Remembering Virgie Jones: Alamo's historian, author, ambassador and friend

Original post made on Aug 25, 2010

Virginia V. Jones, known as "Virgie," died Aug. 16 at the age of 92. Mrs. Jones was born in Raymond, Wash. on Nov. 26, 1917. She grew up in Berkeley, and was introduced to Alamo in the spring of 1937 by her fiancÚ and future husband, Al Jones. It was love at first sight - for both ... Al and Alamo.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 4:31 PM

Posted by jeb
on Aug 25, 2010 at 8:22 am

As a nearby neighbor, Virgie, You will be greatly missed. My best to the family.

Posted by jrm
a resident of Vista Grande Elementary School
on Aug 28, 2010 at 10:10 pm

jrm is a registered user.

I never met her but I am very grateful for her books on local history, my goodness, they are a treasure and a great legacy to her and her love of the Jones family. I just checked one out at the library last month. RIP Mrs. Jones and I am glad you are resting with your beloved husband once again...
With Respect-
JRM

Posted by Hal Bailey
on Aug 29, 2010 at 9:12 am

Dear Dolores,

Last evening, at a birthday celebration, I had an opportunity to tell a member of Virgie's family of the appreciation of neighborhoods for the guidance she and her family provided neighborhood reps in profiling the history of each Alamo region neighborhood. In response, he noted the many thanks Virgie's family is receiving in her memory.

In this exchange there is a respectful kindness that celebrates Virgie's life and contributions to Alamo. It is appreciated.

halbailey@yahoo.com

Posted by Rose Strohmaier
on Oct 14, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Virgie god bless you & may you rest in peace..

Posted by margie reynolds
a resident of another community
on Feb 6, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I live in Clayton and am the granddaughter in law of Carmen Frank who was born in 1918 in Hayward, married George Frank a founding family member of Clayton and died here in 2009. We have recently had to take care of all her belongings and in it was a book signed personaly by Virgie and given to Carmen in what seems like a personal gift. Its strange I noticed this for there was so much to go through, we liquiated the books in a couple of swoops here and there but this book was left with a couple others after the smoke cleared. I had time then to open it and see the note Virgie had left in it for Carmen and was so thankful it hadn't gone along with the rest. Having become a member of this family with their interest in this town of Clayton and their role in its history I also can appreciate this tie to a place. I appreciate Virgie's want to pass along the history of her family and others who make up the background of a location and the progress to become what it is today and also the work it took to do so in a interesting and detailed way correctly. She sounds like she was a women who loved and was loved much and I know her family and all who knew her will miss her forever. I will always treasure her book.