Pit bull kills dog in Blackhawk, owner at large

Original post made on Apr 27, 2011

Authorities are looking for the owner of a white pit bull that killed a papillon on Thursday night while the smaller dog was on a walk in Blackhawk. Dan Barrett, deputy director of Contra Costa County Animal Services Department, said his department contacted the owner of the property from which the pit bull came, but the homeowner did not own the dog.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 4:55 PM

Posted by TL Nelson
on Apr 27, 2011 at 12:20 am

Dog owners should be accountable for the actions of their pets. Any person who is irresponsible enough to own a pit bull should suffer the full consequences of the law when their animal injures, harms or violently kills others. I hope this dog's owner is found and brought to justice.

What is wrong with people who own these vicious dogs?

Posted by Razmatanian
on Apr 27, 2011 at 8:19 am

Jessica, did they really euthanize the veterinarian? I feel really bad about Indigo, but your writing skills made me laugh.

Posted by HO Resident
a resident of Blackhawk
on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:15 am

I live in this neighborhood...
Does anyone know the actual address where this pit bull attack occurred?

Posted by C. R. Mudgeon
on Apr 27, 2011 at 11:58 am

I like how it is stated that there are "a couple generations of people" living at the house. I'm assuming that this means more than just parents and their children, which would constitute "a couple of generations"... Possibly the quoted person meant to say that there is more than one family represented amongst the home's residents.

Possible violation of HOA covenants?

It is also interesting that it is so hard to determine who the dog owner is. In any case, the homeowner will be responsible for any civil court remedies.

Posted by Ty Bluford
a resident of another community
on Apr 27, 2011 at 12:24 pm

pit bulls should be banned for the private citizen ownership; plain and simple!

Posted by walker
a resident of Blackhawk
on Apr 27, 2011 at 2:43 pm

To HO resident: I also live in HO, and I walk several miles every day. About 2 weeks ago I was accosted by a black pit bull at the same location where this incident occurred. It is the unkempt house by the back gate with all the old vehicles in the driveway.

Posted by HO resident
a resident of Blackhawk
on Apr 27, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I knew it! I just had a feeling it was that house.

They have really cleaned it up over the last few months... I wonder if they are planning to sell!

Posted by Greg Landeau
a resident of Walnut Creek
on Apr 27, 2011 at 4:49 pm

In over 20+ years of teaching in Redwood City--the majority of families who owned pitbulls did so to protect their Mexican drug cartel stashes. Stealing (oh shock!) small dogs to train the pits on was common as well. Of course everyone was on the free gov food program, people!

Posted by Dan
a resident of Blackhawk
on Apr 28, 2011 at 11:57 am

I take frequent walks at Diablo Vista Park, and around the area, and I have seen a white pit bull there as well.

The pitbull lives at the apartments across the street. Villas at Monterosso. That pitbull acts agressive when I saw it.

I have seen the pitbull taking walks behind the storage on Camino Tassajara, on the little trail there.

Probably this was the dog, and of course they cannot locate it because it does not live in the houses, but in the apartments. They probably have just locked the dog in the apartment until everyone forgets about it.

The pitbull is white, has scars like it is a fighting dog, wears no collar, and I'am pretty sure he ain't registered.

The owner drives a tinted black Acura sedan. I saw the pitbull getting out of the car in Safeway on Camino Tassajara. The owner is a white fat, short, man with tatoos.

They better catch the pitbull before he mauls a child, elderly, adult, or another dog.

Posted by MWB
on Apr 29, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Feel free to read or peruse this:

Web Link

Posted by MWB
on Apr 29, 2011 at 1:26 pm

...and more on the same here:

Web Link

Posted by anonymous
a resident of another community
on Apr 30, 2011 at 10:09 pm

My small dog was attacked by a pit bull that jumped a six-foot fence. She only had a bite mark on her neck, I was able to fend the pit off with a metal pole, which was in the back of a nearby pick-up, which I had thrown my three dogs into, but the one who got bit jumped backed out. Any dog that attacks should be taken by animal control, let the 'owner' pay to get it out, and any dog that kills another should be put down! Why should we (and our dogs) be afraid to take a walk on our own streets.

Posted by HO Resident 2
a resident of Blackhawk
on May 1, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Pitbulls get a bad rap because of the media. Pitbulls are bred to be dog aggressive but not aggressive to humans. They did this so that humans could literally stick their hands in the pitbull's mouth while they were fighting another dog and it wouldn't bite. Don't blame the animal, blame the owner that left their pitbull unleashed. There are plenty stories of cuddly golden labs that bite people yet those stories are glossed over.

Posted by Osage Park Jogger
on May 3, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I agree that there are plenty of ill mannered aggressive dogs besides pit bulls. I frequently go to Osage Park with my medium sized dogs and they have been attacked by small toy breed dogs more often then I can remember. The thing is that they only lose a clump of fur before the owner can yank the pint size bully away. Also the unsocial golden retrievers & labs (which there are unfortunately quite a few) usually have responsible owners who keep them on a leash & can control them.
The point is that a "pit bull" has jaws that can inflict extremely severe damage with one bite and is genetically hardwired to fight requiring owners that are more knowledgeable & responsible then someone who owns a golden retriever. Also, when a dog is in the middle of a fight I don't think it would be able to reliably distinguish who it was biting.

Posted by Laury
a resident of another community
on Feb 21, 2013 at 11:10 pm

All dogs need training along with their owners. I've had 2 sweet dogs killed by neighbor dogs. An akita killed my pekingese and a German shepherd killed my chihuahua within an 8 year span. No more dogs for me. We do not hear reports of this happening unless it's a pit bull. What good is it to spend time training a sweet dog to have it brutally killed by an untrained one? I realise I need training to confront an attacker. Please, post any info for timid dog owners.