John Lane, what are you?

Original post made by Rick Pshaw, Danville, on Sep 19, 2010

John Lane is running for a seat on the SRV School Board. In another publication he describes his position at CSU East Bay as "a Special Projects Manager." In a different article in the same publication, his title is "program director" At CSU East Bay. Which one should we believe, Mr Lane?

These titles sound suspiciously contrived. And why do I say that? Because the CSU East Bay website gives his title as "Management Intern."
Is this a case of title exaggeration? Here's the CSU website:

Web Link

John Lane is the person who is costing the SRV School District $50,000. If he weren't running the district wouldn't have to spend that money to pay for its share of the election.

Posted by Hal
a resident of another community
on Sep 19, 2010 at 8:16 am

Dear Dolores,

In our professional careers we use terms to describe our work. You are a journalist and your job title is Managing Editor. John Lane has similar titles at California State University East Bay for his work in project management.

If readers wish to research John, Rachel and others for their occupation and title as part of qualifications for Trustee of SRVUSD, then the focus should be on the specifics of the activities that relate to SRVUSD Board operations and decisions. John has a professional management education with current experience in operations, projects and budgets for a major educational institution.

Let's ask readers for what qualifications they want in trustees and have the candidates address those qualifications in their background.

Anyone?

halbailey@yahoo.com

Posted by American
on Sep 19, 2010 at 8:38 am

Rick: Thank you for providing this information on candidate John Lane. If we can not trust a candidate to at least be honest with his job title and experience, than we certainly can not trust them to run our school board. He also seems much too young to be in this important position. Hopefully with time and experience, he will learn the importance of honesty if he desires a position of public trust. I will not vote for him.

Posted by Hal
a resident of another community
on Sep 19, 2010 at 10:15 am

Dear Dolores,

Let me provide advisory to Gina and sponsored Forum pseudonyms. According to SRVUSD neighborhoods e-exchanges, any complaint about the cost of the election is seen as anti-voter. Today's articles on multi-million dollar legal settlements authorized by the current SRVUSD board makes the $50,000 cost of an election critical to district voters that wish to express their objection to such legal confrontations.

Where slates of candidates worked for Joan Buchanan and other highly respected trustees, the current slate is seen as a politically-back effort sponsored by special political interests in our corridor. The more John Lane is attacked, the more it appears as political "swift boating" authored by SRVUSD incumbents, political special interests and SRVUSD's new senior administrators.

Voters are clearly remembering EMCEB's role in the Swift Boating of Guy Houston in May/June 2008 that led to the re-election of a very unpopular supervisor.

Gina might wish to rethink the purpose of this exchange.

halbailey@yahoo.com

Posted by John Lane
on Sep 19, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I am a Special Projects Manager at CSU East Bay and have been for the past 3 years. I have been involved in a number of projects ranging from:
• Creating a more efficient identification process called the One Card System
• Working with trade unions, students and administrators in creating University Hill a renovation project that is becoming the new marquee of CSUEB
• Helping the University move to Division II athletics
I am very proud of my work and the institution I belong too…I am sorry if a publication misrepresented my title.

Posted by Anne Q.
on Sep 19, 2010 at 1:58 pm

It is adminrable that John Lane clarified his employment credientials even though he could certainly stand and run on his own merits. In this day and age of instant information, there is no way any candidate (or anyone for that matter) can hide the truth. And one comments stated that he is "to young to be in this important p;osition"...what a naive and discriminatory comment. If we "always do what we always did..we'll always get what we always got". I welcome and encourage our younger generation (and I'm in the senior category) to get into politics, bring their inovations and ideas and help all of us improve our schools, community and country. I intend to support and vote for John Lane.

Posted by Debbie L
on Sep 19, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Rick Pshaw - Good work finding the inconsistencies. And John Lane - thank you for setting the record straight. Rick - I just happened to read your comments on Denise Jennison as well and I agree -- I wasn't impressed that she would be doing anything for our town. I read up and am very pleased with John Lane and plan to vote for him. Among other things, I see him as the catalyst for new ideas to save money without sacrificing the quality of education in our schools. Don't you feel like his motivation is most sincere since he doesn't even have children in the system? I'm for John!

Posted by jrm
a resident of Vista Grande Elementary School
on Sep 19, 2010 at 3:39 pm

jrm is a registered user.

Rickshaw is interesting....that's all I can say....

Posted by John Sr.
on Sep 19, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I've known John for all his life and I can assure you he's no liar. I'm proud to say he manages money well, graduating from college with no debt while working his way through shows his ability to delay gratification and he's gone on 4 mission trips, which I thinks shows his heart is in the right place. 25 sounds young, I agree, but his soul is much older.

