CHP targets drivers using cell phones

Original post made on Aug 11, 2010

The California Highway Patrol and law enforcement agencies across the Bay Area joined forces Tuesday for a strict zero-tolerance campaign aimed at identifying and issuing citations to motorists talking or texting on cell phones while driving.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, August 10, 2010, 11:18 AM

Posted by Del Chandler
on Aug 11, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Hopefully Danville Police (and county Sheriff officers) will do the same for Danville. I can't believe how many people still violate this law; especially while driving fast through town paying more attention to their phones than traffice and pedestrians.

Posted by Julia
on Aug 11, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Mr. Del Chandler, you are mistaken...They are not paying attention to their phones...they are paying attention to their conversation while chatting on their phone. Having a cell phone against your ear is not a distraction...it's the BS coming out of their mouth and the mouth of the other party that's the distraction.

Julia from Alamo

Posted by Sally N.
on Aug 11, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Heh...Julia, I have to agree with you. People having "hands-free" conversations drive just as distractedly in my experience. It does help when the conversation is with a passenger and not someone on the phone...at least then there are two people paying some attention to their surroundings.

Posted by Louise
on Aug 12, 2010 at 8:33 am

Julia You are absolutely correct!

My personal experience is that the "longer" you talk on the phone, the more involved in the conversation you get- this is why I think hands free laws make it worse- not only is it not obvious which drivers to "avoid" (assume they will make mistakes) but now that you don't have to use your hand uncomfortable you talk longer!

If you "have" to use your hands free- one solution- consciously limit your call to a min or two- call back if you "must", but interrupting the call, can refocus your mind on driving- (or better yet, keep the call short to begin with!)

I'd hate to see a law making it illegal totally BUT- Numberous times have had to avoid an accident with the a distracted driver, and they are so clueless to even know it.

KEEP conversations short!

Posted by Just Plain Hal
a resident of another community
on Aug 12, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Dear Dolores,

Oprah supports this law with a rational plan and oath:

REF: Web Link

Why not a Diablo View that asked for a similar "no phone" pledge from our corridor's drivers. Most of us have been subjected to distracted drivers that are on the phone and not engaged in driving rationally. Most of us who have been those drivers know when we have had a close call created by use of the phone.

Write well, wordsmith,

Hal/SeediestEYE

Posted by Derek
on Aug 12, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Now here's a headline that truly warms my black heart.
Given that these fools have been proven in repeated studies to pose essentially the same danger as a drunk, can't we up the fine by say.... ten-fold? Maybe a little mandatory jail time for the second offense? Perhaps some weekend duty picking up trash along 680, wearing bright orange jumpsuits emblazoned with the words "BLAH BLAH", so that we may ridicule them as we speed past?

About six months ago, I'm on Camino Ramon going southbound near the KinderCare/Montessori pre-schools. Ahead of me is a new silver Mercedes van pulling to the side, though of course there isn't much shoulder here. As I get close to this van in my wimpy Japanese compact, the dingbat driver (a blonde - coincidence? - I think not) decides to pull a screaming U-turn. I darn near splattered into the driver's side of her ego-ride. Does she even notice? Not a whit. Then, in my rear view mirror, I see this wetbrain do it a second time, and now she's going back southbound again, coming up behind me. Somehow, she manages to catch up; apparently I had forgotten to feed the rodents powering my little 2-liter. She pulls alongside at the Greenbrook overcrossing light. I yell some choice obscenities at her, and again, she is utterly oblivious to her surroundings - or the guy next to her that's ready to take that cell phone out of her hand and do something I can't mention in a family paper.
But I'm sure all of you have fun stories too, eh?

Posted by cardinal
a resident of Diablo
on Aug 13, 2010 at 11:04 am

Well, I, for one, am shocked ... SHocked! at conservative Danvillains' embrace of this incursion on our freedoms (of Speech, no less) by the nanny state!

Where's the outrage? Where are the Tea Parties? Haven't we Had ENough?!

I think the way to respond to this latest governmental affront, other than tossing your iPhone into the Boston Harbor, is to drive with your left hand to your ear every time you see a cop. This will divert their efforts to stopping drivers whose ears itch, and eventually they will be forced to bend to the popular will and cease this jackbooted treading on our sacred Rights as citizens of this great land.