Hartz Avenue institution closing after 30 years

Original post made on Apr 26, 2011

La Ultima, the New Mexican restaurant which has occupied a prime Hartz Avenue locale for 32 years, will officially shut its doors on Saturday, April 30.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, April 25, 2011, 11:38 PM

Posted by Thom Cady and Jom Gregson
a resident of another community
on Apr 26, 2011 at 7:23 am

Gosh, we remembered her parents from Oakland, to Danville and Walnut Creek. In our 22 years now in Southwest Florida, we have not found any authentic recipes at any restaurants to match La Ultima. Best wishes, Thom and Jim, Fort Myers, FL

Posted by JC
on Apr 26, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Wow! This is a really sad day. I have been eating at La Ultima since they opened. In fact, even when we moved to Stockton for a few years, whenever someone was heading for the Bay Area, we always asked them to bring La Ultima Tamales and Carnitas back for us. I even had LaUltima Tamales broght in specially for me at my Wedding Dinner.
I will really miss them..I guess nothing lasts forever.

Posted by Linda J. Tullis
on Apr 26, 2011 at 11:54 pm

NOBODY does chile rellenos like you do! We sure will miss you!

Posted by john tanner
on Apr 27, 2011 at 9:06 am

A place like this closes, and a health department dump like Don Jose's in Alamo manages to stay open. The rugs at Don Jose's are teeming with gunge, uck.

La Ultima fell prey to a very poor drive-by appearance, and an even worse inside layout. They failed to make the investment to stay current, and with all the turnover and competition for entertainment food dollars in Danville, staying current is a must. A good lesson for the owner and both current and future restaurateurs.

Posted by Carol
a resident of another community
on May 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Growing up in northern New Mexico I was so excited when I discovered La Ultima years ago!! Living in Livermore I didn't get there often, but always looked forward to it. I'll miss their stacked enchiladas and sopapillas! There's no where in the area to find really good Mexican food like NEW Mexican at La Ultimas. Good luck with your new venture!