It will be a miracle if John wins over 3 candidates pooling their efforts against him but he's got my vote not just because I'm his father but I know if he wins, the school district will be better for it.

Posted by Will Doerlich
on Sep 19, 2010 at 4:46 pm

It is interesting that at all levels of our political process there is not an emphasis on issues – important issues affecting our communities, our families, our children, and our future – but rather on personalities, innuendo, and assertions that are taken for fact whether there is any substance to the assertion or not.

First on a personal level – I have known John Lane for over 10 years and know him to be a man of integrity, honesty, focus, and faith. I have been consulted with publications in my professional life and have prepared and stated my opinion for the articles only to see my thoughts misrepresented. This is not uncommon. So to make such a sweeping accusation against a man without asking the question is a bit presumptuous and not useful criticism or analysis.

Two of the other three candidates I count as friends & colleagues and know them to be sincere and outspoken in their dedication and service to the community. The fourth candidate I have recently met and sense a similar desire to serve our community.

I support John Lane for the School Board not as a negative to the other candidates but in a positive manner. To paraphrase President (then Candidate) Reagan, do not let the issue of age enter into this election race. We should not neglect the other candidates because they are too old and cannot possibly understand (or remember) what the issues and needs of a 21st century student or school system are!

There are three seats available for the School Board. I believe John Lane will ably and admirably fulfill the duties & commission in one of them.

Now let's talk issues and solutions… we will all be better served in that manner.

Posted by Laura
on Sep 19, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I'm glad to know they're talking about you John. You're making quite an impression being only 25 years old. You've accomplished more in your years than some people have in their lifetime.

Education has always been a top priority with you and I think it's great that you want to give back to our community as a school board member. You know you've got my vote!

Mom

Posted by Hal
a resident of another community
on Sep 19, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Dear Dolores,

All candidates have responded with earnest respect for the voters and full disclosure to support voters' decisions. Simply, every voter in SRVUSD should know that the four candidates are working fully to inform every voter of their positions, commitments and capabilities.

I personally enjoyed the personal respect among candidates and their commitment to the voters.

May we have your readers ask their questions and seek their answers as a function of this exchange?

Anyone?

halbailey@yahoo.com

Posted by American
on Sep 19, 2010 at 7:40 pm

John Lane: You are 25 years old, you have no children in our district, and I assume you are also not a property tax payer at your young age. It is admirable that you want to help our school district. But at 25 years old, you clearly do not have the wisdom that comes with life experiences to serve on our school board. Why not volunteer as a big brother, tudor at needs children, or do something else that would help our district, rather than running for school board? In time, with life experiences, you may be a very good candidate for school board. But until you have children, until you start paying property taxes, and until you have life experiences, the school board is beyond your capabilities. Good luck in the future, but in good conscience I can not vote for someone lacking the required life experiences to serve on as important as a job as our school board.

Posted by jrm
a resident of Vista Grande Elementary School
on Sep 19, 2010 at 9:06 pm

jrm is a registered user.

John Lane....do not be dismayed by "American" and his like...there has been no public forums for us to get to know you so far but "American" and "Rickshaw" are already attacking you...to make the man called "American" feel better would you agree to never, ever allow a Commie like Angela Davis to be exposed to our intellectually vulnerable youth? We don't want another Athenian situation on our hands...those kids ran out of the assembly with a hammer and a sickle in their arms.

Posted by Julius Kahn III
on Sep 19, 2010 at 10:58 pm

I have known John D.Lane for 15 years, his honesty and integrety in my opinion,is beyond reproach. I aman attorney and have practiced law in the Bay Area for almost 50 (since Jan 1961) years, I have always found that an intellectually honest person would check the authenticity of web postings when relying on them to assert that another person, has made a false or an inaccurate statement, particularly a candidate for public office. I'm sure that had adequate investigation been made the truth would have confirmed John Lane's statement relative to his work experience. As for candidate's age and "life experience", John has for several years been a mentor for undergraduate college students.That I know as a fact. John was a scholarship recipient from a private foundation of which I serve as one of the trustees. I have knowledge of his activities and academic accomplishments.
Since when have a few elitist members of the community had the audacity to criticize any citizen for being a candidate for any office. This is still the United States of America and in my opinion any citizen regardless of their age, that steps forward and is willing to take on the responsibity to run and hold public office should be applauded. It appears to me from the tenor of the few negative comments that a "backroom deal" has been made between the current members of the School Board and their personal selection of a candidate who they think should be on the Board and not who the voters would necessarily want to elect.
It is a specious arguement that one must be a property owner in order to be qualified as a member of a school board,or that you need to have children. If those are someones idea of qualifications for being a school board member, God help us and our schools. Oops, sorry I forgot, God isn't allowed in our schools either. Frankly, I believe that a candidates analytic ability, his experience in the academic and/or business community along with innovative and new approaches to our public education system are the criteria upon which to elect a member of the School Board in order keep our schools at the top in the coming years. In my opinion John D. Lane is the right person for the job.

