Original post made by Treebeard, Danville, on Sep 16, 2010

One of us is a retired educator so we get mail from the California Teachers Association on a regular basis. This is especially valuable during the election season because the CTA lists its recommended candidates and how to vote on the various ballot propositions.

I say it's valuable because we VOTE THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT THE CTA WANTS!!

They have never failed us in deciding how to cast our ballots. Whatever they want, we don't. Whatever candidate they want in office, we don't. Whatever proposition they want, we don't.

This a big thank-you to the CTA. You are a perfect windsock of how not to vote.

Posted by Steve
on Sep 17, 2010 at 6:40 am

Treebeard,

I was getting ready to load up and let you have it until I got to your 2nd paragraph and it made me smile. I utilize very similar means of establishing right and wrong. As a child my Mom would tell us what was good and bad. Those fundamental values should still be applied today. The CTA is nuts in every aspect of education. My mom would say they are bad. We would be better served privatizing all schools and using a voucher system so parents could select the best schools for their kids. Save a ton of money and improve schools.

Posted by Jim
on Sep 17, 2010 at 7:59 am

Steve, my initial reaction EXACTLY. When I'm on the fence about an issue, I look to what Barbara Lee, George Miller, Torlakson and the rest of the Bay Area gang are supporting .... I vote the opposite. We all have our own baromters.

The CTA has been ripping off its members for decades. If the ultimate objective is to provide quality education for the state's children, they should stand up and support getting rid of incompetent teachers & support a system that rates employees fairly & objectively ... and its members live with the consquences.

Any other business that has the failure rate (student dropouts) as we have would have been liquidated.

No accountability ... No consequences. When School Boards (& Fire District Boards) are stacked with members of their own, what does one expect? We need to take our government back ... one-by-one.

Posted by Dave
on Sep 17, 2010 at 8:10 am

Yes, using the CTA/NEA as a guideline for what to vote against is a viable measure, The ACLU provides another guideline. What they want is generally not very good for us either.

The same is true for Jerry McNerney our local loser in Congress who flies the Pelosi Flag of sheer incompetence

Posted by Citizen Paine
on Sep 17, 2010 at 10:26 am

Those who rail against the ACLU really don't comprehend the debt that every freedom-loving American owes to that organization. They are surest, most resolute guardians of the First Amendment, which itself contains the bedrock principles of liberty and limited government on which this society was founded.

I keep them in my prayers, and I certainly pay attention to their voice of sanity in an increasingly cxrazy world.

Posted by Tony
a resident of Diablo
on Sep 17, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Treebeard, I could not possibly agree with you more! Public Employee Unions have bankrupted this state and the CTA in particular has harmed education. They are there to protect the weakest. California is controlled by these unions which has resulted in bloated pensions which the state and thus taxpayers cannot afford. The result, high unemployment which will not come down in the current political climate. Let us hope for a change in November.

Posted by American
on Sep 17, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Treebird: I absolutely agree with you 100%...Glad to see so many voters are finally seeing thru the smoke and mirrors of the liberal special interest unions and will vote common sense in the upcoming elections.

Posted by Sadie
on Sep 19, 2010 at 7:41 am

Seeing comments like all of these restores my hope for this community and our country. The Teachers Union has a very liberal agenda that has nothing to do with the "3 R's" of education. Thanks for making my day a little more hopeful, knowing there are like- minded folks out there!