Corrupt Danville Cops

Original post made by jrm, Vista Grande Elementary School, on Mar 5, 2011

Wow...I am angry that now the highly vaunted "Contra Costa Narcotics Task Force" scandal now has a Danville cop involved....according to the media they were targeting specific men for DUI arrests. I must say, as I drive to Lunardi's every day they have a moto cop hiding waiting in front of San Ramon High in the shadows waiting to bust folks for whatever. It has become a joke in my family, how many cops will you see hiding between El Cerro and Sycamore. Umm...dare I say I hope they are not earning overtime doing this active surveillance of high crime activity. True story...a few months ago I was getting my haircut in the Frontier Barbershop and a San Ramon cop parked his motorcycle in the driveway between Forward Motion and the barbershop, a patron tried to drive in, could not because the moto blocked the driveway, the driver kindly went into the barbershop where the cop was getting a free haircut and asked him to move his moto...the cop said in essence, whenever I get done...10 minute later the citizen came back in and said..."hey man, move your moto..they cop ignored him and snickered at us in the barbershop...and this was a San Ramon cop. I was appalled at his arrogance and disregard for a reasonable request to move his moto illegally parked in the driveway. He clearly felt he was special and could park his moto wherever he damn well pleased. Don't get me wrong, I support our cops, in spite of their unparralled retirement benefits at a mere 53 years of age, but if there are more of these rogues let's bust them big time...and stop the increasing hiding in the shadows downtown to write a $300.00 ticket for a California stop. BTW, I have not had a ticket in 30 years, I have no axe to grind.

Posted by American
on Mar 6, 2011 at 8:56 am

I think the correct title should be, "Corrupt Danville Cop", not "Corrupt Danville Cops", as my understanding from the newspaper is that it involved only one Danville officer. I also agreed with Sheriff Livingston's comment that although it is a sad day for the Contra Costa Sheriffs Department with this arrest, this should not reflect on the integrity or professionalism of the nearly 1,000 other members of the Department.

Posted by Citizen Paine
on Mar 6, 2011 at 9:44 am

I'd like to agree with American, but I think I need some reassurance. Do we Know that shenanigans like setting up and targeting certain individuals for DUIs in an effort to damage and discredit them are rare -- or would we just prefer to believe it's so?

More generally, the local constabulary have squandered a great deal of good will since they've become more identified with revenue-raising than public protection. I, too, find their strategically placed speed traps to be annoying -- and in my case occasionally expensive.

Someone is bound to raise issues of local vehicular tragedies and ask if I'd prefer more of them. I don't think there's much logical linkage there, and I really do wonder whether patrolling those points where speed limits change -- e.g., SRV Blvd inbound from Podva, or Diablo Road inbound from the Camino Tass light, 'really' contributes to safer streets or a safer town.

Posted by Treebeard
on Mar 6, 2011 at 10:54 am

For another view on such matters, visit Motorcopblog Web Link

Posted by jrm
a resident of Vista Grande Elementary School
on Mar 6, 2011 at 11:17 am

jrm is a registered user.

American..you are absolutely correct, at least based on the current list of those charged in this widening scandal there is only one Danville cop charged. I would second Citizen Paine's comment about traffic fines..fines went up twice in 2010 and again in January of 2011. The cost of running a red light is now $479.00!! Park for a minute in a handicapped spot and it will cost you $978.00. And of course there are generally increases in your auto insurance as well as a result of receiving the ticket. We all know the California budget crisis is the driving factor in this (sorry for the pun).
This is highway robbery (oops I did it again). But seriously, these fees are way out of line for minor infractions in my view and based on the trend it will not stop escalating until we say no more! So beware..the moto cops hide between cars parked in front of San Ramon High, hide behind the bushes in front of the fire station at Podva and San Ramon Valley Blvd, hide in the bushes along Diablo Road across from Larson's, hide along El Cerro and Turrini, hide next to Big O tires along Railroad and hide in the gas station at Sycamore and San Ramon Valley Blvd. all of these are within a half mile of the police station. I don't blame the cops, they don't make the laws they just enforce them but the old joke about the unfair speed traps in small southern towns is actually a reality right here in Danville.
Achtung!!

Posted by Obeying the law in danville
on Mar 6, 2011 at 12:01 pm

@ JRM,

You are absolutely right, those cops should not be allowed to hide they should have big signs posted so you know in certain areas you should obey the traffic laws. Like say, a big black and white sign with a speed limit posted on it? Or say a big red sign with the words "STOP." If they did that, then you wouldn't have to be so scared of not knowing where they were. You could simply obey these signs in certain areas and drive safely. Oh wait.... they already do that!

As for the fines, I agree they are a lot of money. But, who parks in a handicap spot? If you are above the law and park there while you drop off a rented video or run a fast errand, those of us that are circling the parking lot to find a normal spot will have no problem with you getting a thousand dollar ticket. Everyone knows you shouldn't park in a handicap spot, if you are dumb enough to do so I have no sympathy for the fine you face. I agree that other fines for seatbelt, speeding, etc... are hefty, but again, if they were only twenty dollars then everyone would be doing it.

Posted by Citizen Paine
on Mar 6, 2011 at 12:14 pm

@Treebeard: please, Lawd -- don't let the Danville cops get a chopper! I'll slow down -- honest! ;-)

Posted by jrm
a resident of Vista Grande Elementary School
on Mar 6, 2011 at 12:47 pm

jrm is a registered user.