Posted by Pamela J.
on Sep 19, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Mr. Pshaw, can you please tell me what you do for a living to stand up here on this platform and attempt to throw this seemingly bright energtic and responsible young man under the bus? I welcome change from these young people.... Isn't that what the majority voted into the white house? Change? why shouldn't John D. Lane ( by the way, that's his name) recieve the same chance?

Posted by Ashley
on Sep 20, 2010 at 7:04 am

I've known John Lane for a long time, and if there's one thing you cannot attack about him, it's his character. If we could focus on the issues facing the school district and which candidates' ideas and plans will best address those issues, we'd probably have a better school board.

Posted by Discouraged Parent
on Sep 20, 2010 at 7:05 am

I welcome an opportunity to vote for John Lane. I have found, in personal conversations with the current board members, that they were merely rubber-stamping decisions made by the district administration. I intend to vote for John and Denise. I will not vote for Rachel Hurd for any public office.

Posted by American
on Sep 20, 2010 at 9:04 am

After reviewing all the comments on this blog, and sensing the passion many members of our community have for John Lane, perhaps I was unfair to judge him solely on his young age. I do think life experiences are very important, and I do think having children in our district, and being a property tax payer, are also important bench marks. However, I am open minded(stop laughing JRM), and will reconsider my prior opinions, if Mr. Lane can convince me that he is truly the right person for our school board.

To that end, I would like to know where Mr. Lane stands on the following issues:
(1) Do you support another parcel tax?
(2) Are you prepared to put the students in our district first, over the interest of the teachers union?
(3) There has been talk of a year round school year, which I oppose, and where do you stand on that issue?
(4) What is the main difference between you and the other candidates that makes you a better candidate for our school board?
(5) What is the greatest obstacle facing our school district?
(6) What is your plan to overcome the greatest obstacle facing our school district?
(7) I believe school sport programs are essential for the learning process, for school spirit, and for teaching life lessons of team work and commitment and responsibility. Are you prepared to stand up and fight any challenges to cut our school sport programs?
(8) Do you honestly believe you have had enough life experiences to be ready for this position?

Thanks, and I will keep an open mind, and see if you are truly ready now for this very important position.

Posted by John D. Lane IV
on Sep 20, 2010 at 11:38 am

Age alone should not be a criterion to run for a political office. There are many citizens that hold an elected office or managerial position who are under the age of 25 and doing a great job around the United States.
Although I don't have a mortgage (or any debt) I have paid taxes since I was 16 and started my own company providing jobs for students in the San Ramon Valley. I may not pay property taxes but I do value those residents that do, whether they have children or not. We have a great school system and local government but both could be run more efficiently and in these difficult economic times I do not believe in raising taxes to fill budget shortfalls. We have taxed our citizens enough. While in office I will not vote to raise them any further.
I am a mentor and big brother of students in high school and college from California high to CSU East Bay and UC Berkeley. My goal within our district is to be a positive role model for our STUDENTS. If they stay focused and work hard they can accomplish everything they set their mind too as I have.
I am a proponent of Students First. I know from talking with many students that they are not included enough in conversations that affect their development. Believe it or not I know that they have great ideas that will help take our district to the next level. When I am elected I will ensure that students, teachers, parents, and administrators collaborate together on issues that affect curriculum in our district.
My skill set will allow me to serve our district well.

Posted by American
on Sep 20, 2010 at 11:51 am

Mr.Lane: Thank you for your response. I like your opinions, which I think answered my questions #1, #2, and #8. However, you have not answered #3 thru #7. What are your thoughts on #3 thru #7?

Thank you.

Posted by John D. Lane IV
on Sep 20, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Thank you "American resident of Danville" for posting the questions on the issues. I will submit the rest of my answers shortly (after work)...

I encourage all residents in the area to find me on Facebook under "John D. Lane 4 School Board." I have created a few discussion topics that will address many questions and also start in creating the dialogue that I am talking about between students, parents, teachers, administrators and the tax payer. Please feel free to post your comments/questions there as well!

