Alamo teen heading 'into thin air'

Original post made on May 5, 2010

An 18-year-old from Alamo is hoping to be one of the youngest to ever climb Mount Everest, and his parents are backing him all the way. Climbing is his passion, his dad says, and he's already tackled Mount Shasta, Mount Whitney, Mount Rainier, Mount McKinley and Mount Kilimanjaro.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, May 4, 2010, 2:14 PM

Posted by spcwt, a resident of Danville
on May 5, 2010 at 7:44 am

I love it. I wish I had the balls to do that.

Posted by Ralph N. Shirlet, a resident of another community
on May 5, 2010 at 11:27 am

Ralph N. Shirlet is a registered user.

Dear Emily,

I have flown just 5000 feet above Everest some years ago. I have heard that the cell and internet service is poor and there is no room service. From my view it seemed cloudy and cold, so I recommend the outer beaches of Penang Malaysia for a more pleasant holiday.

Ralph just slightly ROFL

Posted by Carrie, a resident of Monte Vista High School
on May 6, 2010 at 9:47 am

My son goes to Monte Vista and I think this is one motivated senior. My dad was asked to be on the U.S. Expedition for Mt. Everest in 1980, quite an accomplishment, he even missed my high school graduation because he was on some expedition in Nepal. Would love to see if Scott has a webpage so we can see his progress or Danville Weekly would do an update on the story. Wish Scott lots of luck!

Posted by matt, a resident of another community
on May 6, 2010 at 10:35 am

I was inspired to climb the high mountains of the world by my father at the age of six,growing up in yosemite valley the pioneers of rock climbing the big grainte walls were all present as well as myself, one of the youngest boys to have had the oppurtunity to climb with folks that now are legends after making many of the most difficult ascents on the highest peaks in the world.After climbing the same peaks as scott before the age of 30,and some high ones in south america,my numerous trips to the himalayas climbing many peaks below 8000 meters i never manifested my dreams of doing one of the real big boys,now at the age of over 50 my shot is pretty much over so ill stick to paddelin the rivers that the high mountains glaciers feed.I envy Scott for attempting everest at such a young age and respect his parents for giving the tremendous support needed in the high altitude climbing world.Being a climbing junkie for most of my life and still being alive to talk about my fond memories of the sport,as Scott well knows after being on denali those huge avalanches are what we all need to avoid at all costs,so be careful,climb safe and enjoy the higher realms of the world, There will always be only a handfull of us who were meant to go to such places.A kindered spirit wihes you the best reguards.

Posted by Christina, a resident of Blackhawk
on May 8, 2010 at 12:01 am

Here's the link to Scott's team's dispatches that are updated practically everyday for those whom are interested!

www.rmiguides.com/dispatches/everest10.php

There are also updates on FirstAscent and Outdoor Blogs.

Posted by Susanne, a resident of Alamo
on May 14, 2010 at 11:34 am

I'm the Mom, as parents we are just so proud of our young man.He has trained hard and focused all his energy and studied hard to graduate and secure his college prior to this trip. He has a big dream and has his families support. If you want to follow his steps log on to www.rmiguides.com/dispatches/everest10.php or Outdoor Blogs or FirstAscent. Keep Scott and all the Mountain climbers in your prayers summit is a big deal but getting home is a lot more dangerous, currently the winds are high and teams are climbing. As it gets more crowded and conditions worsen every step is full of peril.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.