Annoying Sheriff Election Telemarketing

Original post made by jrm on Apr 7, 2010

Am I the only one getting calls from some guy named Tony about the upcoming sheriff election? In the midst of my dinner tonight I got another repeated and irritating automated call from him letting me know his good friend Tom Mc Clintock was speaking next about why he was endorsing Tony for the election. Given we spend such a high percentage of our tax dollars on these guys and are deciding to not go our own way in terms of financing Danville police staffing I just want to say to him if you want my vote stop this campaign approach. I know this is the ultimate gravy train with Warren Rupf finally retiring (Delores, how much will his pension be per annum and what are his health care benefits?) When is this election scheduled?

Posted by Ralph N. Shirlet, a resident of another community
on Apr 8, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Ralph N. Shirlet is a registered user.

Dear Dolores,

Among neighbors in our corridor, conversations acknowledged the frustration of receiving a constant flow of computer-generated calls from Meg and others campaigning for various offices. If that weren't enough, these candidates hire promotion companies to disguise campaign activities as telephone opinion polls.

It does not matter if it is a residence or a business or for that matter what time of day it is. The calls are constant and they are from our new "best friends" such as Meg, Steve and more. Even Nancy, bless her heart, had her computer call me to tell me how important I was to our nation.

One thing for sure this year, voters are very special people that deserve a great deal of attention from political computers.

I know I feel special,

The ROFL in Ralph N. Shirlet

Posted by Tony Geisler, a resident of Diablo
on Apr 9, 2010 at 11:38 am

Jim,

May I clarify one point? You are not the only one. It is from Tony Amador from Lodi, who is running in the Republican Primary against David Harmer and several others for Jerry McNerney's Congressional seat. He is most certainly not running for Contra Costa County Sheriff, since he resides in San Joaquin County. I do agree that these messages are highly annoying, not just from him but from anyone. Unfortunately political and charitable institutions are exempt from the National Do-Not-Call list so you will continue to be barraged with daily phone calls from these groups.

Posted by psmacintosh, a resident of Danville
on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Interesting that jrm should single out this particular call campaign for criticism.
I've gotten all of the above-mentioned canned calls.

Don't forget the year-long blitz of monthly canned phone messages designed to smear Richard Pombo with half-truths and innuendos back when Jerry McNerney was readying to run for Congressional seat. "Call Pombo at _________ and tell him that you don't like such-and-such!" That automated call campaign went on and on for months.
Now that McNerney has obtained office, he doesn't need to put out as many of these messages (so there has been a dramatic decrease in messages on his behalf).

Notice how the politicians made sure to SPECIFICALLY EXEMPT "political" phone calls and "surveys/opinion polls" from the DO NOT CALL restrictions and legislation.

As a result, we ALL are having to "put up" with these types of annoying, irritating, and interrupting automated messages from BOTH sides of the political spectrum.

Posted by psmacintosh, a resident of Danville
on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Two other types of repeated and irritating automated calls are:
the CARPET CLEANER GUY touting some type of promotion for my neighborhood or this time of year (how is he still getting away with making these calls contrary to the law?), and
the COLLECT CALL from Global Telephone from some unknown female in prison (press "1" to get sucked into some scam).

Posted by Scooter, a resident of Danville
on Apr 9, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I'm voting against him. Stupid annoying telemarketing!

Posted by Ron, a resident of Danville
on Apr 9, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I dont answer my home phone. If you dont announce whom you are, no getting me to answer. Simple way to keep the blood pressure down.

Posted by Duffy, a resident of Danville
on Apr 13, 2010 at 8:44 am

Telemarketing is intrusive and annoying and hopefully will soon be recognized by the "advertiser" as counter-productive. Until then just set the phone down (in order to hold up one of their lines) and go back later and hang it up.

Posted by Lucy, a resident of Danville
on Apr 13, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Don't have a land line. I only have a cell phone and I don't get any of these calls!!!!!!

Posted by Roundhouse Muley, a resident of Danville
on Apr 13, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I like getting calls. Because I answer MY phone, I will be getting alot of money from an important person in Nigeria. I only had to put up $2,000 of my own money. I can't wait!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.