Nurses protest what they say are unsafe staffing levels

Original post made on Aug 24, 2011

At least 200 registered nurses held a protest this morning to show their opposition to what they say are chronic unsafe nurse-to-patient staffing levels at Kaiser Permanente's Walnut Creek hospital, according to California Nurses Association spokeswoman Debra Grabelle.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 4:14 PM

Posted by Ex Patient
on Aug 24, 2011 at 6:56 am

No question that Upper Management wants to do cut backs all the while each starting year the Kaiser costs go up at the cost to clients, consumers, and patients.

I was placed in a recovery room and left to fend for myself where I fell from bed and crashed against a large metal cabinet which caused major cuts to my face causing much bleeding and left on the cold floor while little to nothing was done to help me till much time elapsed.

There was another time when nurse didnt want to stay till my spinal injection worn off and caused major urinary problems when she said go home. Which only left me in major danger after recovery from knee surgery as a result of spinal injection to numb lower body and my evacuations couldnt not work without hospital assistance but I was told to go home before time.

Just a few incidents I have experienced as a result of management cut backs.

Posted by Reality
on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:44 am

Give me a break! They don't have a staffing problem, they have a union problem. Crush the union, fire them all and hire real nurses who care about patients and not themselves. Suddenly your "staffing problem" goes away, care improves dramatically and everyone is happy exept the frauds and the leftist politicians who suck on the union teet. These frauds won't be happy until every patient has his own nurse and they are paying another to be on call in case that one gets a hang nail and needs 6 weeks off.

Anecdotal stories of someone falling at a hospital have nothing to do with staffing levels, it has ti do with laziness (bred by unions) and incompetence (protected by unions). Don't believe a word said by these union frauds.

Posted by Derek
on Aug 24, 2011 at 11:50 am

Oh goody, another faux news listener with his "big bad evil unions" posting on the board.
Your accusation of Ex-Patient's post being "Anecdotal" or fraudulent just shows the scope of your ignorance unReality. I know first hand and have many years of experience with problems at both Walnut Creek and Kaiser Fremont. You want incompetence? Keep hiring nurses out of places like Russia and India where you can get them cheaper. They aren't asking for more money unreality, they are asking for safety in the work place. Get a clue, and please, if you hate American labor so much, move somewhere you won't have to worry over unions. I hear the Ukraine is nice.

Posted by Reality
on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Derek the leftist,

You are good student of the lefty play book. Start by attempting to delegitimize the other side by calling them a Faux News viewer so anything I say is invalid. This Play works with most softheaded leftists. Then say I'm ignorant for saying a patient's isolated story is anecdotal when clearly you have no clue what it means. Another poor attempt to delegitimize the messenger. Next change the subject on a tangent about Russian and Indian nurses as if I am suggesting that. Then for the big finale, accuse me if hating and invite me to move to another country.

To clarify, I don't hate anybody and I think unions have a valid place in our society. Unfortunately like locusts, they keep eating until there is nothing left. They have ruined the auto, steel, furniture, textile and most other manufacturing industries in this country. Fortunately kaiser can't move overseas but if the union bosses get their way the system will eventually fail and we'll get the single payer utopia that you leftists want so badly. Back to the lefty playbook of collapsing the system from the inside, then all of those union nurses can be government workers and every patient in the government hospital can have their own nurse. Try getting your care at a VA facility, it's not the utopia you think.

Back to the point, Kaiser nurses are underworked and overpaid not because of their skills, brains or qualifications but because they pay their union dues. Just because a union boss says patients are in danger doesn't make it true. As a general rule, if a union boss says anything advocating more employees it likely isn't true.

Posted by Florence Nightingales
on Aug 24, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Sounds like they're setting up the excuses for protests and strikes if needed. Most of the rest of the country (&world) have worked with furlough cuts in pay for several years,,,,that's IF they still have a job, Inflation has been zero for 3 years...so why would there even be any COL ? ? ? Must less anything else....So always wanting more, more, more, they're going for less work, reduced work load.

Posted by Diablogirl
on Aug 25, 2011 at 8:19 am

I respect the nurses at Kaiser WC. I have had several operations with Kaiser (two within the last 2 years) and every time I have felt I received quite good care. I've been with Kaiser for 30 years and have been very satisfied with the nursing staff. Unfortunately, due to a upcoming job relocation, I will have to be leaving Kaiser. From those I know who have had to leave, after a period of time they all have said they miss the quality of care they had received at Kaiser. I can believe that they are understaffed, but I must say, I feel the nurses have always worked hard to take care of their patients. Thank you to the nurses of Kaiser. The problem is with the entire United States health care system.

Posted by Farmer Dave
a resident of another community
on Aug 25, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Farmer Dave is a registered user.

@Reality:

You seem to be into logical thinking, so I have a question for you. If nurses are so "overpaid and under worked", why is it that hospitals have so much difficulty hiring nurses?

Maybe it's because people find getting a college degree in another field will enable them to enter a MORE lucrative career?

Posted by Anne the nurse
a resident of Walnut Creek
on Aug 25, 2011 at 8:06 pm

There are plenty of nurses from our impacted nursing programs. Hospitals CHOOSE to hire third worlders over American born and educated staff!! Peoe who have little grasp of basic English have no business in health care......

Posted by No Nightingales
on Aug 30, 2011 at 11:17 pm

,...,,.just a union tactic to get more, to make their work easier.
Undrstandable, but where does it stop...just more every year !!