Hap Magee Park Committee seeks new member

Original post made on Oct 26, 2010

Hap Magee Park Committee is looking for a new member and applications being accepted until Nov. 3 for the fifth position on the committee. Area residents with an interest in parks and recreation services are urged to apply. The five-member committee is comprised of two members each from the Alamo Municipal Advisory Council (MAC) and the Danville Parks and Leisure Services Commission. Prospective members should have a demonstrated interest in parks and recreation matters. Applications are available online at www.danville.ca.gov and the deadline is Nov. 3, with interviews on Nov. 30. To apply or more information, contact Assistant Town Manager Marcia Somers at 314-3334 or msomers@danville.ca.gov.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, October 25, 2010, 11:27 AM

Posted by the dogfather
on Oct 26, 2010 at 8:06 am

I am guessing that pretty good economics could be generated for putting some brand of the new artificial turf products in the dog park. It has become a victim of its own success, as hundreds of PEOPLE get together there, with their pups, on a daily basis.

'Baggers, please note that I am calling for greater efficiency in spending on an existing park service, and Not new spending.

If Parks & Rec wants to do such a study, I'd be very glad to volunteer -- regular park users would know who I am/where to find me.

Posted by catdaddy
on Oct 26, 2010 at 8:32 am

You sound like a good candidate for the committee.

Posted by the dogfather
on Oct 26, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Nah -- I'd be one of those single-issue types. I really don't care much about the rest of the park, but I do loves me that canine corral!

By the time you pay for all that annual reseeding/resodding, as well as mowing, water, fertilizer etc., you could pay for artificial turf -- and it could be open year-round.

I assume some process like that has gone into the astro-turfing of the local HS football fields.

(Truth be known, I Really think the town planners missed a bet when they didn't require that Danvillain who built his un-permitted baseball field-of-schemes on Alamo Ridge to bring that turf down to the dog park.)

Posted by jrm
a resident of Vista Grande Elementary School
on Oct 26, 2010 at 5:48 pm

jrm is a registered user.

Interesting comment about the condition of the dogpark...I do not own a dog currently (have in the past) and I recently took an out of town guest to a picnic at Hap Magee and we strolled over to the dog park and I immediately noticed the rampant dust and disrupted sod as a result of all the rambunctious play intended for the lucky canines. This is something to look into. Not sure if it is a sanitary solution nor a durable one but perhaps now that dog parks are becoming more common there is a solution out there.

Posted by hal
a resident of another community
on Oct 29, 2010 at 7:15 am

Dear Dolores,

When Emily returns, she might consider extending this news release to what the majority wants at Hap Magee. As the LAFCO report described, Hap Magee Ranch Park, like other parks in our region, is used by a small minority of residents. The dog park and children's play yard are the attraction for dog lovers and mother's groups, but little attraction exists for others.

Let's ask your readers for what would make them "go to the park?"

halbailey@yahoo.com

Posted by jrm
a resident of Vista Grande Elementary School
on Oct 29, 2010 at 10:52 am

jrm is a registered user.

Hap Magee park is a little known gem...tucked away from view, I'll bet most folks on the East side of town don't even know it is there. It is one of my favorite places for a quiet picnic....bring your beach chairs and spread out under the huge old oak tree, or lunch on the charming white cuppola/bandstand. The teak benches along the pathways are perfectly situated to give one either a sunny or shady exposure. I would suggest bocce ball courts be put in, a fun family sport enjoyed by all ages.