Tea Party rally a bust.

Original post made by Chet on Oct 17, 2010

No crowds of thousands as they had expected and advertised. Here is the news from the rally. This was supposed to be a huge rally.

Republican politicians flocked to the Alameda County Fairgrounds this weekend to deliver an anti-government message to Tea Party activists.

A relatively subdued afternoon crowd of 200 people attended the all-day Golden State Rally for America 2010 in Pleasanton yesterday.

The tea party backed loser Harmer must be very sad.

Posted by American, a resident of Danville
on Oct 17, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Chet: Were you at the rally, and did you count the people who attended? I saw a story on the news and you could tell just from the video that there were thousands of people there. Do you know the difference between stating your opinions, and stating facts? I know the liberals like you have a really hard time distinguishing between the two.

Posted by Chet, a resident of San Ramon
on Oct 17, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I was not at the rally. I am just repeating what was reported in the press. Just the facts.

Posted by cardinal, a resident of Diablo
on Oct 17, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Based on the photos accompanying the mostly-positive review by a cub reporter in the cctimes, here Web Link, I'd say Chet has it about right.

The Comical has no coverage of it all that I could find via several search terms -- not surprising, I know, but if it had been impressive, they'd have had to be there.

It's remarkable that the CCT article does not contain any coverage of the attendance, but the pics all indicate "sparse" -- just a small cadre of angry old white folks, losing steam. BTW, in 16 photos, not one of the phantom opportunist, Mr. Harmer.

Not to be koi, but is it true that their animal mascot is the Carp? Web Link

Posted by Sherry, a resident of Danville
on Oct 17, 2010 at 5:33 pm

American, my neighbor (a huge Harmer fan) attended and said it was a major disappointment in terms of numbers. I think the reports you saw were likely from April which she said was better publicized. I think most are trying to distance themselves from the radical tea partiers - they give even the most conservative types a bad name.

I'm not sure how I'm voting, however. I don't like either candidate! The fact that Harmer doesn't live in the district does influence my thoughts though.

Posted by American, a resident of Danville
on Oct 17, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Sherry:If you are truly going to base your vote only on the fact that Harmer has not resided in the district as long as McNerney has, how do you feel about Hilary Clinton getting elected to the senate in New York where she never resided, and liberal Pete Stark getting elected again and again to allegedly represent Hayward when he claimed his residency was in New York to get a tax rebate and does not reside in CA? If you do not want to vote for Harmer because you disagree with him on the issues, I understand that. But do not claim it has anything to do with how long he has resided here, if you are not bothered by Hilary and Pete Stark, et al.

Posted by Rick Pshaw, a resident of Danville
on Oct 17, 2010 at 9:24 pm

The tea party folks were all out walking precincts to get rid of tax-and-spend liberals.

Oh by the way, McNereny voted for ObamaCare.

Posted by Sherry, a resident of Danville
on Oct 18, 2010 at 9:32 am

American, once again you are your own worst enemy. Where did I say I would base my vote on where Harmer lived? Many things influence my decisions when voting, including the demeanor of those that support the candidate. This reminds me of when you accused jrm of only being against Harmer because of his religious affiliation. These actions only serve to make you appear reactionary and over zealous.

Posted by American, a resident of Danville
on Oct 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Sherry: You noted You "were not sure how you are voting", and "you don't like either candidate!", and then noted that you Harmer's residency does influence your thoughts. The ONLY thing you noted that influenced your thought were his residency. You mentioned absolutely nothing else. Doesn't that lead to the conclusion that residency issues were the deciding factor, since you did not mention anything else that was influencing you? I think you knew all along you were voting for McNerney, and this was just your attempt to look obejctive and try to sway people with the residency issue. By the way, you never responded about Hillary Clinton and Pete Stark's residency issues, wonder why?

Posted by MyTwoCents, a resident of San Ramon
on Oct 18, 2010 at 5:23 pm

There is a false premise here -- that voters are somehow not allowed to be uncomfortable with some newcomer who's clearly a serial candidate -- because Hillary Clinton was elected in NY?

I'm sorry, but I don't live in NY, nor in any other district, and I think my Rep ought to know my kinds of concerns, represent them and be accessible when I have an issue. McNerney is all that.

Your guy is running in his third separate district in two different states, and he seems to be waging a stealth campaign -- not reaching out to general voters and apparently appearing only in "friendly" venues -- like Saturday's geezerfest at the Fairgrounds.

So yes, indeedy -- I worry about this guy Harmer, whom I believe is counting on the general discontent of the electorate to elect him without even knowing what he stands-for. From what I have been able to discover, he's a Lot more conservative than most in this District, his past employment as a collection agent for a credit card company gives me no comfort, and I have a very healthy distrust of anybody whose primary credential is Ambition.

Posted by American, a resident of Danville
on Oct 18, 2010 at 5:59 pm

"My Two Cents": "Geezerfest"? Really? Those "Geezers" that you reference fought in wars for their country so you liberals could have your right of free speech, even when your opinions are so incredibly misguided. Your problems with credit card companies suggest you are one of these people who spent money you did not have, just like McNerney and the other liberals have, and do not know how to live within your means. Of course, you would have a problem with the Tea Party convention who actually believes individuals and our country should live within our means.

Posted by MyTwoCents, a resident of San Ramon
on Oct 18, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Rule 2 in the Tea Party Book of Politiquette: If you can't attack the message, savage the messenger!

Rule 2a: ... or try to change the subject.

Rule 2b: ... with a sense of palpable OUTRAGE! VOLUME COUNTS!!

BTW, which Geezers are you referring-to, by name, rank and serial number? And do you really wanna cast your lot with the credit card Bosses? I fear you haven't been paying attention.

Posted by JRM, a resident of Vista Grande Elementary School
on Oct 19, 2010 at 11:47 am

JRM is a registered user.

I think American's comments speak for themselves, and it is a mirror into the psyche of the tea party ethos. If anyone takes the time to google David Harmer you will find extensive information about his political career (lack of, that is) repeated failed campaigns in Utah and California, and numerous links to past speeches and articles he has written. Read for yourself and see if he represents your prevailing views of the world in 2010. Lastly, yes I am indeed always negative on carpetbagger candidates from outside the district in which they are running, regardless of which party they are members of. That is just my personal bias, and yes, I know such political effort is legal and constitutional it just doesn't pass muster with me.

Posted by askidoo, a resident of Alamo
on Oct 26, 2010 at 8:28 pm

So jrm were you also against Garamendi? A serial democratic politician in California and a resident outside of the boundaries of the district he ran for (but promised to move)? A serial incumbent of 30 years who has had a lot to do with the fiscal problems of California and decisionmaking which caused many of the problems?

Interesting in these comments how demeaned the tea party are. To me they are a loose group coming together with similar ideals centering around fiscal responsibility - hardly radical. And from most of the media the observation, including looking over these posts, is that they have been savaged and maligned and mercilessly and wrongly and deliberately labeled.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.