Streetwise: What's your all-time favorite movie?

Original post made on Feb 24, 2011

Last week, roving reporter Stan Wharton asked chocolate lovers at Danville chocolates about their most memorable dates. Keeping with the idea of appropriate first date conversation, Stan went to Danville Square to ask residents ==B What is your all-time favorite movie?==

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, February 24, 2011, 2:58 PM

Posted by Hal Bailey
a resident of another community
on Feb 24, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Dear Dolores,

Marilyn and I went on our first date on St. Valentine's Day and saw "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie." It is one of my favorites, but I tend toward "The Music Man" and "The Sting" as part favorite movies and part training films.

But think of "To kill a mockingbird" or "Guess who's coming to dinner" or so many more movies that shaped and reflected moments in our lives or maybe more shaped our culture.

Stan's next question needs to be "what are your favorite hobbies" please to aid me in my search for one.

Great Stuff, applause to Stan,

halbailey@yahoo.com

Posted by Citizen Paine
on Feb 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm

"Inherit the Wind" here.

When I first saw it, it suggested to me that my own doubts were worthy of examination. Great script, and what a cast: Spencer Tracy, Gene Kelly, Fredric March, Col. Potter, Claude Akins, Mr. Ed's human, Rockfod's dad, etc.

A movie for the ages, obviously -- as we're fighting the same battles today.

Posted by Stan
on Feb 24, 2011 at 9:28 pm

The original 1962 Manchurian Candidate.

Posted by gary
a resident of San Ramon Valley High School
on Feb 25, 2011 at 10:44 am

On our first date back in 1976, my wife and I went to dinner and the movie "Bad News Bears" (The original starring Walter Matthau). We both wanted to see something light and funny, and both liked baseball. We laughed a lot. Little did we know that we would get married, have 2 boys in little league, and that I would coach several youth teams. As far as my favorite film, it is "Gone With the Wind." My wife doesn't have a favorite, but loves re-runs of "Pretty Woman", "Sound of Music".

Posted by Jessica Lipsky
on Feb 25, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I probably couldn't have answered this question!

My top three are Goodfellas (which is absolutely perfect in every way), Coming to America (Eddie Murphy at his finest, I have a soft spot for actors who play multiple roles in the same movie) and Kentucky Fried Movie.

Jessica Lipsky
Editor

Posted by jrm
a resident of Vista Grande Elementary School
on Feb 25, 2011 at 4:44 pm

jrm is a registered user.

Blazing Saddles.....Mel Brooks' masterpiece...
It's Twooo...It's Twooo

Posted by Citizen Paine
on Feb 26, 2011 at 11:31 am

Ack -- a thousand pardons: the actor who played the "Scopes" analog in Inherit the Wind was NOT Mr. Ed's human, who was Allan Young (of course, of course).

It was Dick York, Bewitched's human.

That is all.