Bicyclist seriously injured after collision on Bollinger Canyon Road

Original post made on Mar 15, 2012

A 13-year-old San Ramon boy was riding his bicycle on the sidewalk along the south side of Bollinger Canyon Road at the Interstate 680 on-ramp when he collided with a white Toyota Prius on Thursday afternoon. The Bollinger Canyon ramp onto southbound I-680 was shut down.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, March 15, 2012, 3:45 PM

Posted by Sarah
on Mar 15, 2012 at 4:36 pm

This is very sad and scarry. I often see cyclists riding without a helmet....isn't there a law that cyclists must wear helmets??

Posted by In Alamo
on Mar 16, 2012 at 7:15 am

Freeway entrances and exits are MOST dangerous for bicycle riders. Most cars do not seem to see riders or even pedestrians on the cross walk. Also, if the visible distance is "short" a bike can move much faster than pedestrians and hit the vehicle. I always thought bicycles are MUCH MORE dangerous because they have limited visibility and higher speed.

All the best and our prayers for the boy.

Posted by Concerned Parent
a resident of Walnut Creek
on Mar 16, 2012 at 10:22 am

This story frustrates me because time and time again, automobiles are traveling with no concern for kids or adults on bicycles, and I can count on two hands the times that I have seen cars cross through a crosswalk right in front of kids or adults walking and /or riding. Everyone is in such a hurry nowadays. Slow Down people before you kill someone! That poor boy...I hope he recovers and is back riding again soon with his friends.

Posted by Joe
on Mar 16, 2012 at 11:53 am

The other night I was driving up Diablo Road to get on the freeway (680) heading toward San Jose. It was very dark and raining hard. Here comes two joggers in the middle of the street - it's a miracle that I didn't run them over. Who would expect that people would dumb enough to put themselves in harm way like that? If I had to jog that bad I would go to a school with a track and run safely. I just don't understand the mentality behind their decision to run on the street in the darkness while it's raining.

Posted by Jeff
on Mar 16, 2012 at 12:40 pm

It's horrible what's happened to this poor boy. Unfortunately I have to agree with Joe in a way.

I am a runner. I run a good 50-60 miles a week, and I run on the side of the road facing traffic as the law states. There's not a day that goes by that I don't see people talking, texting, not paying attention in general flying down Sycamore. I make it a point to be on high alert ALL THE TIME.

Another thing I have noticed is the general lack of respect that cyclists have for the road and it's laws. They think they own the road, the bike lane, the side walk, etc. One can't have it all ways. Kids should be taught this, and should be wearing helmets at all times as the law states as well.

In short...cyclists, drivers, and runners alike all need to be more cautious and aware of their surroundings at all times. It's a miracle this doesn't happen everyday around here.

Posted by Another Sarah
on Mar 16, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Everyone just please be careful out there. This isn't a time to blame - it's a time to be sending thoughts and prayers to this young man's family. And to be thinking about what each of us can do to be safer on our roads.

Posted by SRVHS Parent
a resident of San Ramon Valley High School
on Mar 16, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I agree with all the criticisms of the bicyclist as well as the lack of care and caution by motorist. Unfortunately i haven's seen one mention of the car the motorist was driving - - a SILENT CAR, MAKES NO NOISE - the Prius makes NO SOUND - while the bicyclist was certainly irresponsible, how many us have been walking in a parking lot and found one of those silent things right upon yoy.....

Posted by Diane
on Mar 16, 2012 at 6:40 pm

This is tragic - I'll pray (hard) for all involved. Sometimes this, along with reminding those around you to be extra careful at all times, is the best we can do. Accidents do, indeed, happen.

Posted by frankly
on Mar 21, 2012 at 6:32 am

With due and great concern for young bike rider, still, WE all need to slow down and drive a bit slower to save a life. Unfortunately, there are too many who believe that they own the road and drive with little concerns and then want to blame someone else. This is the "modern" way.

Everywhere one sees speeders in neighborhoods, they need to slow down.

Do your part and begin to slow down, request slow down to protect not only children but one's own life.

Seems that everyone around here drives a fancy modern car and therefore feels they are given carte blanche to speed for their lack of diligence to where they are!!!!!

Slow down, protect lives, gas money, and vehicle repair costs.

May you do your part soon before ....

S