Treebeard...that was hilarious! Was that Warren Rupf I saw piloting the chopper? To Obey...totally agree with the handicapped spots, my bro in law is in a wheelchair and more than once I have politely chided someone healthy I saw parking in one of those spaces, I was only objecting to the amount of the fine...and remember those are "after tax" dollars after all. Raising taxes requires a public vote, jacking up fines and fees generally do not and given the trend of increases these fines will be even more in the stratosphere. I don't care if the cops hide, I always obey the speed limits anyway. Back to the original point of this topic, I wonder if the female decoys drinking with the hapless men at The Vine face any criminal prosecution as well.

Posted by sponge bob roundpants
on Mar 8, 2011 at 6:04 am

Female decoys? Are they on the payroll as well? Seriously, this is my tax dollars at work?

Posted by Joe
on Mar 8, 2011 at 8:03 am

Throw the book at him, along with Butler and Welsh. Dirty cops...nothing worse.

Posted by samiam
on Mar 8, 2011 at 8:04 am

My only complaint is that on the two occasions I have had a need for local police they didn't show up at all. I was very disappointed. My previous experience with the police forces in other towns was vastly superior. Even Oakland PD responded to a call. San Leandro's set up community meetings when we encountered home break ins (as are occuring now in Danville) to reassure the public and answer questions. It seems that our police department could do at least as well, I know they are not under nearly as much pressure as Oakland's.

Posted by danville police are great
on Mar 8, 2011 at 8:29 am

danville police blocking a driveway downtown to stop speeders and prevent a collision with a pedestrian or possible car accident is a good thing. sorry to hear how easy it is to ruin your day. truth be told the danville police are quite talented at quick response and good police work. in a real emergency the police would be at your doorstep within 3 minutes. and that would be 3-4 cars and not just one police car. remember they have lots of practice busting the non white poeple of other contra costa cities like richmond, concord, antioch, martinez and then they come to danville. so be happy. maybe you could park at the huge lot behind danville hotel near lunardis and walk to the downtown barber shop. lazy much?

Posted by samiam
on Mar 8, 2011 at 8:36 am

The problem I have is that they will NOT be at my doorstep quickly, in my case, in 2 out of 2 incidents they simply did not show up at all. That is not acceptable. The nasty, racist tone of your comment is unnecessary as you do not know my race....as I said, the Oakland police did arrive when I called them as did the San Leandro Police.

Now, regarding whether someone COULD walk to the business, of course they could....However the comment indicates that the SAN RAMON police officer was abusing his authority simply because he could. That is not a desirable trait.

Posted by jrm
a resident of Vista Grande Elementary School
on Mar 8, 2011 at 9:50 am

jrm is a registered user.

Just to clarify the San Ramon moto cop/barbershop incident, the driveway in between the barbershop and Forward Motion leads to the private parking lot behind Forward Motion. An employee of Forward Motion was just trying to park where he was supposed to and go to work. He was polite both times he requested the San Ramon cop move his illegally parked moto. I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill but I was just struck by the cop's arrogance. For the most part our cops are great I think, I say "I think" because actually I have never dealt with one in my 25 years of living here, my beef is the what seems aggresive enforcement of traffic laws to beef up the collection of outrageous new fines. These fines are surreptiously increased without public input or knowledge and the trends indicate receiving a minor infraction will cost you the equivalent of a month's worth of groceries.

Posted by Al
a resident of Charlotte Wood Middle School
on Mar 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Completely agree that the Danville PD spends FAR too much time busting frazzled moms just trying to get their kids to school... Disclaimer - my wife and I have never gotten one of those speeding/rolling stop trap tickets, but I've occasionally done a couple of runs taking the kids to schools and I've seen other poor moms pulled over and the cops hiding out waiting many times. I've spotted the cops waiting in those areas at just the times when moms are rushing to get the kids to school. It's just disgusting. The moms are not hurting anyone at all even if they are doing 35 in a 25 at 8:45AM when there isn't anyone on the street anyway. It's sick. Give the poor moms a break and WORK ON THE AUTO THEFTS and BANK ROBBERIES!!!

Oh, that's really hard work? Too bad. I work hard too. I've always believed that cops in these easy, fairly safe, sleepy suburb towns need to spend at least a six month tour of duty in some nasty Oakland neighborhood or the Tenderloin ducking bullets, so that they actually earn their cushy pensions before they retire at 43 and start their landscaping business...

Posted by danville moms
on Mar 8, 2011 at 9:01 pm

the danville police "really" just pull over danville moms just after they drop off their kids and right before they get to starbucks so they can stare at their wonderfully bought plastic products that usually come in sets of 2 and ryhme with big bouncing tips.

Posted by cardinal
a resident of Diablo
on Mar 9, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Goodness, Moms: I'm no fan of bolt-ons, but I guess you like 'em even less than I do!

Posted by JCS
on May 6, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Look, wake up Danville. What was going on and is continuing in policing Danville was known by all those in the police department and city management. But given they like the revenue sharing from the DUI's fines and other tracfic tickets no one said anything or raised questions.

As we have seen over the last several years, public employees have been sealing us blind. Danville is not exception. It is a shake down with a smile.