got a postcard for the San Ramon teen job fair. I don't have it in front of me, but it's going to be held on Sat 3/20. You can probably search it online or call the City of San Ramon for more details.

Posted by CDSI Research, a resident of another community
on Mar 5, 2010 at 8:46 am

Dear Dolores,

Here are the references for Teen Job opportunities:

San Ramon Teen Job Fair

This Teen Job Fair for teens ages 14-18 will give them the opportunity to talk with businesses and volunteer organizations about employment and work experience from 1-4 p.m., Saturday, March 20, at 9300 Alcosta Blvd., San Ramon. Workshops will be held in areas as "preparing for an interview," "how to prepare a resume" and more. This event is free. Call 973-3250.

Also, CPC Jobs Connections meets each Saturday Morning starting at 9AM at the Community Presbyterian Church, Danville CA.

Hal/CDSI

Posted by Just a Teen, a resident of Danville
on Mar 5, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Web Link

Posted by shutterbug, a resident of Danville
on Mar 5, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I have younger kids so I can not offer you where your son can find a job. Hopefully he does find one, however if he doesn't, he certainly can do volunteer work where he can gain experience, learn new skills and help others at the same time.

Posted by Dairy Queen, a resident of Walnut Creek
on Mar 5, 2010 at 9:41 pm

As someone who owned several fast food restaurants and hired teenagers all the time, I can offer a few tips in the job search.

1. Be on time for an interview. If you're late for the interview then I can almost bet that you'll be late for work.

2. While there's no need to wear a suit to an interview for a fast food job, anybody can afford a collared shirt and a decent pair of slacks that are worn around the waist. If money is an issue, you can find such an outfit at any local Goodwill type store.

3. Be honest in the interview. If I find out you lied to me during the interview, how can I trust you in a job where you handle my money?

4. The interview doesn't end when we stop speaking. I will watch how you conduct yourself as you leave and walk to your car. I can't be at the restaurant every second, so I have to know that I can trust you when you think I'm not watching.

5. Some things you never forget in life - your first job is one of them. I was your age once and yes I still remember my first job at a movie theater. So, I make it my mission to help teach you a good work ethic that you can take with you on your way to adulthood and provide you with a pleasant, safe working environment so you'll, hopefully, remember your first job with me as an enjoyable one. So, relax, pay attention, and pick a job you'll enjoy.

Posted by perneisha seamster, a resident of Tassajara Hills Elementary School
on Apr 23, 2010 at 8:37 am

looking four a summer job

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.