Borders files for bankruptcy, will close San Ramon store

Original post made on Feb 17, 2011

Borders Group announced today that it will close 12 Bay Area book stores, including its San Ramon location. The closures were announced as part of the company's reorganization while in Chapter 11.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, February 16, 2011, 2:06 PM

Posted by gary
on Feb 17, 2011 at 8:38 am

As a voracious reader,one of my life's pleasures is to walk around a bookstore, perusing the titles and various choices, and buy books. I am with those that prefer to see and "feel" a book in person vs. buying over the internet. To hear Borders closing so many stores, including the 2 closest to me, enrages me, saddens me, and makes me wonder how many other "joys' we have will be literally ruined by the internet.I embrace technology and use it in my business, but it's not all wonderful, and this is one reason why.

I hope Banes & Noble can hang on, they'll be the only game in town if you want to go to a big book store. How about the "little guys" book stores, if there are many left -- how does this bode for them? This is NOT a story with a happy ending.

Posted by Doug peters
on Feb 17, 2011 at 9:28 am

Maybe the messiah can throw some stimulus $ at the problem....After he completes walking on water. Trickle down poverty---there is no faith in this child's economy "plan."

Posted by klat_wols
on Feb 17, 2011 at 11:31 am

e-readers baby!! thats the way to go. B&N made a smart move to invest in Nook. Borders missed the boat ... plain and simple.

Posted by OLGomer
on Feb 17, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Gary: the Danville Library's open for browsing.

Posted by C. R. Mudgeon
on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:12 pm

A related question is what happens to libraries as books and other reading materials increasingly become digital files, rather than paper. Will libraries provide downloads? If so, how will they "lend" the download, to distinguish a free library download from a purchased file? Perhaps a file that "self-destructs" (so to speak) after the three-week lending period is up....

I know I like "real paper", and will miss it. But at some point the economic advantages of putting bits into a reader will outweigh the pleasures of holding a real book.

Posted by OLGomer
on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:25 pm

The Babylonians felt the same way. Dam' papyrus just didn't have the heft of that clay they enjoyed.

Posted by Citizen Paine
on Feb 18, 2011 at 8:44 am

You know, it would be very cool if Borders donated the contents of that store to CoCo County library system.

I won't hold my breath, of course, but has anyone ever considered a campaign? I think they're HQ'd in dear Ann Arbor (which "seems like a dream to me, now"), or at least they were founded there.

Whattdyathink Madame Editor? Would some sleuthing be possible?

Posted by Steve
on Feb 19, 2011 at 5:48 am

Would love to see a Trader Joe's move in to that space!

Posted by Chuck
on Feb 20, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Good Joke Steve!

Posted by gary
on Feb 22, 2011 at 8:26 am

OK, folks, I get the Babylon and papyrus jokes. Very funny. The truth is that many people cannot or do not want to use an e-reader. My seat mate on the plane last month was mad that his wasn't back-lit for low-light reading. It goes on and on. And how about the wonderful cover art, and the ability to leaf through it at will, instead of scrolling all over? I remember a discussion years ago when CD's came out vs. albums, and one of the things lost was the size of the terrific cover art., and liner notes inside or on the back cover of so many classic alums. With CD's, the font is so small you need a magnifying glass to read it. And with itunes now, you get nothing, just the song. Maybe some of us want to know a song a bit deeper.
I embrace technology but it isn't great for everything. All of a sudden to some, books are out-dated????? And though the library is good for browsing , thanks, but i prefer to own my books.

Posted by Jimbo
on Feb 22, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Doug,

What a pathetic fellow you are that you'd turn a sad story about the loss of a local business into Obama-bashing. This, for good or bad, is the story of capitalism and technology.