Art helps to tell tales

Original post made on Nov 9, 2010

Check out the latest exhibit at Village Theatre Art Gallery -- "Once Upon a Book: The Fine Art of Children's Book Illustration" -- and, if you're a kid, be sure to show up Saturday to create your own dot painting.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, November 8, 2010, 4:22 PM

Posted by KDavidson
on Nov 9, 2010 at 8:49 am

"She's also brainstorming ways to draw people from popular Hartz Avenue to visit the art gallery, which is at 233 Front St., down the street from the library. It shares a parking lot with Bridges restaurant."

We have 13 established and extemely talented artists who work within walking distance to the village art gallery, next to Bridges. Our colony is located on 524 Hartz Avenue, on the 2nd floor.
We've all been curious and strangely unsettled to how an art gallery within spitting distance to 13 local,regional, and national artists has never come over to even look at the work (based on the conversations with other artists).

These artists have large followings and client bases. To be honest, the gallery sits and is perceived as almost a mirrage to all the local artists I know.
I'd love to introduce you to our colony artists if you'd ever like to stop by. To me, it would be an obvious partnership to connect with your neibhors, who happen to be artists.
Kevin Davidson

Posted by Leslie
on Nov 9, 2010 at 11:00 am

Ditto, from one of the "13 forgotten artists". I am at a loss to explain why the Town of Danville does not support the the local artists.

Posted by Kdavidson
on Nov 9, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I'm not trying to be negative toward the gallery in anyway. I'd like to involve them in our studios. I hope we can meet with the new coordinator, Ann, and form an alliance.
Kevin

Posted by dolores ciardelli
editor of Danville Express
on Nov 9, 2010 at 3:55 pm

dolores ciardelli is a registered user.

Kevin,
That's great! I just want to point out that the coordinator's name is Amy Miller -- it was a typo when I put "Ann."

Dolores

Posted by Loucy DeAtley
on Nov 9, 2010 at 4:24 pm

For the twenty-plus years of having lived and volunteered in Danville, I find that the Town reacts favorably to pro-active artists and arts organizations. They welcome community members who contact them, approach the Arts or Parks and Leisure Services Commissions with ideas that involve the community in the Arts. Trish Grame, a member of the Arts Commission, a vibrant visual artist herself, welcomes contact and input, and served on the oversight committee that interviewed community members for the gallery.
I know that Town staff and Commission members welcome broad participation. Call for a meeting or e-mail them with your ideas. The Town Council and staff certainly supported the DACA Gallery, a non-profit art gallery run by the Danville Area Cultural Alliance for over 17 years, Role Players Ensemble Theate, ADAS and Art in the Park, and many others.
So meet this gallery director, volunteer there and share your interests.

Posted by John Barry
on Nov 11, 2010 at 8:51 am

In response to Loucy DeAtley, my understanding is that the town in the end did not support DACA, and the organization withered, although I believe there were extenuating circumstances related to its demise. I joined DACA just as it was biting the dust.

As to the Village Theater Gallery, I and a colleague specifically discussed with and actively pitched to the gallery's manager at the time, the gallery's mounting a exhibit of work by local artists in the studio directly behind the gallery. We got a peremptory brush-off.

Posted by Leslie
on Nov 11, 2010 at 11:21 am

When I moved to Danville 12 years ago Anne Waters and I co-chaired the first "Art in the Park" put on by ADAS. We spent over a year putting it together with the help of the Town. There was no time to be artists, all our energy was focused on the details and the last minute contingecys that inevitably come up when putting together any event. We were happy to help and greatly appreciated the support of The Town of Danville. Many of the artists that reside locally have commited time and energy to promotion of the arts.