Posted by Rick
on Sep 20, 2010 at 2:28 pm

American,a resident of the Danville neighborhood...what great questions to ask of John. And to John...Great answers and the open willingness to address these issue in such a timely manner. I wonder if "American" would care to pose these same questions to the other candidates? Perhaps,"American should get more involved in this election and organize a "Public Forum" to put all the candidates before the voters so that we can have a real discussion rather that petty snipes at a young man who "will" make a difference.

Posted by John D. Lane IV
on Sep 21, 2010 at 10:55 am

Thank you "American resident of Danville" for posting your questions regarding the issues. Here are the rest of my answers.

(3)In order to stay competitive in the future both domestically and internationally we will have to consider switching to a year round system or a longer school year because this will allow the students to remain focused throughout the year and progress rapidly through expanded curriculum without having to be re-taught information from the previous year. When compared to other high performing nations we rank near the bottom in many categories including math and science. This is unacceptable for a nation that spends so much per student.
Web Link
(4) Times are changing and the board should reflect the future of education. I am not a parent, teacher, nor between the age of 35 to 55 and have yet to join the PTA. But, I did attend K-12 here in the San Ramon Valley graduating from California High School in 2003. I graduated debt-free from Cal State East Bay with a B.S. in Business Economics in 2007 and an MBA in 2010. I am a product of public education. It is important for young professionals to be represented in local politics. I have fresh ideas to inject into our school district to make it better than it already is.
(5) As a school board member maintaining solvency is my primary concern.
(6) Education will follow the trends of business. We need to prepare our students to interact with each other and the teachers in ways that will enhance their development in the new era of technology. It will be reasonable in the near future for students to have kindles or iPads instead of textbooks, communicate via web conferencing on school projects, or have the opportunity to interact with pen pals via the web (Skype) for foreign language lessons.
As a leading school district in the area we can leverage some of these fresh ideas to many of the strong Silicon Valley companies along with some of the large corporations we have in our own backyard.
Creating partnerships with these companies will also open doors for our students to secure internships in high school and possible very good careers after college as well.
(7) I was an athlete and understand the benefits of being on a team and learning how to work together in order to win as well as the friendships that are developed on and off the field as a result. I also have a healthy respect for the since of competition and the experiences gained from losing and then adjusting problems in order to win. But, my first priority is making sure our students are exceeding the standard in Math, Science, English and Writing. If we don't have the right programs or teachers that are qualified for these subjects than the success of our district will be in jeopardy.

Posted by new resident
on Sep 22, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Just want to clarify the issue that if John Lane would not have decided to run for one of the seats of the school board the district would have saved $50000, this is not true since the 3 incumbent had registered before John Lane did, thus the Registrar had to have them on the ballot and the school had to pay the share of $.

The second comment is direct to being young and not having experience. Just we need to remember that once we did not have experience but we acquired that through the other people who believed in us (first employer and those who came after that).

I have not read, as of today September 22 , where the other 3 candidates stand on the questions that American posted in here. I would like to read them and see where they stand on the issues.

to Mr. John Lane I applaude you to have the courage to run and keep your head high and I hope you succed in this.

Posted by Victoria C
on Oct 3, 2010 at 3:10 pm

This young man knocked on my door today and introduced himself as a candidate for the San Ramon Valley School Board. We're new to the area but he really seemed to have a passion for maintaining the spirit of competitive education in the valley. He's probably going to get both my husbands and my vote. Why is it I see signs with three names on it for the three positions available? Is there some "all for one, one for all" thing I'm missing out on? I've met John Lane for just a few minutes and I can tell he'd be a good director... young and virtuous. Who are the three musketeers or are they the three stooges and do we have to vote for all three if it turns out we only like one?

Posted by Julius Kahn III
on Oct 6, 2010 at 11:51 am

We(our entire country) have gotten into this economic mess because we elected individuals (from bottom to top) who had all these grand and glorious visions and plans to change our Federal, State and Local governmental systems without regard to cost or who would pay for it.Those of us that were around and had children in school 40-50 years ago recall that every time our politicians needed money for one of their "visions" they hit the home owner by increasing either the tax rate or the assessed valuation.Ergo we voted for Prop 13 that slowed that process.
We need fiscally responsible citizens to run for public office Partisan and non partisan. Being a visionary requires the intellectual capacity to operate within a budget and get the most for the taxpayers money. John D. Lane IV is young and has the ability as well as the intellectual and moral capacity to work within a budget and to focus on our countries most important asset--Our Children and Their Education. "Go John Go". Julius Kahn III, Esq.