Cal High grad arrested for attempted murder, found on I-680

Original post made on Feb 10, 2011

At approximately 12:06 p.m. the San Ramon Police Department responded to the report of an assault with a deadly weapon at a residence in Canyon Creek apartments. Enrique De La Campa entered the residence of his former girlfriend and allegedly stabbed a male guest numerous times.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, February 10, 2011, 4:56 PM

Posted by Bob K
on Feb 10, 2011 at 6:37 pm

In hindsite it probably would have been easier to just get a new chick.

Posted by Ralph B
on Feb 11, 2011 at 8:07 am

Guess this ruins his chanced to become a fire fighter.

Posted by Jim mc daniels
on Feb 11, 2011 at 9:13 am

He can still be a firefighter. Based on his last name he will get preferential treatment and fill an affirmative action slot over more qualified candidates with no arrest record.

Posted by Jessica Lipsky
on Feb 11, 2011 at 10:09 am

Jim -

I think it's incredibly unfair to assume that De La Campa will get preferential treatment because of his last name. I'd like to think that our public offices aren't stocked with criminals who were ushered in because they are minorities.

I'd invite you to do the research to find out the criminal backgrounds of our public officials. Tell me if you find anything interesting.

Jessica Lipsky
Editor

Posted by psmacintosh
on Feb 11, 2011 at 10:39 am

Well, I've heard from over 3 East Bay firemen that there definitely is "preferential treatment" policies--in terms of advancement opportunities.
One retired fireman told me that a young, white guy has almost no chance of being admitted in nowadays, that he might as well not even apply--find some other field.
And one other recent applicant told me that he was using his mother's maiden name (Hispanic, I think), instead of his own, to gain an advantage in getting admitted in.
So "reverse discrimination" methods are alive and well!
As for "criminal records" getting in, that I don't know.

Posted by Thomas
on Feb 11, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Nice Jessica - I like an editor with spunk!

I think it is a far cry to go from affirmative action policies that one may feel are unfair, to assuming that criminal history will be overlooked simply because of an ethnic surname.

Posted by Mike
a resident of Walnut Creek
on Feb 12, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Very sad!

Posted by Fire In Jim's Hole
on Feb 14, 2011 at 9:37 am

Jim and PS,

Why don't you tell that to all the young white firemen down at the station, and to their Latino, black, whatever minority friends and colleagues and see what they have to say about it?

Great choice of articles to get this topic going, by the way...

Posted by Louise
on Feb 15, 2011 at 9:33 am

Jessica- what good does it do to tell us this happened hat 12:06 pm unless we know what day it occurred? KNowing the time could be useful depending on the story, but not unless we know what day! I may have been driving by, seen something etc... The reason I mention it, is I notice this frequently in reporting- not always your stories but others as well- and I find it irritating! (Although not as irritating as some of the comments made in stories like this, thanks for putting Jim in his place! :) )

Posted by Peace
on Feb 16, 2011 at 10:49 pm

What does a person's educational background, race, or ethnicity have to do with the fact that someone was emotionally unstable? He is young and still has a lot to learn about controlling himself and his emotions. It's too bad he will now most likely be learning the hard way. Also, as far as I know, anyone is capable of committing a crime, no matter where they came from. I don't agree with how he handled this situation, I just hope everyone involved finds some sort of peace.