Work ready to begin on Vets Hall reconstruction

Original post made on Jul 5, 2010

A groundbreaking took place in front of the Veterans Memorial Building in Danville on Friday morning, complete with the traditional golden shovels. During the next 18 months, people driving by the Vets Hall, a fixture on the corner of Hartz Avenue and East Prospect for 85 years, will watch it go through some dramatic changes.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, July 4, 2010, 12:10 PM

Posted by Maria, a resident of Danville
on Jul 5, 2010 at 8:59 am

There would of been a better turn out for the ground breaking if people were not still fuming about the Redwoods being cut down behind our backs. I'm all for the Verterans and needing a new building, but This project still makes me sick when I walk by.

Posted by Roark, a resident of Danville
on Jul 5, 2010 at 11:18 am

I agree completely with Maria. The decision to cut down our heritage trees was unforgivable and has tainted this project with a foul air. I know a lot of local residents who will never consider going near this building after it is completed. The sacrifice for a few more square feet of floor space was just too great.

Posted by psmacintosh, a resident of Danville
on Jul 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Should we put some marker (plaque or tombstone) out there to commemorate the sacrifice and destruction (behind our backs) of these long-time citizens (trees) of Danville. (How old were those trees, anyway?)
Something to commemorate their deaths for the new future of this building.
Something to keep their sacrifice from being forgotten and lost upon future generations.
Something to discourage this same type of action from being done again by our city government somewhere else in Danville without more thorough community input and vote beforehand.

What should we do? Because, you know nothing in the city government has changed here, so it will happen again.

What could we do--either officially (with permission).....or unofficially (as a statement of civil protest)!?!
Who would be for doing it?
Who would "continue/maintain" it?

Let's see who really is that sorry about those trees--or the manner in which they were dismissed from our community.

Posted by tree lover, a resident of Danville
on Jul 5, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I agree with Maria. As for "psmacintosh", your senseless sarcasm bores me. I think the fact that Maria said anything at all is great. I am still angry about the redwood trees. It is good to see there are other people in Danville that feel the same.

Posted by Rose, a resident of Danville
on Jul 5, 2010 at 4:32 pm

As we watched the parade yestereay,I couldn't help remembering all the years our town gathered under those magnificient trees on July 4th, uncessarily slaughtered in the middle of our town! I still can't drive by that mess without a feeling of great loss.

What a rotten shame that sad cloud will always remain. Call those of us who still hurt, winers, cry babies etc. We have heart and as we love our Country our Town and our Veterans, we also love our history and those beautiful trees!!

Posted by Barbara, a resident of Danville
on Jul 6, 2010 at 3:02 pm

It was hot sitting out there watching our great 4th of July parade. I found myself bribing the owner of Peasant and the Pear to plant a tree. Heck - I'll pony up $75 bucks for another tree to be planted in town. Plant it in front of the Veterans bldg, anywhere.

Anyone else willing to put $ where there mouth is? Cause I seriously doubt $75 will buy anything but a weed. Anyway, what will the Town say if they have the money to plant more tree's.

I can think of many corners where a tree would be great - I love the town and really would like to see more trees - shade, I thought my mother was going to faint watching the parade.

Seriously, I have more oak tree seedling's which will take yrs to grow - but free, just need watering and protection from tree killers.

Posted by Michele, a resident of Danville
on Jul 8, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Those trees were beautiful, and added so much charm and character to our town. It is shocking to see how bare the corner looks without them. I doubt a building, no matter how well designed, can bring back the unique small town beauty that corner used to have.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.