'My favorite religious holiday'

Original post made on Apr 6, 2012

The story of Passover is one of challenge and hope, which is easily understood by family members of all ages. My own relationship to the holiday has changed throughout the years, as has my willpower to avoid cereal and pasta.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, April 5, 2012, 10:35 AM

Posted by G-Man, a resident of Danville
on Apr 6, 2012 at 8:44 am

OK, so where is the article about the true meaning of Easter? As a Catholic, it isn't lost on me that too many times in the press and pop culture today, Jewish Passover is seen as this uber-serious holiday (to wit, this article), and Easter is treated as if its all about candy Peeps and chocolate bunnies (see the other article in today's edition of this publication on Easter candy!)... well, it's anything but that. I'm not going to preach, but c'mon, let's give equal coverage here. Easter egg hunts are NOT the true meaning of Easter, and Passover isn't the only thing going on this weekend.

Posted by Catholic, a resident of Danville
on Apr 6, 2012 at 9:28 am

I completely agree with you, "G-Man". I have been concerned that Danville Express seems anti-Catholic, especially with the non-sense their paid blogger, Tom Cushing, has written about our church's religious practices being violated by President Obama's healthcare plan. Maybe it is time for Catholics to stop buying advertisments in this periodical, and stop spending money on any advertisers who do?

Posted by Jessica Lipsky, a resident of Danville
on Apr 6, 2012 at 11:17 am

Let me be the first to assure you that the Danville Express, San Ramon Express and Embarcadero Media are not anti-Catholic or Christian. The opinions of Tom Cushing are not necessarily those of our staff or this paper.

Growing up Jewish in the San Ramon Valley, I didn't see a ton of information on Passover in our local papers. This article is just meant to inform readers about a holiday many are unaware of and provide a youthful, fun perspective on what has been a traditionally serious event.

I wish a very happy spring season to all Valley residents, regardless of religious denomination.

Jessica Lipsky
Editor

Posted by PSMacintosh, a resident of Danville
on Apr 7, 2012 at 12:08 am

Thanks for sharing that "slice of life" and holiday viewpoint.
I think it always takes a bit of guts to put one's personal life out to display, especially one's spiritual/religious side.

G-Man and Catholic: As to the "lack of articles about the true meaning of Easter" argument:
Don't forget that this is an ONLINE FORUM and YOU are able to initiate/start your own posting of your own views or issues or information. (There is only limited censorship.) So you could create the "balance" that you feel is missing.
Knowing, of course, that whatever you submit will be subject to the scrutiny and "comments" of others. (And some folks can be downright nasty, as you've probably seen.)

Posted by Mary, a resident of Danville
on Apr 7, 2012 at 7:31 am

Glad to see that others find the columnist T. Cushing as offensive and derisive. I do not think his diatribes are interesting or thoughtful. They are mean spirited and appear to be written with the intent to divide the readership. I am not opposed to different views, what I do oppose is bullying which I think this columnist is. Either that, or he is a sensationalist looking for readership. His attacks on Catholics are blatant and redundant.

Jessica, I hope your faith touches you personally this passover season and that you grow in it spiritually. Thanks for sharing your traditions with us, even if they are not the same as mine.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.